shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on color combos

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
I really love this ring by onegarnetgirl on etsy, but I''m not super thrilled about any of her color combinations in this design. Any suggestions?

I don''t mind white stones with a strong colored center stone. And I''d really prefer something strongly saturated, or at least not weak-ly saturated... if that makes any sense :razz:

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
I''m thinking iolite with white topaz on either side.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Kayla, what colors do you like? I think that ring design is yummy, but am with you about the colors. I have a set of rings made by her that I love (they're topazes in three blues, sideswept stack), and she'll do any colors she has on hand. You should convo her and ask! Mine is kind of like the blue topaz trio in that design but one step darker on all three.

Do you want two colors or three? Some might like this combo.

If you want saturated, what about this in reverse?

ETA: Just saw your last post, should have refreshed! I know she also has a darker blue topaz if you want something a little more lively than iolite and aren't topaz-opposed. I love blue and white together in most any form, though.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
I thought about the reversing the garnet, but I''m just not a huge fan of red :/ I really like that stacking set. I''m going to ask her about it.

How did you like working with her?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
She was really, really nice. The rings were the first piece of jewelry my BF ever got me that his SIL didn''t pick out (
3.gif
) and we had fun going through the process with her. If you tell her you want something saturated to go with white, I''m sure she can give you some ideas of what she has in that size. She seemed to have a bunch of things on hand.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much! I really really like her work and think she has a great eye.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A rich purple amethyst might be a good idea. They''re really inexpensive and some wonderful examples can be easily found these days.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2010 3:41:41 AM
Author: ma re
A rich purple amethyst might be a good idea. They''re really inexpensive and some wonderful examples can be easily found these days.

I think peridot would look great with amethyst.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
I think I''m going to go with iolite, because I''m really digging the bluish purple. I think that sandwiched between two white stones will look phenomenal! :]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will she be supplying the iolite? My concern is that a lot of iolites are very dark and grayish, without much liveliness. Yes, there are pretty ones but those are so few and far between.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thats a nice color, if a little grayish. The one thing I would say about the stones I have from her, which I didn''t think of the other night, is that the stones she supplied for me, while lovely and lively, are windowed. It might be something worth asking her about when she picks the iolite or whatever you go with.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a nice color. Maybe a blue spinel would go? I saw many people buying spinel from Barry - it seems to be nicely cut and lively. Re. side stones, you could use very light sapphires, too. I think that a combination of VERY light-blue sapphires (they are pretty inexpensive) and chocolate-like spinel looks great. In fact, I think someone posted Freke''s spinels. I would look at them - she has them lavender, brown, light-blue, what not - and choose a central stone flanked by two others. Just an idea.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
And suggestions for where to find nice looking sapphires in the 4-5mm range?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any spinel set myself, but I''d worry about how dark that would be bezeled, from other people''s experiences on here...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd look at two threads. Unfortunately, for some weird reason this computer refuses to copy I-net threads.
Both of them are on page 2 (so far). One is, "Blue spinel from Barry" - the color seems to be very nice. The other one, "Finally received my spinel from Dan" - it has a photograph of Freke's stones. I'd look at them, see what you like and then contact Barry and ask him to find and cut something similar. I can not read the color of Barry's spinel because I am new to reading colors but maybe Chrono or other experts will help.

As to sapphires...but this is just my idea - just browse the list of vendors (thread at the beginning of this forum) and see what they have. If they have one that you like, I'd ask if they can cut the other one from the remaining material. People have brought new rough after the show; it should take some time but it is easy. I bought my 4-ct untreated very light-blue sapphire from a dealer that was going out of business. Its advantage is that it is very bright, much brighter than the dark one. Just a happy stone.

If I have time tonight, I shall try helping you out.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Kayla, the one other thing I''d say is to take a look around here of IRL pics of her rings, if you can. Her bezels are good but they''re not as exact as HOW or JKT, exactly. I just posted one pic of my stackers in my JKT thread, and if you''re interested, can post a couple more.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 4:07:10 PM
Author: Novel
Kayla, the one other thing I''d say is to take a look around here of IRL pics of her rings, if you can. Her bezels are good but they''re not as exact as HOW or JKT, exactly. I just posted one pic of my stackers in my JKT thread, and if you''re interested, can post a couple more.
Yes, and I saw some of her works in argentum which is cheaper than gold but looks very nice and shiny.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Barry blue spinel you linked to will be even darker after being bezeled. For a bezel candidate, I''d go with something lighter so that it will darken up a little after it is set. Some stones will remain the same tone but most will darken. Just to be on the safe side, go with something one notch lighter than what you have in mind.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 4:10:18 PM
Author: crasru
Date: 2/27/2010 4:07:10 PM

Author: Novel

Yes, and I saw some of her works in argentum which is cheaper than gold but looks very nice and shiny.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant that I posted a pic of my OneGarnetGirl stackers in my JKT thread. They''re sterling, I think, but OGG seems to be working in argentium now, which is awesome.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 3:52:50 PM
Author: kayla.tastikk
What about this spinel from Barry?
It seems darkish to me but if you like this color. He states that there is no grey there; which means there is no gray. His prices are so low...If you like it I'd give it a try. He sells some "white" sapphires - I don't know if they are really white or just bluish; he can probably cut smaller stones; but see how bright they are! I'd email him with your questions if I were you.

From what I heard, no one has been unhappy with either his prices or his stones. I have not personally bought from him so I have no vested interest but he definitely has been characterized as a nice guy to deal with by other people here.

I like the design of your ring. It looks like a much more affordable verson of Upgradable's e-ring which I think is gorgeous.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
I like that it isn''t as precise as JKT, it looks organic to me. And I emailed Barry and he said the one I asked about was way too dark for a bezel. I''m going to reply to ask about him cutting one for me. Thanks for al the input, I''ll let y''all know what he says :]

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Exciting!

I just wanted to make sure you knew about the bezels. I do love my stackers, and they''re my everyday go to rings, so I''m with you!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the idea.

Barry is super easy to work with. If he has the rough he will cut something for you and if you like it you buy it.

Hope you find your stones soon!

ETA: Looks like OneGarnetGirl has added some cool new stuff to her site since I last looked.
21.gif

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Barry said he''s posting something similar to what I want this Wednesday. AH! I hope I can get something before everyone else scoops it up!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 11:24:53 PM
Author: kayla.tastikk
Barry said he''s posting something similar to what I want this Wednesday. AH! I hope I can get something before everyone else scoops it up!
Easy! Just stay up all night and get to the computer first thing in the morning (LOL).
Judging by your avatar, you have a baby - it should be very easy to stay up all night.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
I've got a baby, part time teaching job and 13 college hours. Staying up all night typically isn't an option... maybe I'll make an exception for this ;-)

But really, my son is nine months old though, so I'm very rarely up with him all night anymore (knock on wood!)

ETA: are we allowed to share personal stuff like that on pricescope?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
na-a, it was a semi-joke. My baby had colics till 10 mo of age, so it was a total disaster. I also worked but work seemed so relaxing in contrast to home life!

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I can''t imagine. My son has slept through the night pretty consistently since 2 months, and I''m super grateful that he''s a great baby.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results