shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on appraisal

pixelpie

Rough_Rock
I have just been given a few rings from my mother including her diamond ring. I plan on keeping it and would like to get an appraisal for insurance. The two places I called said they require you leave the ring with them.

Is that common? I’ve never had a ring appraised before and I just done know if that’s what people do…. My friends I’ve asked have all said don’t do that…. They can switch your stone out and you’ll never know… etc etc…

So, looking for advice on what’s is common practice and how concerned should I be about leaving it?

The jeweler I was considering had all the credentials and certifications listed that all seemed legit…. ‍♀️ Here’s a pic of said ring… 08B04A8D-8BA3-42BC-8C8D-01B44180412B.jpeg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How lovely of your mother to gift some of her rings to you! Many jewelry stores have an appraiser come in once a week or ship the item to the appraiser and that is why you can’t have it done in your presence. You could try searching NAJA, najaappraisers.com, and see if any are in your area and will let you be present for the appraisal. When I’ve done this they have given a verbal appraisal during the meeting and send the written report within a week. For your insurance, be sure to understand your policy and if they will write you a check and you get to pick the replacement diamond or if they will provide you with the replacement diamond.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no advice to offer, but… i love your beautiful new-to-you ring set! Such a classic setting and such lovely proportions! :kiss2: :kiss2:

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very, especially now post covid. People just don't retain the staff they once had. Most appraisers are in once a week if that.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
when i inherited some of my mother's rings i litterly looked through the yellow pages (on line)
not sure where you live but in my part of the world an appraiser would not be in business very long if he / she switched diamonds

my partner did actually have this worry (probably from reading the internet) but i got on the train into town, found the studio ...
and as the appraiser was looking over my rings he got all excitted at one ring and called his asistant over
turns out he recognised the work of someone he had trained with many years ago
i took this as a good sign
and it was

how about word of mouth ?
ask your family, freinds and workmates who they have used

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results