shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice Jeweler ethics/broke prong before I received new platinum ring is it sound?

SifuNeal

Rough_Rock
I am having a local jewelery chain create a 4 ring wedding stack out of platinum and my diamonds. The settings are all out of the Stuller catalog, with the engagement ring a 4 prong setting from their Ever and Ever collection. Yesterday, I went to pick up my rings, which should have been set and appraised, and the initial sales lady said there was a problem, that one of the prongs on the e ring broke, and that the manager (who has been my sales person) was with the jeweler and asked me to wait for him. When he came out, he did not mention the broken prong, just said they weren't done and could I please come back for pickup tomorrow.
My e ring center stone has an edge chip, and though it is an 8.2mm round, they valued it at $0 on the intake, meaning they won't replace it if they break it while setting it.
I am disturbed that he didn't mention the broken prong.
I know that all jewelers are not trained equally, and that platinum requires a different skill set.
So, Dr. Google says there are a variety of ways to fix this, and one Stuller rep suggests that if they use platinum wire it would be sound. Other jewelers suggest adding gold and doing various other things. Someone mentions the stone can be damaged if left in the setting during the repair. Remember that they will not cover my stone cost.
So, that was near closing last night and I plan to go in at opening this morning.
My concerns are that
A. The rep should have told me the prong had been broken and offered me the choice of repair or setting replacement. Plus explained the method of repair and integrity of the piece.
Did they use platinum wire to repair it, or one of the other less sound methods?
Even if this a sound repair, this is typically a sentimental piece and to have it broken before it left the store is frankly bad luck.
B. I need to know if they further damaged my stone. Was it left in the setting then exposed to the damaging high temp flame used to repair platinum? I have a GIA report for my stone and though they won't replace it, I think they should have their appraiser reassure me it did not receive further damage.
Please tell me your thoughts on this.
If you think I should not be concerned at all, tell me that too, but back it up with your raining, please.
Thanks!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I would ask/expect that they start over with a new setting. You are paying for a brand-new setting and should not be expected to accept a broken-then-repaired one. I might also consider starting over with the one they have not set yet at another jeweler…
I also don’t know why they valued your stone at zero dollars, but that would be something I’d ask about—Is it insured against damage while setting by their insurance and at what value and can you have proof of it?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This might seem a bit dramatic but if it were me I would find another jeweler for the following reasons:

The manager didn’t disclose the broken prong. Transparency is important as is trust, if I can’t trust you then game over.

The diamond isn’t covered for damage while being worked on. I had a diamond with significant chips to the girdle and the jewelers I considered for a reset assured me that their insurance would cover any damage in their care.

Has any work actually been completed yet? You shouldn’t feel like you are stuck with them because they started the work. You could always pay them for work they have done so far (that is satisfactory to you) and then take the diamond to another jeweler and have them set it.

ETA: it should not be impossible to find a jeweler skilled to work in platinum. If this jeweler is incapable then find someone qualified.

I would ask/expect that they start over with a new setting. You are paying for a brand-new setting and should not be expected to accept a broken-then-repaired one. I might also consider starting over with the one they have not set yet at another jeweler…
I also don’t know why they valued your stone at zero dollars, but that would be something I’d ask about—Is it insured against damage while setting by their insurance and at what value and can you have proof of it?
This might seem a bit dramatic but if it were me I would find another jeweler for the following reasons:

The manager didn’t disclose the broken prong. Transparency is important as is trust, if I can’t trust you then game over.

The diamond isn’t covered for damage while being worked on. I had a diamond with significant chips to the girdle and the jewelers I considered for a reset assured me that their insurance would cover any damage in their care.

Has any work actually been completed yet? You shouldn’t feel like you are stuck with them because they started the work. You could always pay them for work they have done so far (that is satisfactory to you) and then take the diamond to another jeweler and have them set it.

ETA: it should not be impossible to find a jeweler skilled to work in platinum. If this jeweler is incapable then find someone qualified.

Totally agree. In fact, I'm surprised they gave you the option to repair in the first place rather than just reordering the whole setting right away and let you know ASAP of the delay. I'm also alarmed that they managed to break a newly casted platinum prong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results