shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice from well-dressed PSers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel like I''m in a style slump.

I''ve had the same hair cut for years, the same fashion, the same everything. My entire closet is just jeans, t-shirts and sweaters all in the same style, but 80 different colors. I wear the same chapstick and mascara every single day.I rarely wear any accessories other than diamond stud earrings.

I feel like I''m stuck in that age (I''m 25) where I can''t be too trendy, but I don''t want to dress too conservatively either. What are the 20-something fashionistas on PS wearing? I need some suggestions for fall shopping, because I need some more style. Help! I don''t know where to start or what is even in style anymore!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
you might try with Lucky Magazine to find ideas too. I follow the Lucky guide to Shopping, it''s my shopping and clothing bible.

I''m 22, and right now I''m enjoying black fitted shirts/sweaters, greens, and browns. Lots of earth tones. I like skinny jeans, slacks, and my knee length "kaprishorts" like I like to call them. I''m also enjoying different colored heels, and scarves. I''ll post later with links to my favorite items and looks
2.gif

bugwife

Rough_Rock
25? You''re in style heaven--everything is marketed to you. You are who the designers want to dress.

I love Anthropologie, but many of their things are too young for me. They''d be great for you.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Dragonfly: I checked out Lucky mag - Can you believe I''ve never read that magazine before? Lots of cute suggestions in there, but I know if I included ANY leggings in my outfits, FF would have a field day making fun of me.

Hibiscus: Thanks! If I get signed up, does that mean I get a make over? Because... I''d kill for one. Seriously.
9.gif
I need some serious fashion help.

Bugwife: I know! 25 should be the time of my life for shopping and fashion, but I am SO bad at picking things out and putting outfits together. My brain is just not wired that way. I feel like I''m too plain, but I feel like if I wear something stylish I won''t be able to pull it off.

This is a good start!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
26, with a similar closet, LOL. I''ve mostly been trying to get at least a few fun and funky tops mixed in to my normal uniform of V neck and Jeans. Fun shoes, stuff like that.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
elle, tear out pictures from magazines and take them to a clothing store you feel comfortable in, let a fashionable sales clerk help you.
maybe do this once a month and soon you can build up a wardrobe you will feel good about, all the while developing your style.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
elle - I can''t pull leggings off either.... yet
27.gif

I tend to like classic ensembles. I love fitted shirts, and slacks, and I like to dress up! I love dresses but sadly find few that work with my work life. I have lots of jeans as well, but am trying to update my wardrobe. My problem is I"m in the midst of losing weight and each time I buy something, it''s too big a few weeks later
15.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m 21 and dress fairly conservatively for most girls my age.

I LOVE tights in any color, but I usually stick with black. I am not a fan of leggings anymore.

Dresses are everywhere lately. I wear them allllll of the time. Long ones, short ones, it doesn''t matter!

I am a huge fan of shirtwaist dresses. They create a cute figure for anyone and also don''t show too much skin.

There are some classics that will never go out of style. You can never go wrong with jeans, a fitted black shirt, and killer heels.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elle, I don''t know what your budget is like but I have found that Bloomingdales, Saks, Anthropologie, J.Crew, and Banana Republic often have a lot of basic with a twist clothing aimed at people in their mid 20''s.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I''m 25...fall shopping list included...I''m pretty conservative in the way I dress, because of my job

cashmere sweater dresses (Banana Republic had a few) if you''re okay spending upwards of $110.00 per dress (grey, plum, black, brown, cream, rust)
cord pants, in warm earthy colors with super soft sweaters
wide leg/low slung trousers with form fitting button up''s tucked in (gray, black, brown, pinstripped, and winter white)
3/4 sleeve wool coat in cream, brown and black
wide leg lounge pants with matching hoodie, and super soft tee shirt
dark wash wide leg jeans with cable knit sweaters
of course, black and brown pumps (Aldo had an adorable pair of white and black pumps that looked all scuffed up...I wear them with sweat dresses)
black and brown tights
Burberry trench
Blue, Brown and Black down vest

Thats it...I think...

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Elledizzy, I was just having a discussion with a friend along these lines last weekend. In the United States, we definitely have a "separates" fashion culture where we buy pieces willy-nilly, and on top of that we've slouched our way to more and more casual wear. Wash-and-wear certainly has its advantages (less expensive to maintain, unconstructed design allows people to gain weight and ignore that they have, less expensive to buy in the first place), but I think it's not uncommon for a certain percentage of the population to one day step into their closet, see it jam-packed with boring clothes and just say, "UGH!!"

Since you asked for tips, here are a few of the style trends I'm seeing this year; fortunately, none require a massive overhaul, but rather a few updating pieces:

-- Long "skinny jeans" that puddle around the ankle. Obviously, you have to make sure it fits your body type, but this year you'll probably have to finally update your jeans. I like dark finishes for fall. If you are built like a stick, pair it with something that stops at the waist; if you have curves, you'll need to also buy some longer pieces (like chunky sweaters or longer tunic-length shirts) to layer over your bum. Here's a good site with suggestions on how real women can wear this look: http://www.thebudgetbabe.com/

-- Fitted blazer or two. This alone will help pick you out of the doldrums of sweater-and-T-shirt culture in short order, and you can pair with your existing wardrobe pieces to save money.

-- Chunky, long "Boyfriend sweater" to wear over aforementioned skinny jeans, and perhaps paired with a belt to create a more feminine line.

-- Ankle boots. There's a range from almost-pumps to almost-mid-calf, so just try it on and find something you think is cool. As for a helpful hint, the higher the heel, the longer your leg is going to look in those skinny jeans; also, they look modern if you're wearing a skirt with tights.

-- Accessories! Seriously, fall 2008 is all about accessories. Scarves, loosely wrapped around the neck. With skirts, wear tights, both in basic black and jewel-tone color. Hats are back, especially the pinstripe fedora... but find what works for you.

Elledizzy, it would probably help to hear a little more about your current wardrobe. What pieces do you have that you love? Whose style do you see in magazines and like?

Does this help? What works, and what doesn't work for you? What do you think you need to do to update your look?
f-d-l

beau13

Ideal_Rock
As a certified Image Consultant, all I can say is make an appointment with an Image Consultant!
emwink.gif

I would tell people what cut/style of clothing best suits their body type. I would show the client how basic pieces can be so
versatile, and create many different outfits from that one pair of pants, skirt, jacket..etc. EVERYONE needs a white tailored shirt
cotton is fine. It can be worn with dress pants, jeans, skirts, dressed up or dressed down. Monocramatic outfits are great..and accessories are key! I like throwing together a simple pair of black pants, with a black turtlneck, or V-neck with long silver necklaces..a few (different lengths), bangles, earrings..whatever. Accessories REALLY make or break an ensemble. You can wear a simple $10 t-shirt dress for instance, with the right accessories, people will think your spent a fortune on your outfit! Boots are great..jeans with pointy toed boots and a belt with a unique buckle...and all you need is basic black or white on top, with other accessories. What a simple, comfortable look that says "I have style"!! I could go on and on..but you'd probably learn alot from a style consultant who can wokr with your individual body type, budget, and your own personal tastes.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I''d start working with a sales associate at a store you trust. I used to love when my favourite customers would come in and ask for ideas. I spent my entire day coming up with ideas, so it was fun coming up with ways to put things together to really suit the customer.

An image consultant would be great, but if you''re anything like me (and need things to be as close to free as humanly possible) it''s pretty easy to get good advice from somebody who works in the stores you shop at.

(Small word of warning, though: make sure you check out the person''s body type and style. You want somebody who dresses the way you want to who has your body type. Sometimes people can''t see beyond their own figures, so it''s easier to go with what they know.)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
beau - do you recommend this for folks with much smaller budgets as well?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 3:33:24 PM
Author: dragonfly411
beau - do you recommend this for folks with much smaller budgets as well?
I don't know what Image consultants charge over there. I pretty much did it for FREE!!
If you have a smaller budget for a wardrobe..definitely, my favourite (and most complimented outfits) cost me anywhere from $40-$100, head to toe, top, bottoms..acessories!! (sometimes even shoes if they are cheap enough..Winner's clearance!)

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome! I''m so happy to see so many people chime in, I need all the help I can get.

Honestly? Nothing in my closet is any different than anything else in my closet, so it''s hard to pick a wardrobe favorite. I am seriously just jeans (typically a dark wash), fitted t-shirts, and sweaters in a variety of colors. I love heels, but I''m so tall that I get self-conscious wearing them.

Fashion inspiration? This may sound silly, but I love Amanda Bynes'' style. She''s a bit younger, but she somehow manages to combine cute, comfy, sexy, and conservative all in one.

Updating the jeans is scary. Skinny jeans are SCARY! I don''t know if there''s a specific body type that''s best for them? I''m 5''10" and I usually wear a size 10 in jeans. I''m curvy, definitely not skinny. I have a booty!

I really need to work on my accessorizing. That would probably make my wardrobe seem more updated.

Amanda Bynes (so you can see what I mean)

bynes035203570.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Elle!

I have to say that the stores you choose to shop in make all the difference. I''m not saying I''m a fashion diva or anything, but people constantly ask me where I shop and compliment my outfits. The irony is that I purchase almost my entire wardrobe from Loehmann''s and Nordstrom Rack, which are both big discount stores, so I get amazing deals.

Some stores have style, and some have basics. Gap, for example, is all about the basics. I get my long-sleeved Ts and basic jeans from Gap. (Same for Ann Taylor, American Eagle, Abercrombie, etc. I''m trying to think of national chains here . . . ) I LOVE White House/Black Market, which has gorgeous dresses and the occasional beautiful top. But most of their pieces are great basics--slacks, tops, cardigans, etc.) Basically, you''re not going to find great fashion in your typical shopping mall.

You CAN find great current style at some of your larger department stores (e.g. Nordstrom), but the best places are smaller boutique shops. Check out a downtown area near you. If you''re in a big city, find an artsy area of the city and check it out. If you''re in the suburbs, find a suburb with a bona fide downtown area.

And when you see people with great style, ask them where they shop! I have to say that I''ve gotten more adventurous at work this past year since it''s now my third year in the same school, and I''m wearing my more fashionable items. I can''t believe how many women ask me where I shop, what I look for, how I know what looks good, etc. One colleague actually asked me to set up a shopping date with her, how fun is that?

It also helps that I devour every issue of W and Vogue, but I don''t think there''s any research necessary. Try on a ton of things and buy only items that fit your idea of fashionable.

Have fun!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Here are of my ideas. I have a lot of timeless pieces (expecially skirts and pants), and then use tops to keep up to date

For night, I sometimes mix my work clothes, with my "going out" clothes to give a bit of a more dressed up look. For example, a wool pencil skirt (From J crew) with a flashy blue v-neck top (From Theory). I remember my BF being a fan of that oufit
9.gif

If I feel like I am in a style rut and a fun event is happening, I go to Express for a fun top. The prices are not that bad and their stuff is pretty cute and stays in style for a couple years. Bebe is another great place for tops that are totally fun. Prices are not as good though. The trick at these places is to grab 20 tops and try them all on. They don't look the same on you as the hanger.

I love dresses because they are easy to put on and I always get complements. I usually try to get them on sale. I have a green wrap dress from Banana Republic that I got for a great price, it is good for work or a more consertive social event. diane von furstenberg has a ton of wrap dresses that are great for someone in their mid 20's, if they have the money. There are plenty of similar dresses out their for less money if you are willing to look around.

I also have 2 dresses from American Apparel. They are cotton and can be worn several different ways. I have worn them about 5-6 different ways. Strapless, halter, keyhole, skirt....if trends change, I just change how I wear the dress :)

As for the hair, if you have a good hair stylist, the best thing to do is ask for a new look that fits your face. She should be able to make suggestions.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Elle, there''s so much I could write on this topic! I''ll start with some ideas for updating the current staples in your wardrobe.

T-shirts: so many gorgeous people in the fashion business wear tees all the time. What I often see on fashion blogs and on more fashionable people on the street are sheer, more fitted tees--by this I do not mean the kind you see on middle school girls at the mall. Urban Outfitters has some wonderfully soft, thin ones that look fashion-conscious and sophisticated. I have a couple of their v-neck tees, and I love them. You can also update your tees by choosing different fabrics and styles. A silk shell with some ruffle details or a tank embellished with studs could add some fun detail to your outfits.

Jeans: the skinny jeans look is not necessarily for everyone. One of my good friends has shorter legs and wider hips, and she does not like how skinny jeans look on her. Her solution: wear them tucked into boots. It''s a great way to look sexy and put-together, and it doesn''t require that much effort. Sticking to dark washes (as you mentioned you do) is also flattering. I personally think that super-dark or black jeans look very of-the-moment. You can also decide to try some skinny jeans with slightly wider leg openings or some straight leg jeans (link to gorgeous straight legs from Paige Premium Denim). As far as the boots go, they can be anything. If you don''t like heels, go for some chic motorcycle boots, riding-style boots, or even Minnetonka moccasins, fringe and all.

Sweaters: I also adore sweaters, mostly because I''m cold all the time. These days, I like to wear little cardigans in bright or jewel tones. It looks chic if the cardigan is a little shrunken and sheer. When you really want to bundle up, think the opposite. Big, long sweaters and cardigans are very in. You can even wear your chunky, long, cable-knit sweater with aforementioned skinny jeans (or leggings!) and boots, and you will be warm, fashionable, and covered in all the right places.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 5:11:06 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Awesome! I'm so happy to see so many people chime in, I need all the help I can get.

Honestly? Nothing in my closet is any different than anything else in my closet, so it's hard to pick a wardrobe favorite. I am seriously just jeans (typically a dark wash), fitted t-shirts, and sweaters in a variety of colors. I love heels, but I'm so tall that I get self-conscious wearing them.

Fashion inspiration? This may sound silly, but I love Amanda Bynes' style. She's a bit younger, but she somehow manages to combine cute, comfy, sexy, and conservative all in one.

Updating the jeans is scary. Skinny jeans are SCARY! I don't know if there's a specific body type that's best for them? I'm 5'10' and I usually wear a size 10 in jeans. I'm curvy, definitely not skinny. I have a booty!

I really need to work on my accessorizing. That would probably make my wardrobe seem more updated.

Amanda Bynes (so you can see what I mean)

Great! Thanks for posting the image; sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Along those lines, can you post a few more of various looks like you like? Once it's out there and concrete, I'm pretty sure the helpful PS ladies will help guide you in the process of breaking it down so you can replicate it yourself.

(BTW, I'm also 5'10". I'm lean and wear a small size, but I have curves so I'm not your stereotypical skinny jean/emo-kid either. What is cracking me up is that Ms. Bynes is pretty much dressed in a version of my go-to everyday outfit, heh heh.)

Okay... so in the photo you posted of Ms. Bynes, I see very basic foundations, i.e. a pair of jeans that looks good on her, a black tank top, and a black fitted blazer/jacket with either 3/4 or full sleeves. Do you already have these items in your wardrobe? The jeans don't have to be skinny jeans, they just have to make you feel good when you wear them. If not, get some; all are timeless, going to get a lot of wear and can be paired with many different pieces.

The main feature in her look is in her accessories: they are BIG and they have a very label look to them. To wit:
-- GIANT hobo bag (hers is Gucci)
-- GIANT scarf (hers is Burberry)
-- GIANT glasses (not sure who makes those... anyone? Marc Jacobs maybe?)

If you are either on a budget or not a label-whore, the look is not one that is reliant on logos (surprisingly). If you don't already own one, an oversized hobo is a great daytime bag this year, and since they've been in vogue for more than 12 months you can find them from Saks all the way to TJMaxx. DO NOT get a black one; ask yourself what your favorite color is and get it in that color and at a price that is reasonable for your budget. Remember, it is the ACCESSORIES that are doing all of the talking in this look, ergo the reason why the bag should not be in an invisible neutral.

Scarf: if you are honestly digging that's its Burberry (and you can afford it, of course), get the B. If it's not that important to you, the draping and size is what's rockin' the scarf. I'd guess it's about 70 inches long and 18 inches wide. It does one loose loop around the neck with a twist. As an alternative, get a scarf (of the same measurements) in a color that is complimentary to your oversized hobo bag.

Big glasses: she's channeling her inner Jackie O. Do the same, and you're golden.

(If you're trying to build a wardrobe around this type of look, having additional fitted blazers in other neutral colors like brown, navy, or gray will help; the accessories are doing all the talking!)

Or, at least that's what I see. Fortunately, when it comes to this look: BIG bag, BIG scarf, BIG glasses-- a woman who is 5'10" is going to have the easiest time pulling this look off. I'd bet you just happened to choose a look that will work EXCELLENTLY for you! Are there any other celeb. photos whose look you admire?

f-d-l

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve skimmed through the posts so mine may seem redundant, but as a self-proclaimed fashion junkie I couldn''t NOT post something! Here''s my opinion:

1) If you''ve got good basics then you probably don''t need a fashion overhaul, E.g. proper fitting jeans, t-shirts, blouses, etc.

2) Simple accessories like scarves (just like the Amanda Bynes pic you posted but not necessarily a burberry scarf), handbags, fedoras or jewelry can update your wardrobe.

3) My fashion staples for the fall are: skinny jeans/leggings with BOOTS (I only really wear flat boots despite being 5''2"), wide-leg/trouser jeans, plain dresses with boots and a scarf, and grandpa (oversized) cardigans. My wardrobe is pretty much all solid colours and about 40% black, but I wear a scarf almost everyday to add in some colour. My most recent purchase was a Tolani scarf and I''ve attached a pic of Jessica Alba wearing a similar one.

My #1 choice for a one-stop shopping excursion would be H&M or Urban Outfitters :).

tolani.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m a bit curvier/hour glass shaped than some. I prefer to wear straight leg jeans as opposed to the super tight super skinny ones. Here is a picture of my favorite, by a brand called MissMe. These are a bit more expensive than say, gap jeans, but I think they are worth it.

missmejeans.jpg

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Elledizzy5- I feel just like you---and change my style all the time. My friend bought the InStyle book for dressing, it is great! It talks about staples, and how to wear clothes at different ages.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok.. I think I''ve gotten a start! You guys have been such a great help!

1. Fitted blazer(s)
2. More purses in more colors/sizes (I wear the same black Coach purse every single day, lol)
3. Scarves/Jewelry (with patterns/colors)
4. Great fitting jeans (I have like 2 pairs right now - I need a couple more!)

I can do this!

I have an Urban Outfitters and an American Apparel in our downtown area, which I''m about 1 mile away from, so I will definitely check those places out.

I''m definitely not a label whore, and probably won''t be buying a burberry scarf any time soon, much to my dismay.
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''ve received great advice on this thread! I think putting my two cents in would be redundant (my degree is in fashion), but I will tell you this: I was at WalMart on Sunday and found THE. CUTEST. sweater dress for $17! They have this brand called "George" that is career separates, and there were these cute little dresses which I thought were sweaters at first. They have a crocheted detail around the deep v-neckline, dolman sleeves, and an a-line shape. I bought one in a pretty camel color and wore it yesterday over brown tights and a super thin brown turtleneck with brown knee high boots, and a Leah Stein tortoiseshell cat pin for a cute accessory. I got lots of compliments on my outfit and no one knew the sweater dress was from WalMart!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Monarch, you can find things everywhere! I get lots of things from Wal- mart, Forever 21, Target, Sears etc, that aren''t huge brand names, don''t cost a ton and look just as chic. Then if I see something I HAVE TO HAVE that is more expensive, I can still get it :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results