shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a jeweler's insight please - Diamond crooked

Lilliesmommy

Rough_Rock
My fiance bought my ring at a chain jewelery store when they were having a ring show. The store sent the ring out to set the diamond because they don't do settings in house. When he gave me the ring which was a while after the initial purchase, I noticed the center diamond is sitting crooked in the setting.

Since it had been so long from the purchase time and i hadn't taken it back to them and I really didn't want them resetting it since they set it crooked the first time, I took it to a reputable local jeweler. I had them appraise the ring and reset the center stone telling them I was unhappy with the initial setting of the stone. They reset it once and I came back to check the work. I was still not happy with how the diamond was sitting in the setting and they took it back to try to get it straighter.

The second time I went back, they told me they did the best they could. They stated that when the initial seat was cut for the diamond, it was cut crooked and they were unable to fix the first jeweler's error.

Is it now impossible for my diamond to sit straight in this setting because of this? I may be just slightly OCD about this, but it does bother me every time I see the side profile which I otherwise love.

Info about my setting: I have a four prong double halo. I will try to upload some pictures to show what I am talking about. I hope this is the correct place to post this and if there is a better place could the moderators please move this post where it might get appropriate responses.

Please excuse the poor photo quality. These were taken with my phone and I am clearly no photographer.

double_1.jpg

double_2.jpg

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
eeek! i dont know if there are more option to try to fix the setting you have but i don't think you could get the original store to fix it since i sounds like its been a long time and its been worked on by someone else twice :S. i would say find out how much it would cost for a whole new setting and decide if its worth that much to you to not have to deal with the crookedness anymore.

for what its worth it would annoy me but it looks like a lovely setting and i'm sure no one else would notice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your only option is to have the prongs rebuilt, then the bench can cut a new seat that is level so your diamond can be set straight in the setting. Rebuilding prongs will cost you anywhere from $50 to $100 per prong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results