shape
carat
color
clarity

Narrowed Down to Five Choices any Advise Before Purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rookie User

Rough_Rock
Well, after looking around I have narrowed down my choice of diamond for an engagement ring down to four possible stones and one outlier. In what order would you rank them in quality, if anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated. I have ran all of them through the Cut Advisor and they all register below a 2.0. Thanks in advance for you help!

1. 0.50c $1805
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VVS2
Depth %: 61.3%
Table %: 55%
Pavilion %: 43.3%
Crown %: 15.1%
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.14x5.17x3.16 mm

2. 0.50c $1805
Depth %: 61.9%
Table %: 56%
Pavilion %: 43.4%
Crown %: 15.1%
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Measurements: 5.09x5.13x3.16 mm

3.0.50c $1805
Depth %: 61.4%
Table %: 55%
Pavilion %: 43.0%
Crown %: 15.3%
Measurements: 5.13x5.16x3.16 mm

4. Carat weight: 0.50c $1800
Depth %: 60.9%
Pavilion %: 14.9%
Crown %: 43.2%
Measurements: 5.15x5.18x3.14 mm

Carat weight: 0.52c $1610
Depth %: 60.4%
Pavilion %: 43.4%
Crown %: 14.9%
Fluorescence: Very strong blue
Measurements: 5.27x5.30x3.19 mm

This fourm has been a great help. Thanks again!

Chris

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Dear Chris....

There are pluses and minuses on all the stones you have listed. Each potentially appears to be pretty equal, but an accurate evaluation of choosing the best one, now is sort of in the situation of personal professional examination to really compare.

Pricewise, the strong fluoresence one, is $ 400 per carat ( approximately ) less in price. Whether the fluorensence has an affect that is negative can only be determined by seeing it.

All of the stones have the potential of being far better than "the average bear". But I suppose you have to weigh your option of splitting hairs more than what you have information wise, or buying based on price.

Rockdoc

Rookie User

Rough_Rock
RockDoc,

Thanks for your reply. I kinda thought the same thing myself but was looking for a good second opinion. I probablly should have asked this in my first post but didn''t. Are the $1800 stones a pretty fair market price? I''m currently serving in the forces in Italy and have limited options as far as being able to purchase a stone from stateside because I cannot receive Fedex or UPS which made BlueNile one of the only online retailers I could find which ships USPS. I have priced many diamonds here in Italy and they are quite a bit more expensive once you factor in the 1.30 exchange rate to the Euro as well as the 20% IVA. It''s also very difficut to discuss the specifics of the diamond with my trusted jewler with the language barrier (my Itialian is only so-so). If price is right I most likely will by the diamond online and have my jewler make the ring here. Ahh all for the happiness of the one we love. Once again thanks again for you advice.

Chris

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock
have you inquired whether other online stores would ship to you usps with insurance? I would think if you explained your situation that it might be possible.

Rookie User

Rough_Rock
Afrodyt2000,

I have looked into a few other retailers and have gotten mixed answers. I''m just trying to make the best possible purchase online without having to search high and low. Since I''ll be taking a bit of a gamble by not seeing it before buying I''m more willing to just keep my search narrow and hope for the best. If $1800 is a fair price with this retailer I think I would rather take the plunge then spend 10 hours of my life onlie to save 50 or 60 dollars.

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock
I do understand what you mean. I just found out that dirtcheapdiamonds.com also uses USPS sometimes so maybe you could check out some of their stones too.

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=6010482

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=7403424

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=4024583

I don't know much about rounds but thses are in the ideal, signature and premium cut categories at DCD and all cost less than 1800.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I like #5 the best. It''s cheaper, bigger & I love med/strong blue fluor - probably the reason it is trading for less. Ask the retailer to eyeball and make sure the strong blue doesn''t have a negative impact on the stone.

Good luck.

Rookie User

Rough_Rock
To All,

I just wanted to let you know what I finally decided upon. It was a bit larger, and the VS1 didn''t bother me. Thanks for the advice afrodyt2000. For anyone who is in the same situation DCD does in fact ship via Registed USPS. Thanks again for all your help, I''ll be sure to post a photo of the final prodcut when it is finshed.

Chris

$1790
Signature Round
Laboratory: AGS
Carat Weight: .533
Clarity: VS1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Measurements: 5.27x5.30x3.20
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 55%
Girdle: 0.7-1.2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crown Angle : 34.0°
Crown %: 15.0
Pavillion Angle : 40.7°
Pavillion %: 42.7
Lab Comments: None

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations on your purchase!!
36.gif

can''t wait to see it!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results