shape
carat
color
clarity

Namibian Demantoid

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
There is always a lot of talk around here about Russian demantoid but I rarely hear anyone talk about the Namibian stones.

What is your opinion?

I personally find the Namibian material to be quite beautiful, particularly the blueish green material. It all has the classic high dispersion and there is a range of colors from the fine blue-greens to rich brownish yellows.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting question. I think both are very pretty. However, if I had to pick I'd rather have a Russian demantoid. I've actually been thinking about putting together a demantoid memorial ring in honor of my grandpa who was Russian.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 12:47:56 PM
Author:Revolution
There is always a lot of talk around here about Russian demantoid but I rarely hear anyone talk about the Namibian stones.

What is your opinion?

I personally find the Namibian material to be quite beautiful, particularly the blueish green material. It all has the classic high dispersion and there is a range of colors from the fine blue-greens to rich brownish yellows.
I like Namibians as long as they don''t color shift to brown or olive, and they stay bluish green. I think they''re very underrated since they''re always compared to Russian material. The fact of the matter is that the old mine Russian material is the nicest, and the newer stuff isn''t that spectacular, but origin is used as a ploy to sell it for more. The Namibian can definitely hold it''s own next to the new mine Russian material, and it''s typically less included too. I''m sorry, but I''m not crazy about horsetail inclusions.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
My only experience with demantoids is with the small 3.5mm stones that I received yesterday and they''re from Pakistan. I''m not so much interested in origin as I am color. I''ll pay a premium for color over origin any day of the week. To each their own though. I can''t compare stones from different origins unfortunately as I haven''t ever seen Namibian or Russian demantoids in person though the Pakistan material I received is quite nice, neon limey green without a doubt.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen both Russian and Namibian and I own both. There can be fine qualities in both locations, as well as pitiful quality. I don't think people should discount a nice demantoid because it's not Russian. Always check for color shifts though no matter what location you're buying from. Don't fall for the special "color change" hype that some sellers use to try and sell inferior material. If it goes to yellow, brown or olive green, it's not top color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no real preference for either although the bysollite inclusion is pretty neat as long as it’s not eye visible. I prefer to purchase a demantoid purely on the basis of its colour, rather than origin. Some like the yellowish green material which tends to show more dispersion while others prefer the pure green material.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m another that owns both. I actually prefer the Namibian material as it tends to be slightly lighter in colour (even tending to have more yellow) than the Russians I''ve seen. Interestingly horse tail inclusions are found in some Namibian stones as well. I tend to find the Namibians quite distinctive from the Russian ones and the dispersion is just as good (if not better in some instances). The Russian material can be a little bit too bottle green, darker and flatter in terms of dispersion.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 1:30:39 PM
Author: brandy_z28
My only experience with demantoids is with the small 3.5mm stones that I received yesterday and they''re from Pakistan. I''m not so much interested in origin as I am color. I''ll pay a premium for color over origin any day of the week. To each their own though. I can''t compare stones from different origins unfortunately as I haven''t ever seen Namibian or Russian demantoids in person though the Pakistan material I received is quite nice, neon limey green without a doubt.
That''s a great description. You should put this info (origin and neon limey green) in your Dematoid/Spinel thread. That way we''ll know what to ask for when talking with cutters.
11.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 12:57:22 PM
Author: Burberrygirl
Interesting question. I think both are very pretty. However, if I had to pick I''d rather have a Russian demantoid. I''ve actually been thinking about putting together a demantoid memorial ring in honor of my grandpa who was Russian.

Please do! Then we shall start a demantoid thread (I shall throw in mine, too) and name it "the Russians are coming!"

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
im listening to info about demantoid-iv been buying the stuff for several years-my experience with both russian & the other namibian is the russian material is a little more sought after & usually gives a higher appr. than the namibian material-this is one of the few stones where the bysallite or a type of asbestose type of fibers are a plus inclusion that id the russian material-similar inclusions can b found in the non-russian stuff but is usually missrepresented as horsetail but under close exam is not-nature being what it is-nothing is in stone as one might think-i prefer the russian with the inclusions because not all stones have the inclusion in them & some look like flowing seagrass-really sweet to see under a scope-in most cases the color is as good as any & the light reflect is ausome-i think as others do that the color change demans are material that has a little of something that allows a color shift that a good demantoid does not have-my 2cnts....

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
this is russian demantoid-all have the inclusion-pretty good color-high luster-a good example of the material-thanks for ur time....

u0.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results