shape
carat
color
clarity

Name something good that has happened as a result of the pandemic.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know that quote about the silver lining. Is there anything good that has happened in your life as a result of this pandemic?

26D1B81C-7D1C-4544-A6CC-DAC394769BAA.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I value my true friendships and know how lucky I am with all the love I have in life. The pandemic has made it all come into even sharper focus for me.

One big silver lining for me is my DH being able to work from home. That doesn’t suck. And I know we’re lucky he can for now.

Whenever challenges come our way I realize there’s nobody else I’d rather face them with and having a strong partner by my side makes it manageable.

I miss seeing my family and friends but I know one day this will be over and so I take it one day at a time. Maybe another silver lining is learning patience. It’s a hard earned lesson that I never quite mastered. But I’m improving. Thanks to Covid.

What silver linings have you experienced during this pandemic?

ETA I know I started a similar thread in March but just wanted to see if anyone’s perspective has changed since March.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spending time with my son and home schooling him during our lockdown. I really enjoy teaching him and have had a blast researching resources and looking for new material to engage him with.

Hubby and I have always been quite the team but when we sit there at night and discuss teaching strategies, dividing up who will handle what, it's opened this whole new side to our relationship that we never knew existed. Apparently we can also teach together!

DS7 has become best buddies with our dog. Our dog was our baby before DS came along. She remained our baby but they never really bonded as they both wanted us more than each other. During lockdown they bounded around together every day. DS would wake up early, send B out to the toilet, take her in and fix them both a snack before they settled in his playroom where he'd read and she'd go back to bed. She really misses him now that he's back at school. She cries and snuggles at him when he comes home.

After first lockdown I got a taste of life without seeing my sister. It was a very terrible lesson! I got my act together quick smart and set up her room. So now she's all set up to move in should they lock us down again!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl you have a wonderful family and I’m glad the pandemic has only brought you even closer. ❤️

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people care more about others especially those in their neighbourhood.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't need an excuse to avoid socializing!
Less traffic when I go out and also less crowded stores.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. Good question (as always missy).

Spending less because I was furloughed and facing a layoff, although had some huge bills lately.

Got caught up on sleep, as a shiftworker for years, altho already tired again now that I'm back to shifts. Yawn (on a break a work).

Being furloughed gave me the time to support my family thru some difficult adjustments, accidents and injuries.

Time for reflection. Why am I here? How do I want the rest of my life to play out?
Why/how did this happen? What can I do about it?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fell in love with my home again. After 23 years here, having done all of the renos, we are again doing some projects for the second or third time. I’m nesting again I think...
I am blessed to have a wonderful, loving immediate family. I appreciate them all the more now too.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nature had time for a short recovery and we got to see what it could be like if we took greater care of earth.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
It's really focussed me on how fortunate my life is and how lucky I am in my family and close friends. It's also been really nice to have my DH working from home and two of the kiddos doing distance learning - college-aged, so hardly kiddos actually, old enough that I don't have to be involved :lol:

Very grateful that even though there have been cases of it (2 in our house) the virus has so far spared our friends and families. My heart is breaking for those who have lost loved ones or been seriously debilitated by this.

At first I really missed being constantly busy, but now I'm liking the slowed down feeling. I'm taking less work on and plan to stick to that and am thinking I might make a conscious effort to weed out a few friendships that have maybe run their course.

It's allowed me to consolidate some of the volunteer stuff I do in a way that helps us provide more meaningful/integrated assistance. It's also made me think about loneliness- the people who live alone and have no one close by, and has made me resolved to try to get involved in helping somehow.

I've learned about 5 million ways to cook chicken.

The dogs are thrilled someone is always home.

I can now do the hardest NYT crossword (Saturday) in no time. Amazing what a little practice does there...

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Since I’m working from home now, I’m multi-tasking and becoming a domestic goddess while doing my regular office work. I cook more, AND my house is immaculate because I clean more. Plus my bed gets made everyday because I can’t stand to see it unmade now.

I get to spend more time with my family, which is so precious because I have one kid starting college this year and another in 2 years. We walk, workout and play jeopardy almost everyday.

I usually commute 70miles round trip to work, and not only is it time consuming, it wears on my car. My MB reached it’s 1 year birthday yesterday, and the number on the odometer is much lower than pervious cars at the 1 year mark, and so much less wear a tear. Our air quality is also so much better with most people working from home. Since I’m an avid hiker, I can see a dramatic difference in the smog layer....it’s gone!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rediscovered my collection of vinyl records. What a trip down memory lane!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rediscovered my collection of vinyl records. What a trip down memory lane!

I love vinyl. Nothing (IMO) beats the experience of putting a vinyl record on the record player and listening to it play. My DH (who is an audiophile) prefers digital for a superior listening experience but I would take Vinyl every single time. Hands down.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I’m working from home now, I’m multi-tasking and becoming a domestic goddess while doing my regular office work. I cook more, AND my house is immaculate because I clean more. Plus my bed gets made everyday because I can’t stand to see it unmade now.

I get to spend more time with my family, which is so precious because I have one kid starting college this year and another in 2 years. We walk, workout and play jeopardy almost everyday.

I usually commute 70miles round trip to work, and not only is it time consuming, it wears on my car. My MB reached it’s 1 year birthday yesterday, and the number on the odometer is much lower than pervious cars at the 1 year mark, and so much less wear a tear. Our air quality is also so much better with most people working from home. Since I’m an avid hiker, I can see a dramatic difference in the smog layer....it’s gone!

So much better telecommuting. All the time and energy you save cannot be beat. That is a huge plus to the pandemic. That and the improved air quality while it lasted because here there are so many cars on the road again. But for a while there when no one was driving the air was amazingly clear.

I am glad you are getting to spend so much quality time with your kids. That is irreplaceable.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people care more about others especially those in their neighbourhood.

DK :))

It's true and we have seen a lot of the good side of people and it warms my heart. It almost restores my faith in people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nature had time for a short recovery and we got to see what it could be like if we took greater care of earth.

Yup. It was pretty amazing there for a while. The air was super clear when all the cars were off the road for months. Now unfortunately the air pollution is back because all the cars are on the road again. But it does go to show we can reverse the damage if we took greater care.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... fewer carbon footprints? :roll2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really focussed me on how fortunate my life is and how lucky I am in my family and close friends. It's also been really nice to have my DH working from home and two of the kiddos doing distance learning - college-aged, so hardly kiddos actually, old enough that I don't have to be involved :lol:

Very grateful that even though there have been cases of it (2 in our house) the virus has so far spared our friends and families. My heart is breaking for those who have lost loved ones or been seriously debilitated by this.

At first I really missed being constantly busy, but now I'm liking the slowed down feeling. I'm taking less work on and plan to stick to that and am thinking I might make a conscious effort to weed out a few friendships that have maybe run their course.

It's allowed me to consolidate some of the volunteer stuff I do in a way that helps us provide more meaningful/integrated assistance. It's also made me think about loneliness- the people who live alone and have no one close by, and has made me resolved to try to get involved in helping somehow.

I've learned about 5 million ways to cook chicken.

The dogs are thrilled someone is always home.

I can now do the hardest NYT crossword (Saturday) in no time. Amazing what a little practice does there...

Impressive. There is a lot of good to come from this forced time at home. Good for you for taking less work on and enjoying your loved ones.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spending more time at home, enjoying the lovely place where we live. And, I have time on my hands so I got a puppy and she's delightful.

Yassss. Your new puppy is precious. :love: Glad you are enjoying the time at home!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. Good question (as always missy).

Spending less because I was furloughed and facing a layoff, although had some huge bills lately.

Got caught up on sleep, as a shiftworker for years, altho already tired again now that I'm back to shifts. Yawn (on a break a work).

Being furloughed gave me the time to support my family thru some difficult adjustments, accidents and injuries.

Time for reflection. Why am I here? How do I want the rest of my life to play out?
Why/how did this happen? What can I do about it?

I am glad you are getting caught up on sleep and I am glad you are taking time and taking care of yourself. I am sorry you were furloughed but I know you will make the best of it and I hope it all works out like you want it to. (((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't need an excuse to avoid socializing!
Less traffic when I go out and also less crowded stores.

I don't need an excuse either lol. Unfortunately here it is as crowded as ever. It's worse than before the pandemic. Of course all that will change when our area gets hit with the second wave. Which is sure to come seeing how people here are not wearing masks or social distancing and the beaches are mad crowded.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... fewer carbon footprints? :roll2:

That was true in the beginning. By us that effect is diminishing but it was proof that we can reverse the damage at least to some degree.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have saved a lot of money. It makes us realize we can live without a lot of things we thought we needed. I’m laid off till we get the vaccine. I’m not sure I want to go back. I’m enjoying being home. I’m cooking again.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The scents of nature are strongly and beautifully fragrant again. The world has slowed down to a pace more in keeping with my own. Remote learning worked well for my kids and presented some positive opportunities. We added a kitten to our family - though that would have likely happened anyway. I finally painted the kids bedrooms in colors they had been wanting for a couple of years now. I also painted our DR and LR with new colors, and am enjoying the change. DH & I purged the basement, which feels amazing. As a family, we took on and completed a cobblestone/driveway project that we otherwise wouldn't have. It was a lot of work which felt really good. I started making bread.

This was a good idea for a thread @missy ! With all that is going on in our country and the world, it is a struggle to process the sadness, frustration, fears, disappointment, etc. It felt good to take a moment to think about the good things that are still happening, despite it all.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I'm saving money too. Life has gotten much more simple. I soo enjoy working from home. I've realized I'm more introverted than I thought. This has been good for my hubby and I in our first year of marriage. I adore being at home. I've started walking most days, I'm cooking more, sleeping more, and we've been cleaning and reorganizing the house - still not done but getting there. I'm enjoying my bling more because I have time to put it on, wear, enjoy and clean it. I hope everyone is finding their silver lining.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
It is like counting my blessings:)

1) Husband works from home, doggie stays with him upstairs most of the time so I have all the space downstairs for the toddler and me.
2) I am cooking mostly for one family now since DIL also works from home and has time and opportunity to cook for her folks. But if I have extra food, I am sharing it with them.
3) Husband is the main grocery shopper now and I was able to save money and spend it on CS and custom made jewelry. I am saving on average $400/week now by not going to Whole Foods on a regular basis.
4) Before the lock down I used to have 1-2 days off per month, mostly one. We had 2 babies at once 2 times per week. Kept them mostly separately, the older one with her Didi and doggie upstairs and the younger one with me downstairs. Those days were extremely stressful.
5) My son teaches piano and daughter teaches violin. They used to get sick 4-6 times per year, all seasons. Now both teach kids distantly and are absolutely healthy.
6) Since school children are now at home, my son and daughter are able to start teaching early and finish early. Also, not all parents wanted to pay for on-line lessons so my children are free on weekends and spend time with families and each other, we have Sunday-Funday on a weekly basis on our territory, little girls are playing together.
7) My son had an especially crazy schedule working 7 days a week, coming home at 9:30-10pm when his wife and daughter were asleep. He had late dinner alone, then spent a good time playing games till 2am and slept till 11-12 in the morning. His daughter grew up almost fatherless before the lockdown. Honestly, when the son and his wife announced they were going to have a baby, we were amazed that they actually found a time to have...to do moving furniture:lol::lol::lol:.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results