shape
carat
color
clarity

Name Changing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
The time has come for me to change my name...boo... I know that my first stop is SS. What do I need for that? Application, DL and Marriage cert?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i had to send away for what my state calls an "abstract" of marriage. its instead of a license- the license is more for show.

i took that, my old SS card, and my birth certificate. i think it may have been overkill, but it got the job done :)

good luck!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea, I''m still working on this:) I know the process varies a lot state to state (e.g. here in NYC i can go to the DMV first and then SS...) Let me know how it goes b/c I''m right there with you...

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
In WA I need ID and a marriage cert.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I took my drivers license, SS Card and marriage cert. Filled out the form and they put the papers in - got the new SS card about 2 weeks later in the mail. Then with the application for SS filled out, moved on over to the DMV and so on and so on....

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the info from the Social Security Administration. Bring in these documents, take a number, fill out the form while you wait, and then go to the window when called. It''s pretty standard. The funny thing is the random people you''ll see as you wait WOWZA!
6.gif

The only thing you need to be aware of is that you''ll need an ORIGINAL birth certificate OR a passport. I know a lot of people don''t keep that original around and don''t have a passport, so that might come as a nasty surprise.

Basically--
Driver''s license + Original birth certificate + Marriage license

From www.ssa.gov

To prove
Your legal name change
You must show One of the following documents:
Amended or corrected birth certificate;
Marriage document;
Divorce decree;
Certificate of naturalization showing a new name; or Court order for a name change.
We may ask to see other documents showing your old and new names.

Your identity
A document showing your name, identifying information and photograph, such as one of the following
U.S. driver’s license;
State-issued nondriver’s identification card; or
U.S. passport.

We may be able to accept your Employer ID card;
School ID card;
Health insurance card;or
U.S. military ID card;

Your U.S. citizenship
One of the following documents:
U.S. birth certificate;
U.S. consular report of birth;
U.S. passport;
Certificate of naturalization; or
Certificate of citizenship

You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that
issued them. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do I have to go in person? When I got a replacement card I could do it through the mail. I had to send my DL in, but I got it back pretty quickly.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
I think so, but I''m not 100% sure.

I wanted to do a lot of this by mail in the beginning as well--until the lady at the bank explained how even copies of these documents floating around could lead to identity theft. Really, if you can avoid giving out copies of these docs with your birthdate and SS# (or blacking them out), it''s all the better.

grace10209

Rough_Rock
Ok for
1) for SS card - bring Drivers license & Marriage Certificate - fill out paperwork and give to them.
then you wait for new SS to come in
2) once you get new SS card - go to registry with license, marriage cert & new ss Card, fill out paperwork and give to them
then you wait for new license to come in
3) passport - Go here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html
hopefully you will have a drop off location near you, my postoffice was mine and made it wicked easy.
i went with form, old passport, and marriage cert, they took my pic, and mailed everything out for me. $97 dollars later ;-)

grace10209

Rough_Rock
You have to do the SS card first.
Then the license
Then the passport

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Here you go:
http://newlastname.org/

Just go to the page for your state and it will walk you through everything with all of the forms. It''s great! For SS I just needed a form. I was supposed to have multiple forms of ID as well, but they only asked to look at my marriage license.

It even has checklists to go through changing your name with banks, car insurance, etc.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I would apply in person for your new SS card. I needed my marraige license, birth certificate, and photo ID (I think). I liked doing it in person so I didn''t have to actually forfeit any of my important (and tough to replace) documents. I think all of my friends did it in the mail though. I''m lucky enough to have about 1000 SSA offices in my area.

Then I did my DL (that still doesn''t even have my legal name on it since the state I have a DL in doesn''t put hyphens on there!). I still have to change my passport and bank stuff.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Though a pain, it''s still exciting... so yay for you!
36.gif
36.gif

Have you figured out what you''ll need? CO is DL & marriage license/cert.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I''m still working on this, does anyone know if it''s the state birth certificate you need? I think it is...I lost mine from awhile back so I need to request a new one, bleh

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I finally got around to doing this. In Texas, I went to the Social Security Administration office and took the following:

-Filled out form (I filled it out online and printed it prior to heading to the office)
-Original Birth Certificate
-US Passport
-Marriage License with Apostille (Foreign Wedding)

The worst was really the waiting. There were some people there that had serious issues and I have never been so glad to have it be all over. The girl that waited on me had a nearly identical wedding ring set and we chatted for a few minutes about that. It was great because she liked me and she let ME translate my wedding certificate for her instead of making me go to the DR Consulate (which a friend of mine had to do).

For the US Passport:

I submitted it via overnight delivery, paid the expedite fee and return overnight delivery. I only submitted the documentation that the form requested:

-Completed application
-Most recent US Passport Book
-2 Recent Color Photographs
-Complete and unaltered certified copy of marriage certificate

I did not submit my birth certificate or copies of SS Card or DL, they weren''t required. In fact, I still haven''t changed my DL and probably won''t for another year or so because I want to make sure that I have a valid and unexpired photo ID with my maiden name on it, in case it''s necessary for anything that I might forget to change over. But once I had a new social and a valid, government issued ID (Passport) it was easy to make all the other changes:

-Employer (Changed name with all benefit providers, beneficiary information, payroll, etc.)
-Banks (Changed name on all bank accounts, credit cards, car note, mortgage, etc.)
-Utilities (Electric, Water, Phone, etc)

Still haven''t changed:

-DL (for reasons stated above)
-Car Insurance, I changed the name on my car note, so that the title comes in my married name when I finish paying it in 4 months!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 2:17:47 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
I''m still working on this, does anyone know if it''s the state birth certificate you need? I think it is...I lost mine from awhile back so I need to request a new one, bleh
Smurfy, check out the website I listed above. It''ll tell you all of the documents you need for your state.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 1:57:21 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
Though a pain, it''s still exciting... so yay for you!
36.gif
36.gif

Have you figured out what you''ll need? CO is DL & marriage license/cert.

Pilsn, you need your birth certificate too or passport to prove you''re a citizen! Turns out social security cards are not good enough in our state because we have so many illegals creating fake social security cards, how frustrating is that!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 3:11:46 PM
Author: elrohwen

Smurfy, check out the website I listed above. It''ll tell you all of the documents you need for your state.

Thanks for the site! I must have missed that when I was skimming the thread!
17.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 5:21:18 PM

Date: 1/5/2010 3:11:46 PM
Author: elrohwen

Thanks for the site! I must have missed that when I was skimming the thread!
17.gif
You''re welcome! I was so happy to have found it because it tells you absolutely everything. It even lets you print out the forms and fill them out at home!

(I find it funny that my SS office required no ID other than the marriage certificate. I guess she figured if it was on the marriage license, it didn''t really matter if I was the actual person or not.)

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
For SS I took my marriage license/certificate, DL and passport. You don''t need your old SS card. Do this first.

For DL, it''d be best if you take your new SS, your passport/license, and your marriage certificate. Continue reading for why I say it''s best to take your new SS & passport.

I then had the good fortune of LOSING all my IDs (including new SS card) the DAY I changed them over. So I had to go back AGAIN!. SS wasn''t a problem, it was like filling out for a lost card. Just needed my passport, and marriage cert (since I didn''t have a DL anymore).

DMV gave me a MUCH harder time with passport (in maiden name) and marriage certificate (with new and old name on it). So it''s definitely easier with the new SS card.

THEN take your new DL to the banks and get your name switched over on your bank etc. They need a DL to change (at least mine did, Chase Bank).

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 11:49:32 PM
Author: lliang_chi
For SS I took my marriage license/certificate, DL and passport. You don''t need your old SS card. Do this first.

For DL, it''d be best if you take your new SS, your passport/license, and your marriage certificate. Continue reading for why I say it''s best to take your new SS & passport.

I then had the good fortune of LOSING all my IDs (including new SS card) the DAY I changed them over. So I had to go back AGAIN!. SS wasn''t a problem, it was like filling out for a lost card. Just needed my passport, and marriage cert (since I didn''t have a DL anymore).

DMV gave me a MUCH harder time with passport (in maiden name) and marriage certificate (with new and old name on it). So it''s definitely easier with the new SS card.

THEN take your new DL to the banks and get your name switched over on your bank etc. They need a DL to change (at least mine did, Chase Bank).
That''s funny because one of my accounts was at Chase, too, but they require a valid government issued ID and my passport was enough. That would have been a nightmare because I really don''t want to change my DL yet! I guess each branch is different.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results