shape
carat
color
clarity

Naive...but can someone translate Tan''s language?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it is not how he speaks, of course. It is just "ranging" of his descrpiptions.

What is higher on the priority list: "dynamic" or "mindblowing", "stunning" or "absolutely gorgeous?"

I understand "museum-sized" but what about "fantastic"?

I bought a chryso from his website today. Wanted to buy a bigger one (I could see it was "absolutely gorgeous") but it was almost 1K and I am a firm acolyte of TL who told us she does not buy anything over 400 US dollars on ebay if return may be problematic. I mean, I might, but later... So I had to choose between "dynamic", "mindblowing" or "absolutely gorgeous". I do not remember what I chose, but I think it is a nice stone.

I shall post pics of it, of course, when I get it. I asked him to certify it - just because appraisal here costs more.

Luckily, he doesn''t use terms like "mouth-watering" or "eye-popper". Other vendors use it and I can never choose between the two...I guess salivation is safer than your eyes popping out...(LOL).

The whole thread is a joke, but honestly, it is not always possible to ask many questions if the sale is going to be closed in 11 hours.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hah, I love marketing superlatives too.

MINDBLOWING but not until you have correctly input your paypal specifics and pressed " BUY!"

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha it always gives me a chuckle and makes me think of the old Batman show "KAPOW" "SHAZAM!"

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 2:19:02 PM
Author:crasru
No, it is not how he speaks, of course. It is just ''ranging'' of his descrpiptions.

What is higher on the priority list: ''dynamic'' or ''mindblowing'', ''stunning'' or ''absolutely gorgeous?''

I understand ''museum-sized'' but what about ''fantastic''?

I bought a chryso from his website today. Wanted to buy a bigger one (I could see it was ''absolutely gorgeous'') but it was almost 1K and I am a firm acolyte of TL who told us she does not buy anything over 400 US dollars on ebay if return may be problematic. I mean, I might, but later... So I had to choose between ''dynamic'', ''mindblowing'' or ''absolutely gorgeous''. I do not remember what I chose, but I think it is a nice stone.

I shall post pics of it, of course, when I get it. I asked him to certify it - just because appraisal here costs more.

Luckily, he doesn''t use terms like ''mouth-watering'' or ''eye-popper''. Other vendors use it and I can never choose between the two...I guess salivation is safer than your eyes popping out...(LOL).

The whole thread is a joke, but honestly, it is not always possible to ask many questions if the sale is going to be closed in 11 hours.

These terms are translations from Thai, so if you''re not acquainted with the Thai language here''s a quick reference:

"stunning" -- ordinary

"dynamic" -- windowed

"absolutely gorgeous" -- nice color, poorly cut

"mindblowing" -- "hard to sell"

28.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great knowledge you have, MCarats! I never knew you were a fluent Thai speaker!

How about "museum-size, Guinness book-stone?" Now this should be hard!
emteeth.gif

(Some of these emoticons also need translating, but I think this one is accurate).

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just won a cheap stone from him, which was "stunning." So I guess it''s pretty low on the scale. Good thing it wasn''t "dynamic" though!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently, mine was "unbelievably gorgeous". So I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good color...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2010 2:19:02 PM
Author:crasru
No, it is not how he speaks, of course. It is just ''ranging'' of his descrpiptions.

What is higher on the priority list: ''dynamic'' or ''mindblowing'', ''stunning'' or ''absolutely gorgeous?''

I understand ''museum-sized'' but what about ''fantastic''?

I bought a chryso from his website today. Wanted to buy a bigger one (I could see it was ''absolutely gorgeous'') but it was almost 1K and I am a firm acolyte of TL who told us she does not buy anything over 400 US dollars on ebay if return may be problematic. I mean, I might, but later... So I had to choose between ''dynamic'', ''mindblowing'' or ''absolutely gorgeous''. I do not remember what I chose, but I think it is a nice stone.

Luckily, he doesn''t use terms like ''mouth-watering'' or ''eye-popper''. Other vendors use it and I can never choose between the two...I guess salivation is safer than your eyes popping out...(LOL).

My advise is to ignore all metaphors on Tan''s site, and all of ebay, and instead ask the appropriate questions about hue, saturation and tone. Metaphors are just used to make the listing sound great, and honestly, I don''t pay any attention to them whatsoever. I look at the photo, video, the color, gem species (some I stay clear of) and I ask the appropriate questions.

Looking forward to photos of your chrysoberyl. I hope it turns out nice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I think Crasru’s post is only a joke about all the adjectives used by most eBay vendors to catch the buyer’s attention and make everything so wonderful.
25.gif
In seriousness though, I do agree with your advice to ignore all those adjectives (even from trusted and non e-Bay vendors) and just view the pictures or videos and read the plainer text, then email/call the vendor with more questions if interested. Ask about the main Cs like colour (hue, saturation and tone), clarity, cut, and treatment.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, I am becoming like an android. I can''t tell jokes lately from serious conversation. Help!!
32.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2010 9:52:25 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
OMG, I am becoming like an android. I can''t tell jokes lately from serious conversation. Help!!
32.gif
I have thought of buying an android cell phone. Forgive me if it''s part of your family
17.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2010 2:45:45 PM
Author: risingsun
Date: 6/24/2010 9:52:25 AM

Author: tourmaline_lover

32.gif
I have thought of buying an android cell phone. Forgive me if it''s part of your family
17.gif

Is that supposed to be a joke???
25.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
well you have a cetain amount of letters you can put in the title..you don''t want to just put say... "blue spinel 1.19ct" you want to fill the whole space up to attract more attention..you are paying for it so why not use it all

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
tan is the man

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2010 11:41:14 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
Who is Tan?
Gemburionline, VVS1 and Odysseygems on ebay.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
It could be worse, imagine trying to read a recession-ised description on ebay:

"This gemstone is struggling in the current economic climate and redundancy is imminent. Buy now before it is laid off, or not, I don''t mind, we are all too depressed to care one way or the other" BIN $1000 or Bid more than $101 6 bidders

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I must be channeling TL, because I don''t know if Steel is pulling our leg or not! Is that a real listing??

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 6:24:33 PM
Author: Uppy
Okay, I must be channeling TL, because I don''t know if Steel is pulling our leg or not! Is that a real listing??
No because otherwise there would be a link! Works great, though.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'd crack up if I saw some bluntly honest stone listings on ANY vendor's ebay - not to mention I'd shop there lol!

"Asymmetrical, nearly extinct blue spinel"
"Shallow-cut, highly opaque dyed ruby"
"Mediocre tsavorite, looks great from a distance"
"Muddy yellow sapphire, looks just like poor quality citrine"
"Wonky cut, pretty stone - will require expensive custom setting"
"Highly included tourmaline - Stone looks amazing if you blur your eyes"

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 6:55:42 PM
Author: crasru

Date: 6/25/2010 6:24:33 PM
Author: Uppy
No because otherwise there would be a link! Works great, though.

I''m pulling your leg Uppy; but in a nice way.
2.gif

Thanks for ''getting'' me crasru
9.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2010 6:19:17 PM
Author: Steal

It could be worse, imagine trying to read a recession-ised description on ebay:

'This gemstone is struggling in the current economic climate and redundancy is imminent. Buy now before it is laid off, or not, I don't mind, we are all too depressed to care one way or the other' BIN $1000 or Bid more than $101 6 bidders
::snort::

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To tell the truth, I once saw a listing for "processed spessartine". I emailed the vendor from Thai. His English was barely understandable but he honestly answered that it was a new process of "cooking" spessartines - basically, it was a synthetic stone. It cost about $ 5.00 but I was amazed at this guy's honesty! Too bad I did not save his name! The stuff he sold was nothing to write home about, but honesty being so scarce on the ebay, these people deserve medals!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results