shape
carat
color
clarity

Nail Care

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can anyone advise me on how to take proper care of my nails please.....

I had nail extensions for a few weeks about 7 months ago. After they were removed my nails were bendy and breaking really easily. I can tell that my nails have now grown out since then, as there had been residue of the glue on there and thats grown off.

My cuticles are in a really bad way and my actual nails keep peeling. I have no idea how to take care of them.

Any hints would be appreciated
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing that makes THE BIGGEST difference in my nails is regular professional manicures. I can do a *relatively* good job of painting them myself in a pinch (especially if I''m using a super sheer light pink so the mistakes aren''t as noticeable) but it''s the cuticles that I need help with. It''s an extravagance I know, but having my nails done makes me feel better!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2007 11:02:49 AM
Author:Maisie

I had nail extensions for a few weeks about 7 months ago. After they were removed my nails were bendy and breaking really easily. I can tell that my nails have now grown out since then, as there had been residue of the glue on there and thats grown off.

My cuticles are in a really bad way and my actual nails keep peeling. I have no idea how to take care of them.

1.gif
You need ECF as she has rapidly become my nail guru!!! But until she checks in I will give you my 5 eggs worth of what works for me.

I think you need to let the old nails grow out Maze before you will see much of an improvement with the peeling and strength.

Do your cuticles once a week at least, use a remover, leave on for the recommended time, then gently push the cuticles back with a stick. Avoid trimming them unless they are really ragged.

Keep nails short and file into a square/ squ-oval shape. Use the soft side of the emery board.

Finally, use a cuticle oil at night and a good handcream and keep nails polished even if a clear polish. A strengthener may be good too. This will help stop the peeling until they grow out.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 11:09:08 AM
Author: Lorelei

1.gif
You need ECF as she has rapidly become my nail guru!!! But until she checks in I will give you my 5 eggs worth of what works for me.

I think you need to let the old nails grow out Maze before you will see much of an improvement with the peeling and strength.

Do your cuticles once a week at least, use a remover, leave on for the recommended time, then gently push the cuticles back with a stick. Avoid trimming them unless they are really ragged.

Keep nails short and file into a square/ squ-oval shape. Use the soft side of the emery board.

Finally, use a cuticle oil at night and a good handcream and keep nails polished even if a clear polish. A strengthener may be good too. This will help stop the peeling until they grow out.
The old nails did already grow off...... Thats why I''m worried. I never had so much trouble before I had those darned extensions put on!!

I don''t think I have the stomach for pushing the cuticles back. I am really squeamish about anything to do with my nails. I remember I once had a manicure and the beautician tried to trim something off the side of my finger and I nearly fainted.

Does it hurt pushing them back... why do I have to push them back.... I REALLY DON''T WANT TO PUSH THEM BACK!!
23.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 11:07:39 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
The thing that makes THE BIGGEST difference in my nails is regular professional manicures. I can do a *relatively* good job of painting them myself in a pinch (especially if I''m using a super sheer light pink so the mistakes aren''t as noticeable) but it''s the cuticles that I need help with. It''s an extravagance I know, but having my nails done makes me feel better!
Thank you for your post .... I don''t mind paying for a proper manicure if it will help. How often do you have to go?

I just hope they don''t want to snip anything off......

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in as another who does NOT want to push my cuticles back. Just the thought of it is
32.gif
but I suppose having them pushed back makes the nail look nicer when it is painted (no bump). Maybe some vitamins might help with the breaking? I read somewhere that there''s a certain mineral which is essential to the growth and strength of hair and nails...I think it''s a vitamin B called Biotin.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 12:08:57 PM
Author: Chrono
Count me in as another who does NOT want to push my cuticles back. Just the thought of it is
32.gif
but I suppose having them pushed back makes the nail look nicer when it is painted (no bump). Maybe some vitamins might help with the breaking? I read somewhere that there''s a certain mineral which is essential to the growth and strength of hair and nails...I think it''s a vitamin B called Biotin.
I don''t mind taking vitamins.... I can do that!! No snipping involved in taking vitamins!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2007 11:09:08 AM
Author: Lorelei

1.gif

You need ECF as she has rapidly become my nail guru!!! But until she checks in...

Ta-da!!!!!!!!!!!!! he he he..........

Ok here is a link to an "FAQ" of sorts on a nail board I''m a member of - I hope the link works and you are able to read it! nailboardwisdom notepad on MUA

Lets see.... in short, a few things I think work:

Nail-Tek II treatment

Nail-Tek II ridge filling foundation (my holy grail basecoat now, and I''ve tried a BUNCH...)

Use a glass nail file (not an emery board - they are too gritty and harsh and tend to tear the nail surface).
File in 1 direction only (hard to do - I forget and "saw" too...)

Take Biotin 3000 mcg daily - this dose has been shown in medical research to thicken the nail, strengthen it, and makes your nails and hair (ALL of your hair...) grow faster. I really do think my nails are thicker and grow faster - I use a Hair, Skin, and Nails formula from Target (in a pink box in the vitamin / supplement area).

Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover in the blue bottle is great - I use that every few days.

An alpha-hydroxy cuticle cream, such as Creative Cuticle Eraser or Poshe AHA Cuticle Care a few times a day if you can, but definitely at night. Exfoliates the cuticle area, cuts down on hangnails, and stimulates the nail growth plate to stimulate growth.

Wear gloves to wash dishes, etc - this has really helped me a lot! I used to get peels at the tips - but if I am diligent about wearing my gloves I''ve noticed it doesn''t happen as much. :D

Hope that helps a little - I''ll be happy to try and answer any questions I can!

And just for fun, here''s a pic of a new fave of mine: "Rehab" by Lippmann

IMG_9107.JPG

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie: I had Gel nails also some time ago and I was advised not to ever remove them just let them grow out.Othervise it weakens your own nails.I find Nail Envy( I think is by OPI )works somehow to make them stronger.Also make sure you have enought Calcium in your diet.Keep the Cuticles moist I find Bag Balm works wonders for that and also slows down the growth of cuticles.It takes months to improve the condition ,so don''t expect any changes too soon...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Something I forgot to mention.... I wash my hands a lot. I have OCD.

Its never really caused a problem with my nails before but I thought I should mention it....

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2007 11:21:56 AM
Author: Maisie

Date: 11/14/2007 11:07:39 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Thank you for your post .... I don''t mind paying for a proper manicure if it will help. How often do you have to go?

I just hope they don''t want to snip anything off......
Once a week--I have a standing 11:30 appointment on Thursdays, LOL.

BTW, I just had my nails done a deep red color last week because I went to a black tie charity event over the weekend and they look like hell already. I am a BIG fan of the light sheer colors, especially if people are looking at your hands a lot (and I imagine they must be since you''re in a jewelry store!).

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the light colours too. I love pink nail polish.... Must be an 80's thing!!
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
get a crystal nail file. it will make a world of difference.
also, moisturize! orange oil on the cuticles at night will help too.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 3:04:10 PM

Its never really caused a problem with my nails before but I thought I should mention it....
washing is good! just make sure to moisturize too! you don''t want to negate the good you are doing with washing by having dry, cracky skin where the bugs can get in.
4.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 5:17:50 PM
Author: belle

Date: 11/14/2007 3:04:10 PM

washing is good! just make sure to moisturize too! you don''t want to negate the good you are doing with washing by having dry, cracky skin where the bugs can get in.
4.gif
Eww that is such a good point!!!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Neutrogena makes a nail product that isn''t a polish, it comes in a squeezy pen, and it''s magic. You can put it on a few times a day if you''d like and it leaves a light sheen. If you put on too much, it washes right off. I wash my hands easily 50x a day and my nails dry out like crazy. I also can''t seem to keep polish on and will pick an anything imperfect. This stuff has been a godsend for me! After a few weeks it''s like I have all new nails! I think it comes in a pearlescent version too.

Neutrogena nail enhancer

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EC, that is an outrageous pic of your nails there and LOVE LOVE LOVE the shape of the nails!!!
30.gif
30.gif
I am going to try to do mine that way!
16.gif

Interesting about not wanting to push back cuticles, I have always done it and don''t feel properly manicured without doing it, but whatever works! They key is to anyone wanting to try it is to be gentle and use a wooden stick.

Kats

Rough_Rock
I find washing my hands with a gentle hand soap is better for my hands and nails too - I like Simple hand wash. Also, I slather on hand cream (you can put on cuticle cream too if your cuticles need it) and wear cotton gloves on them overnight - it helps both my hands and nails.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results