shape
carat
color
clarity

My WF/Union Diamond Knife Edge Solitaire E-Ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, this is interesting. I think that visually the larger the stone, the smaller/thinner the prongs look as they wrap around it. Honestly the price difference between the UD and the Superbcert is huge, I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for, but I have been so pleased with my UD setting that I am not sure what exactly the differences could be, really, other than just stylistic. I think that the prongs are pretty dainty. People who compliment my ring ususally say that it looks like a little crown sitting on the band. Cute!
3.gif

Froufrou, where did you get your stone?

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
kit: i got my diamond at Bluenile. It's an AGS00 .74 ct and looks sooo pretty :)

I bought a regular knife edge six prong from a local jeweler, i wasted like 6 hours of his time and ended up just settling on that one cause the knife edge really made the diamond look nice and nothing else did plus I felt bad to waste his time, its a Stuller six prong so the knife edge looks the same but the prongs are just straight out to the diamond.... then when i saw all the tiffany replicas online i feel in love with those more :) i cant return this one but i was seriously considering purchasing a different setting for it...it wont be set for a while yet. especially since the UD one seems so reasonably priced. it doesnt seem like there is a big diff. between the UD and superbcert. then if i switch it i may have to spring for platinum too instead of the 14K WG that mine is. the problem is its such a SMALL difference between the two...basically the prongs are slightly different.

but yours definately looks like a little "crown", i love that. mine definately dont look like a crown.

Kit...what kind of wedding band are you going to (or do you already) wear with your ring?

i wonder what width the band is on the tiffany. the UD is 1.8-2.3 but i cant find tiffany anywhere..boo.
another possible difference is that the band on tiffany has more up and down action near the prongs whereas the UD is thinner up and down.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Frou,

I hear you on the crown thing. I know for some, they prefer the diamond to be set up high and the stuller setting really works for that. But I knew I always wanted a very low setting, and the crown type head I think is great for that look.

I also really like the knife edge. I think the width of this band is a bit over 2 mm. Originally I was set on a ritani setting that was very slim. But then we decided to look at cheaper settings so that we could get a larger stone. I am very pleased! Plus, as anxious as I am, I don''t know I''m the type of person that could wear a micropave style ring. I would be too worried about losing the diamonds!

I am also decided on an eternity band for a wedding ring. I have always loved that look and I think it looks lovely and classic with the simple six prong setting. I will probably end up getting a 1/2 or 1/3 eternity. Too bad I have to wait until October of next year to wear it! I have put it out of my mind for now.
2.gif

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
well, ive decided, i think im going to get the UD setting and see how i like it, ive been seriously thinking about the setting for the whole weekend :) if i decide it is too similar to my current one i will return it. but ive been practicing wearing my current one with no diamond and it does seem to snag quite a bit on stuff because it is so high.

kit...a question for you: when you order it , it just comes for a standard size diamond? i know on WF you can order different settings depending whether you have close to a .5 or close to .75 or 1 or whatever, but that doesn''t seem to be the case on UD...

and i think an eternity ring with diamonds all around will look stellar with that ring for you :) i keep thinking i would want a plain thicker band for my wedding band because id want to be able to wear it separate and look like a "real "wedding band (like the kind my mother and grandma have you know) but that wouldn''t look so great w/ a knife edge i dont think. maybe i will have to get TWO wedding bands then :) hahah!

so HERE''s a cool thing. i was browsing signed pieces and they had a used original Tiffany w/ a .4 ct diamond. the cool thing is, the photography is not all fancy and without the fancy photography, i now think the UD setting looks IDENTICAL to tiffany, except for the fact that tiffany shows those yucky "joints" that UD doesn''t show.

look...

http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=4065

(i couldnt figure out how to post the pics)

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
21386.jpg

Here it is!

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Frou, I think that''s a great plan. You can always return it--I believe they have a 30 day policy? I have never gotten my ring snagged on anything, the only thing that happens sometimes is if I''m wearing a sweater or blanket or something, and fuzzies get caught in the prongs.

I recommend emailing Tony Rixom, or calling him directly. Tell him your ring size and the size of your diamond. I am pretty sure they custom make their settings based on your specifications, unless they have one already lying around that fits your bill.

BTW don''t panic when you receive it and you think the prongs are waaaay long--they make them unfinished like this b/c the jeweler who sets the ring will do their jeweler thing to file down the prongs accordingly.

Also, I know that there are knife edge wedding bands out there that have diamonds in them. Maybe this is something you want to consider?

gi_WFDB-773_m.jpg

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 3:48:59 PM
Author: froufrou
kit: i got my diamond at Bluenile. It''s an AGS00 .74 ct and looks sooo pretty :)

I bought a regular knife edge six prong from a local jeweler, i wasted like 6 hours of his time and ended up just settling on that one cause the knife edge really made the diamond look nice and nothing else did plus I felt bad to waste his time, its a Stuller six prong so the knife edge looks the same but the prongs are just straight out to the diamond.... then when i saw all the tiffany replicas online i feel in love with those more :) i cant return this one but i was seriously considering purchasing a different setting for it...it wont be set for a while yet. especially since the UD one seems so reasonably priced. it doesnt seem like there is a big diff. between the UD and superbcert. then if i switch it i may have to spring for platinum too instead of the 14K WG that mine is. the problem is its such a SMALL difference between the two...basically the prongs are slightly different.

but yours definately looks like a little ''crown'', i love that. mine definately dont look like a crown.

Kit...what kind of wedding band are you going to (or do you already) wear with your ring?

i wonder what width the band is on the tiffany. the UD is 1.8-2.3 but i cant find tiffany anywhere..boo.
another possible difference is that the band on tiffany has more up and down action near the prongs whereas the UD is thinner up and down.

Hi Frou,

I called Tiffany''s customer service before about the width of the band, and I was told that it is 2mm. But, I didn''t ask if it was at the top, middle or bottom, so I''m not sure what part of the band is 2mm. Also, recently 1 ct tiffany 6-prong knife-edge ring was on sale on e-bay, and I asked the buyer to give me the width of the band. According to the seller, it is about 2.3mm at the top and 2mm at the bottom, which is very close to UD''s width (1.8 - 2mm).

Regarding the wedding band, Ifm pretty much sure that I want to go with the simplest platinum knife-edge wedding band (no diamond). I just want to keep the setting and band simple so that the diamond will get all the attentions!

19.gif

I''m still contemplating whether to go with UD or my local jeweler, so please let me know your thoughts too if you get UD setting.

Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kit
congrats
36.gif
a beautiful classic !!!
30.gif

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, D.F.!

10.gif

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
oh no!!!

look the email I received:

"Hello,
Thank you for your inquiry to www.uniondiamond.com. Unfortunately we do not sell our tiffany mountings by themselves; we only sell them with the purchase of a loose diamond

If you have any further questions or concerns, please email or call me at 1-800-325-1251.
Best Regards,
Leah Cawley
Senior Diamond Consultant

"

Whats THAT all about!?!!!!! i inquired as to how to specify the size of my stone, and thats the reply i got. however it does let me buy it using online method but then i cant specify my stone size. should i just do that? Kit...did you specify the size of your stone? I thought you bought your stone from a diff vendor than UD right???

i was all set to buy it today....aaargh. how weird, because i went through all the way to "put in your credit card" and its definately letting me buy the setting by itself online. im just worried about what size diamond it would fit.

what do you guys think???

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
"I recommend emailing Tony Rixom, or calling him directly. Tell him your ring size and the size of your diamond. I am pretty sure they custom make their settings based on your specifications, unless they have one already lying around that fits your bill."

Kit, what''s Tony''s email?

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, she does reply back and tell me that the prong is custom made for the diamond.

"Hello,
The Tiffany Settings are made with the correct size head for the diamond; they are made in any size."

maybe i can pretend to be someone else and email a different salesperson about this???

basically i just replied back and was like "Please pretty please can''t I buy it" lol.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
AARG...

"Hello Anya,

I am sorry but we cannot sell the tiffany mountings by themselves, as the tiffanies are sold at cost when you buy a loose diamond. This is not a new policy, so I am not sure how your friend was able to make the purchase a few months ago.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.
"

Kit...how did you convince them to let you buy it??
this is too weird. it doesn''t say on their website that I cannot buy it...

i hope you reply soon!!! i am sooo disappointed about this if it is true that I cannot buy it, i spent all week thinking about buying it.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail, unfortunately we have changed our procedures on selling just the solitaires from the site.

With the JGTIFP the diamond has to be purchased with the mounting, we are selling the mountings at just above cost with a diamond a combination to increase sales, selling the mounting separately I will actually loose money.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Tony Rixom

OH NO ocean, i guess neither of us can get this setting...this sucks. im going to ask him about the whitegold one i guess :-/ aaag its not fair, if only i had bought it when Kit got hers!!!!!

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Oh no! I can''t believe this!! So, I guess UD is out....
39.gif

When I started my diamond search a couple month ago, I was dealing with UD first (thanks to Barbara who helped me paitiently), but afer reading and learning more about it, I decided that I want to buy it from a company who at least provide idealscope. So, I can''t buy a diamond from UD...

I''m still considering my local jealer, but also other settings too (as I mentioned in my other post). Now, I really don''t know what I want!!!! I''m going crazy!!
26.gif

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
ocean: sorry, what other settings are you considering?? i am not sure i read the other post. similar to the knife edge or something completely different?

i inquired about the www.niceice.com knife edges and they are $855 in plat and $650 in WG -- thats kind of a lot for me :razz: I would go for WG if it were a palladium mix but its not.

there is also a knife edge on the www.betterthandiamond.com site but it is more squat and heavy, apparently though it is the same exact one as the Tiffany ORIGINAL from the 1800s. from what i learned on that site, Tiffanys slightly changes their design every once in a while. that one is a lot cheaper though for WG anyways, its only 350 or something like that but for plat it is around 700 i think. i didnt like that one at all though so i dont remember prices exactly.

i really wish I could find something for around 500 because that is really my budget. what with paying 855 i might as well get one with DIAMONDS on the band at least. these prices seem so steep for simple solitaires... ugh!

the problem is as soon as i find a nice setting already we can have the diamond set and then i can start waiting for a proposal already ;-)

///EDIT

wahooo! i just got an Email from Tony :) i was so persistent that I think Tony is going to let me buy the platinum setting after all...YESSSS!!!!! i cant wait for it to arrive so i can post PICS! :) but now the UD website has a fix so you cant buy a setting with no diamond, they wrote a note on it like i said they probably should

///EDIT

okay...so i've bought the setting!!! :):) yay! search over. Kit, how long did it take yours to arrive, do you remember?

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
FrouFrou,

So, have you received the setting?! Can''t wait to hear about it!!
26.gif

Chi

Shiny_Rock
Kit - congrat''s....!
Thanks for sharing your pics and I loved reading your proposal night...it sounded perfect...
21.gif

Congra''ts again - your ring is stunning...a CLASSIC....
36.gif

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
YES ocean I did get it!!! you mustve not notice my post cause you didnt comment. Its in Rocky Talky, i posted some pics of it since the diamonds not in it yet: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ud-tiff-style-setting-is-here.46182/

it IS a very very thin knife edge and im wondering if i cant shave it down a little bit, im not sure if it will bother my fingers. I was going to wear it around the house after i got it but after i did its photoshoot my boyfriend took it away and hid it and said i cant have it now til we get engaged. so now im not sure if the knife edge will bother me. its definately a lot thinner than the stuller knife edge.

does it bother your fingers kit?

and kit...thanks so much for helping me make this decision :):)

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
OMG. Frou, Ocean, I cannot believe I missed all this drama. I went away on vacation for 2 weeks--sorry I wasn''t responding.

Thank GOD Tony came to his senses and sold you the setting. What is up with them not selling their settings solo?!? Well, I am so glad it all worked out. I know, the knife edget is considerable but honestly it does not bother me in the least. I really cannot feel it and also I think it keeps it shinier because the only part on the top of the band getting scratched is that edge.

It is too bad that others can''t go to UD for the setting though.

I am going to go check out your Rocky Talky post now! Congratulations!!!
36.gif

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
Kit: thanks :) i was wondering where you were!

i guess since prices are going up so much for platinum they don''t make as big a profit on the settings as they do on diamonds so its not worth their time to sell their settings separate. im waiting to receive confirmation of insurance and then im getting it SET!!! i cant wait, maybe next week :):):)

hausee

Rough_Rock
I wonder if anyone has the picture of size 4.5 with .75c diamond ring. my girl friend has really small finger

jhn

Rough_Rock
Hi Kit,

I''m planning to buy the same setting (6-prong tiffany-like) for my gf from UnionDiamond, it''s really good looking - your diamond too!
1.gif

i haven''t seen the setting from the side, so I wonder how thick the setting is where the diamond is mounted? What I really want to know is wheter I will have a hard time finding a wedding band that will sit flush with the e-ring?

Thanks for your input!

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif
Hi Jhn,

Thanks! I continue to be very happy with my e-ring
1.gif

I will be honest, it seems that you will have a problem getting a wedding band to sit flush. You will have a gap. The head sits way low on the band, and (this is hard to describe) kind of sits on a tiny circular-shaped "pedestal" if you will. Hmm. Does this make sense?

Okay, I found a pic, it looks similar to this. See how there's like a bump where the head attaches to the band?

21385.jpg

This is definitely something to consider. Some people are really particular about their set sitting flush. I am not. You should be sure to know how your GF feels, this is my advice. Also, if you are planning any kind of shared prong set band, which I am, this is also a consideration because the girdles of the stones in the w-band will "eat" into the platinum of the head of the e-ring and can cause structural damage, ultimately...there are other posts about this issue on PS if you do a search. I believe that for Mara this was a concern so she had her bands done with extra metal...you should check with her though.

Good luck! It's a great setting.

ETA: IMHO, LOL!
9.gif

jhn

Rough_Rock
Hi Kit,

Thanks for your informative answer! So the UnionDiamond setting looks like the real tiffany setting, also in this particular matter? My sister has an original Tiffany-ring so I've seen the "pedestal" or "bump" you're refereing to :) Because of this I've also seen the "gap" between the e-ring and the w-ring and thats nothing to worry about, it won't be a problem....

Thanks for helping me sorting this matter out!

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Well, like I said earlier, I haven''t been able to compare settings side to side in real life, but based on all the pics I have seen it is pretty durn close...I am really happy with it, and I especially like the thinness of the band which is somewhere around 2 mm. Also I set my stone low in the head so it acheived a certain look for me as well that I was going for.

I hope it all comes together swimmingly for you!

CT026

Rough_Rock
Congratulations and what a beautiful ring! I especially like the setting
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results