shape
carat
color
clarity

My Vintage Cushion In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I''m new to this so hopefully I''m "blogging" correctly...

October of last year my husband and I were jewelry window shopping in Beverly Hills, I was trying on some engagement rings from Neil Lane. I''ve always thought cushions were nice, but I wasn''t 100% sure I would choose that to be my future stone (I loved asschers as well). Anyways, to make a long story short, after trying on the cushion rings a NL I decided that I loved cushions. Since I would not be able to purchase my ring from NL due to the very expensive price tag, I would have to search for a vintage cushion stone thru another source.

Well, just my luck! After leaving NL and exploring the other antique jewelry shops the building had to offer I stumbled on a vintage cushion diamond in it''s original edwardian style setting. It was like finding treasure (searching for a old stone can be very difficult, a lot of bad ones) the stone was kinda hidden in the setting so it wasn''t super obvious that it was a cushion. But when I looked closely at the ring I could tell that the stone was very clean and the size of the stone was in my ball park... My diamond in the rough
1.gif

So without too much convincing, my sweet husband purchased the ring for me. We sent it to GIA to get certified (that took 2 months) when it arrived back I had it for about 3 weeks. I came up with some drawings with a friend of a friend (who happened to have made some rings for Neil Lane, now she is a mother of 2) and it was sent out 2 weeks ago. Next Friday I get to see it and try it on (see how it fits and looks w/ my wedding band) then I think they need about a week more, and soon I will have my beautiful (I hope) ring to share with you all. All I have now is pics of my loose cushion set on my finger with my wedding bands. Let me know what you all think, I would love to hear what all you experts have to say
1.gif
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!

000a354211.jpg

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
some more pics.... Yes thats tape around the stone to stick to my finger
2.gif

000a35421tape.jpg

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
It was sunset when I took this pic and so the stone has a lot of shadows/contrast in it... But I love the photo!

Also I notice this stone gets dirty easily (notice the finger prints) I think since it''s a vintage cut... Fewer facets

000b33217.jpg

BlueJeans

Shiny_Rock
That is one big cushion. Do you have any idea what carat weight it is? Just beautiful, I can''t wait to see the final product!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Looks great--from afar...some close ups please!!!!!! (I am old and can''t see....
3.gif
)

cheers--Sharon

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
specs:

3 carat
VVS1
G Color

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
sorry canuk I don''t think I have any close ups as of now... I''ll double check though.

when I get the ring I will take close ups.

ginseng_girl

Rough_Rock
can''t wait to see your finished ring~ cushions are so lovely~ :)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
ooo that looks like one gorgeous cushion! Can''t wait to see the finished ring!
Love the tape!
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous cushion! I have to echo the request for close-up pics.

Do you mind sharing which shop you bought your cushion at? I didn''t even realize there was such a concentration of antique jewelry shops by Neil Lane, so I''m glad you mentioned it (I just googlemapped it).

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Yuuuuumy! I love those vintage cushions. What a big beauty that is. And, yes, more closeups of those chunky facets please!
emsmile.gif

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like a wonderful stone -
1.gif
- can''t wait to see your finished ring!! It should be gorgeous.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
I love the look of cushions but I don''t think I''ve ever seen an antique cushion cut. What makes it an antique cut? Can''t wait for the close up pics of the diamond and the final product.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a beautiful stone. I too would love to see close ups!!! What kind of setting will it be in? Cant wait to see it all done!!
36.gif

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 8:46:55 PM
Author: Dani
It looks like a beautiful stone. I too would love to see close ups!!! What kind of setting will it be in? Cant wait to see it all done!!
36.gif
Thanks Dani!

Me and my jewelry designer designed a edwardian style ring for the stone. Since it''s a vintage stone I wanted my ring to compliment the stone. I wanted the ring to show off the stone, rather than hide it (like it''s previous setting).

The best way to describe the ring design is: very delicate and simple, to have a organic flow/feeling, only up close there are many details and new things to discover to the ring, nothing that will compete with my cushion... Hope that makes sense. This is what I told my designer I wanted to achieve with this setting.

Close ups will come as soon as I get my ring. Promise!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, gorgeous stone! I can''t wait to see it set!

CaliBling

Shiny_Rock
That is one gorgeous rock!! Thanks for sharing, cant wait to see the finished produt! What are you thinking as far as settings?

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Holy crap! That thing is ENORMOUS!!! I love it, and I can''t wait to see your new design! Hooray for you!

Futuremrss

Shiny_Rock
I cannot wait to see the finished product! That was quite a find you got there. I cannot believe you found such a nice cushion in an antique setting!

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 8:05:14 PM
Author: musey
Gorgeous cushion! I have to echo the request for close-up pics.

Do you mind sharing which shop you bought your cushion at? I didn''t even realize there was such a concentration of antique jewelry shops by Neil Lane, so I''m glad you mentioned it (I just googlemapped it).
Hi Musey,

I purchased my stone from a jewelry boutique called Platt, it''s a brother and sister duo and they''re fabulous! From what I''m aware Platt has gotten a good share of press. Around the time I was purchasing my ring, they told me that Tom Cruise''s personal shopper bought a ring for Katie Holmes from them... Due to the location and since it in the same building as Neil Lane it attracts celebrity clientele. Funny story, on one of my trips there my husband and I saw Monica Lewinsky, she''s sorta a celebrity right?
3.gif

FYI If you ever get a chance to make it down there, don''t be afraid to haggle the price. Offer what your willing to pay, never pay the asking price... Just a little tip
2.gif
Also, since most or all the jewelry are old and estate pieces your going to see a lot of not so great stuff. It''s not like walking into a Tiffany''s or Harry Winston''s. But w/ saying that you may walk out with a beautiful treasure like me
1.gif

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 11:59:16 PM
Author: Futuremrss
I cannot wait to see the finished product! That was quite a find you got there. I cannot believe you found such a nice cushion in an antique setting!
Yea, I didn''t know how rare the stone was until I talked to a few people. The boutique I bought the stone from insisted to me that it was "one of a kind" and that "they may never see another old stone this nice ever", or "in a very long time". Since they were trying to sale this stone to me at the time, I wasn''t just going to take their word without doing some research. I got in touch w/ a diamond broker and he gave me the same answer... I feel very fortunate to have found this stone, I''m the type that really appreciates the history,rarity and stories behind jewelry. The more romantic, old and/or exotic the piece the deeper I fall in love with it
1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I can see, it''s pretty! I hope that you''re able to take closer photos soon. Antique cushions are so pretty, I wish I could see one in real life!

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
It looks so beautiful from afar!!! I can''t wait to see more pics too, it''s almost a tease!
3.gif
Can''t wait to see it set, congrats!

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
your cushion is soooo pretty!!! i cant wait to see it in its setting it sounds beautiful!!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh the stone is absoultely gorgeous (from one antique cut "hearter" to another
2.gif
! Any chance we can talk you into taking some close up photos too
31.gif
?

I have never been to Neil Lane, although I have heard of them (who hasn''t?). I feel an itch to brave traffic in the Westside to see this place
27.gif

Quick question though: You mentioned that the stone''s GIA certification took over 2 months
6.gif
- why so? I have a 3+ carat old cut that I was going to send them to be certed but I thought that their turn around time was only 5-7 days (per their website)?

Cant wait to see more photos!!

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 10:52:06 AM
Author: HeartingDiamonds
Oh the stone is absoultely gorgeous (from one antique cut ''hearter'' to another
2.gif
! Any chance we can talk you into taking some close up photos too
31.gif
?

I have never been to Neil Lane, although I have heard of them (who hasn''t?). I feel an itch to brave traffic in the Westside to see this place
27.gif

Quick question though: You mentioned that the stone''s GIA certification took over 2 months
6.gif
- why so? I have a 3+ carat old cut that I was going to send them to be certed but I thought that their turn around time was only 5-7 days (per their website)?

Cant wait to see more photos!!
Hi HeartingDiamonds!

I sent my stone out to GIA during the holidays so that slowed down the process, after it was certified it was sent to Chicago to have a custom ring to be made for it. I decided to not have it mounted in Chicago and had it sent back to me, so thats why it took 2 months. Sorry should had specified earlier.

I will be able to take better pics of my ring in about 2 weeks, that''s when I get it back.

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Okay ladies hopefully this pic will give better detail...

000ab322176.jpg

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 3:36:32 PM
Author: IheartDiamonds
Okay ladies hopefully this pic will give better detail...

darn! it''s still too small, going to have to wait until hubby can show me how to make the pic bigger. sorry
8.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a gorgeous cushion!!! What an amazing find!!! Would you happen to know its ratio? You keep putting it east west on your finger, do you plan to set it that way?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a huge find you made there! Literally.
36.gif
I can''t wait to see it set!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results