shape
carat
color
clarity

MY UGLY FINGER:(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
I have been oogling all of these beautiful pave rings and melee so I had my heart set on a thin band with tons of little diamonds. I went and tried some on and they look HORRID on my hand. I have very meaty man hands
41.gif
41.gif
and I definitely suited the thicker look. I wonder if the pave look would suit a thicker band...let''s say if I had a halo or something. From my knuckle to my hand it is about 1 inch. Even then jewller was like "ugh".

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awwwwwwwwwwwww
face11.gif
...it can't be that bad...but if you don't like the look on your finger, that likely won't change unless you tweak it (the ring style, that is!). Have you looked at any shared prong bands with slightly bigger diamonds, like 3 pointers or so? I think Mara's rings are 3 pointers and although she has very dainty, nice, thin fingers, I think those size stones could hold their own on your finger, no? The shared prong setting gives a lot of sparkle as well. As far as halos go, they're all the rage and there's a new thread on them that just started here...see anything you like?

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
Whooo...I''d love to have a 3 carat. I am thinking more along the 1 carat. It completely disappears into my hand. But the thick band looked awesome. He also mentioned the fact that the thin bands are quite "ladylike". I am a loudmouthed bi$ch who drives a stock car ahahaha!! It didn''t really suit my personality though. I am kind of a "shot of tequila girl" and maybe it seemed a little more classy. It looked awesome on my sister though (the bag)! they are just beatiful. Maybe a couple of stacked bands around it. I tried on the 2 mm band and I could fit five on my finger!

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I LIKE...THANKS!!!! A half bezel with the diamond a little higher. Wow!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wouldn't we all love to have a 3 ct!!! I meant that the stones on Mara's band are 3 points, or 0.03 cts each. Her center stone is around 1.6 ct right now. Take a look at the bands...They are more than 2 mm, no? Around 2.5 mm or so? Here's the thread.

ETA: Marriahlyn's ring is scrumptious...and would work for you as well!

Cath

Shiny_Rock
1.gif
Glad to help! And don''t hate your finger -- I see all these beautiful rings on PS that I adore, but I know they would never look good on my hand. You can only work with what you''ve got!
2.gif

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Awww... I feel your pain! I have long, big fingers(size eight) which aren''t really chubby, just big. The styles that I like to look at aren''t the ones that I like to look at ON my hand. One of my all time favs for my hands is Tiffany''s half bezel with pave stones down the sides... I''m not sure the name but I''ve seen some great reproductions on here.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Here is one that I love from Whitefalsh...

gi_PL101-65_m.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
And this one:

gi_PL102pt-100_f.jpg

drk

Brilliant_Rock
It''s like the Tiffany Etoile ring http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/engagement_etoile_ring.asp?ring=pave&
My ring will be a low-set two-tone half bezel, just with a slightly thinner band than the Tiffany Etoile, cause my fingers aren''t long enough to handle the 7mm band I''d need for a 1.2ct diamond plus the 4mm wedding band I like. I love this style!
Hope you find just what you''re looking for!

skimmy

Rough_Rock
oh wow, the jeweler could have found a much nicer way to say it didn''t suit you than "ugh"
38.gif

but i am SO with you on the fat fingers...
i too love the pave bands and knew that the dainty look would not work on my hands. so i went with a fatter band...it''s almost 3mm wide with pave.

now i wish i had the foresight to envision a wedding band with my ring...then i would have made the band on my engagement ring a bit thinner. just remember that paired up with a wedding band, the width of the ring will increase (assuming you''re planning on getting a set to wear on one hand). (hopefully that makes sense!)

an engagement ring is for a period in your life...whereas a wedding set is for a lifetime!
1.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Hands and fingers do make quite a bit of difference as to what style or size of ring looks good on a person. I think that''s why I go more for the more understated styles with smaller stones. My hands are small, but I don''t have slender fingers. My hands are smaller than my 12 year old daughters! I always thought my hands looked rather "boyish". Small hands, short fingers, squarish nails which I got in the habit of wearing short in my nursing days...that combo doesn''t make a good backdrop for flashy or clunky looking rings, nor do I like the look of large stones, or ones that set up too high.

I''ve tried on my sister''s 1 carat diamond, and I''ve tried on a diamond once that was nearly 3 carats. I don''t think I''d really like the look of anything more than 1-1.5 carats on my hand. I also don''t like the look of wide or thick bands.

My best advise is to just go to a store and try on as many different styles as you can with different shapes and sizes of stones. You may be surprised at what you like when you see it on your hand, as opposed to what you like from a picture, or in a display, or on someone else''s hand. I often think larger hands look good with emerald cut, oval, and pear shaped stones. Sometimes chubby fingers look better with elongated shapes like emerald cuts or marquise as opposed to round or princess cuts. Bottom line is, you will never know what might look good on you or "speak" to you until you try it out in person.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
did someone say 3 carat? *perk*
9.gif

soulsis...one comment re the thinner bands...you can also get thinner bands, aka 3mm and get 3 total, aka 1st can be your e-ring, then a 2nd w-ring and then a 3rd anniversary ring or similar.

somewhat like Kayla's ritani rings which are about 1.5-1.7mm, but thicker to take up more room if you really like that thinner pave look. i like that stacked ring look if the hand can carry it off.

the funny thing is that you DO get used to things after you see them for a while. aka when i first started trying rings on my hand, i thought they ALL looked weird. wasnt used to seeing anything on there. got my e-ring, got used to it by itself, but then thought it looked naked. now with 2 rings, used to that though at first i thought i didn't like it--since i was used to seeing just the e-ring. now when i just wear my e-ring sometimes around the house, it looks so foreign to me!

but i do know what you mean about looking good on the hand...my coworker had this interesting setting with some princess channel set stones in a cathedral band leading up to a chunky head and alot of metal and i thought that was SOO not my style...but it looked good on her hand and when i tried it on, it looked really good on mine! better maybe than a thinner pave band...BUT i really liked the pave and in the end i am happy with what i got. while my fingers are decently long, i do have a wider hand/palm area than many women..their only saving grace is that the fingers are not short...so i think i notice it more than most people. funny how we always notice our flaws more than others!

so just keep trying stuff on and think about maybe 3 thinner bands together or those wider bands that are being posted, those would be lovely on a strong looking hand. good luck but don't get discouraged!

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
Patty...that second one is a dream. That would look great on me! My finger''s aren''t fat (6 3/4) but they are long. After all I am 5''10"!!
Nothing about me is dainty. I mean, I am shaped like Marilyn Monroe...very womanly. I want something to reflect me, right?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Ritani has some multiple row pave rings... these are from Solomon Brothers website.

90218.JPG
90220.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooh I love that multi-sided row halo on the left! SWOON!

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
sorry that link didn''t work but here is the pear example, they have many different shapes:
just go to www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com and click on the micro-pave collection.

DCD Pear pave.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results