shape
carat
color
clarity

my trip to Seattle gems and jewelry show

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we do not have much in Seattle. Our opera and symphony are not the best, although definitely improving, and I hope our art museum buys something new because it is very small (not in size).

Same for the show. I went to see some stones, just to train my eye. Did not plan on buying anything and did not, as a result, although some LLoliondo spessartines and spinels captured my interest. Vanadium chrysoberyl was very interesting, very much like mint tourmaline in color, but it cost a lot, and I am glad the show closed before I made my decision.

I saw several "Paraibas". Most of them were just cuprians, one was from Brazil. I can not say I was fascinated. I think there are very few that are really something, the prices for the rest of them are simply hyperinflated because of the "trade mark". I would say that the ones that I saw on PS were brand names (like Michael Kors or Taryn Rose) and the ones I saw in the show were...like Michael by Michael Kors or Taryn by Taryn Rose. Very bright stones, though.

Same for alexes. Much as I criticise my own, it looked very nice in their incandescent lightings (by comparison). While the ones I saw turned dark purple to brownish.

So: never buy for the word alone. Same for Burmese rubies. I saw some that I did not like, although they were unheated. If they could not get the color they wanted even with their lights...then they were not worth buying, certified or not.

Some of fancy diamonds were nice, but most them were HPHT. (Hopefully, I get the sequence right). The cut of the real ones was, mostly, far from ideal. The dealers actually acknowledged it when I pointed it out to them.

And that sapphire...I do not know what decision to make. It is vB, 4 or 5, (I''d say, 5), medium. (The vendor said he did not use GIA scale). Unheated, GIA certified. Very minor silk inclusions, basically a very clean stone. 5.23 ct if my memory doesn''t fail me. It has a tiny window, but even on the certificate it looks as very small, just a narrow line. In fact, I am not even sure if it is not a tilt window as I can not see my skin under it.

I negotiated the price down to $ 1000/ct. For this price, it is a very nice stone and may be sold today. I jsut do not know what to do with it. It holds its color under incandescent light, and even under day light. It is very bright. Trouble is...it may be a tone lighter for my taste. I have seen a lot of light sapphires and I don''t like them. Violet, actually, makes it nicer (otherwise it would look like a medium-tone sapphire) but I absolutely dislike violet-blue tanzanites and there is something of their color in it.

So...I wanted to buy it, then I was happy I did not when I was driving away, today I am disputing whether to come back or not. It is very much happy and has no grey modifiers, but it is hard to tell. I guess I have to wear it on my hand for 2 weeks to decide.

The vendor is pretty reputable. And a nice guy. Most of his stones are from good sources and priced nicely. My ruby, demantoid and tsavorites look much better, though.

For some reason, several people said that I "know my stones". I do not know if it is a standard compliment or, indeed, I learned something from the PS.

Could you give me an idea about the sapphire? The guy said, "if it talks to your heart". I have heard this expression several times, and, honestly, it is not always easy to tell on the spot, with their lights all around.

With "talking to your heart", it is with like your first love. You get fascinated, maybe jump into a marriage, then it starts irritating you, then you come to a conclusion that yours is good by comparison with what other people have or what you might have got.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe violet keeps the price down, but like you, I like sapphires with a touch of violet. Don't fall for the "talking to your heart" line. That's how most sellers get you, and they're trained to tug at your heart strings. For example, the diamond market is based on "romanticizing the stone." For a pricey stone, I would want a comprehensive color report on it, but that's just me. A trained eye is necessary to determine the quality of color unless you have been collecting for a long time and are very familiar with a gem species and various qualities. I'm not as familiar with blue sapphires, so for me, I would personally want a comprehensive color report, not just a report stating "unheated blue sapphire." If you trust your eye to evaluate fine color in sapphires, that's a different story.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I disagree. I KNOW immediately if I want a gemstone or not. It really does make me smile and I can''t bear the thought of not having it. Sometimes, it''s a slow burn and I have to go back and keep looking but if I''m doing that, I usually know I should get it.

You''ve said the sapphire is lighter than you would want. That, to me, means you should pass. Only buy what you REALLY love otherwise you''re wasting your money

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I know right away if I love a stone too. We don''t have any really great gem shows here in San Francisco either. But I usually find some fun stuff to use in my jewelry making class
The San Francisco Gem and Mineral Society puts on a pretty fun show each year. http://www.sfgms.org/

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the guy's card and I think I can get in touch with him. I think it can sell for a higher price just because it is so bright. It is a mood-elevating stone; generally, I'd like a darker tone but it is harder to tell, it was surely the darkest one they had. If you look at Stepgirl's PICTURES, the one I liked is a tone darker. But she said that hers was darker IRL so again, it is hard to tell. It may be of the same color as Making The Grade's tanzanite (in pictures) only more violetish.

It is a pretty large stone and has a decent certificate (GIA) with it. So I guess the dealer had some expectations from this stone. Trouble is...I just don't know if looking at it all day long would make me happy or not. It may look darker in a diamond halo - just by comparison. But as I said, generally I prefer darker stones. It is closer to darker than lighter colored on the color scale... hard to tell. In general, it could be a good buy given some of the prices I encountered in this business but I think it is just the prices. I think I shall not go to the show today...pass on it, so far, and then wait what the next day brings. I love sapphires and I love them unheated, but I love them right.

Funny about Burmese...they were certified but apparently, pedigree is not everything.

Same for spinel. Hard as I tried, I still can not find a decent Burmese spinel. The color is either too pinky or too dark, or just not right.

I encountered a very old precision cutter. He has a major disability that should generally prevent him from cutting but it does not. And his prices are decent, and he is local. Interesting how you can come above your major disadvantage. I do not think he would mind me discussing it here because we spoke about his problem with him. (After all, I am a doctor). He showed a lot of humor discussing it. I am glad that I found him because I can definitely use him to cut some inexpensive rough that I had acquired or brought from Moscow. And he was the nicest guy in the whole show.

Interesting about Paraibas. Definitely, not all of them are "wows".

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2010 4:17:54 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Actually I disagree. I KNOW immediately if I want a gemstone or not. It really does make me smile and I can''t bear the thought of not having it. Sometimes, it''s a slow burn and I have to go back and keep looking but if I''m doing that, I usually know I should get it.

You''ve said the sapphire is lighter than you would want. That, to me, means you should pass. Only buy what you REALLY love otherwise you''re wasting your money
For me, it depends on the price. If I''m paying a significant amount per carat for something, I really need to know if it''s good color if I''m not familiar with the qualities in that gem species. You would not believe the issues I was recently having with a stone and color recently, should I keep it, should I not keep it.
2.gif
??? I was going nuts for a week. In the end, after showing the gem to some people I respect and regard as highly knowledgable in this species of gem and color, I decided to keep it. It was less per carat than your sapphire, so I think for $1K/ct, I would really need something in writing, but that''s just me. Everyone is different, and if you are unsure of a gem, it''s probably the smart thing to pass, as LD suggested. If it were a minty tourmaline, or a gem I was more familiar with, then I would probably know right away if it were an appropriate quality for the price.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But that vanadium-bearing chryso was something else! Certified by Gubelin. I am glad I did not rush into buying it because I may find better prices, although for a stone of several cts...maybe not?

The prices for spessartines seem to be going down. Spinel, on the contrary, is big-time on the rise.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2010 5:59:23 PM
Author: crasru
But that vanadium-bearing chryso was something else! Certified by Gubelin. I am glad I did not rush into buying it because I may find better prices, although for a stone of several cts...maybe not?

The prices for spessartines seem to be going down. Spinel, on the contrary, is big-time on the rise.
They''re pretty rare, so prices on top quality ones are probably non-negotiable. I don''t know if this one is still available, but it was on cherrypicked.com some time ago. The photo looks enhanced, but if it was anything like this color, $$$$$$.

I''ve heard the prices on spessartites and spinels are both on the rise.

vanidiumchysoberylneon.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More like your mint tourmaline. Initially I was positive that it was mint tourmaline. I even posted a question with your name, because I came home still being positive that it was vanadium TOURMALINE (how would I know? If there are copper-bearing ones, why not vanadium-bearing?). And then I look at my sheet of paper and saw it was a chrysoberyl. How large was the chrys. from cherrypicked?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2010 6:59:33 PM
Author: crasru
More like your mint tourmaline. Initially I was positive that it was mint tourmaline. I even posted a question with your name, because I came home still being positive that it was vanadium TOURMALINE (how would I know? If there are copper-bearing ones, why not vanadium-bearing?). And then I look at my sheet of paper and saw it was a chrysoberyl. How large was the chrys. from cherrypicked?
What question with my name??? Can't locate it.

I don't know the size on that stone. It appears cherrypicked.com is under some construction/renovation, and I can't check to see it. Here's a new pic of my mint tourmaline I took last night when correcting for white balance. Did it look similar? If so, I would say it's a pretty expensive vanadium. You rarely ever see them this minty green. My tourmaline goes more green in daylight. I wish it would stay this color all the time.

TLmingtourmyg2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a top quality Merelani mint that was sold from Pala some time ago. Again similar in color to a nice vanadium.

merelani_from_pala.jpg

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2010 7:27:50 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here is a top quality Merelani mint that was sold from Pala some time ago. Again similar in color to a nice vanadium.

wow - this one is such an interesting stone :)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
This is my vanadium chrysoberyl. The woman at Andrew Sarosi''s booth at the first Intergem show I went to had a vanadium chrysoberyl ring too but hers was much darker and more green.

kiz-asring1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results