shape
carat
color
clarity

My trip to PERU!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
So, my big holiday in Peru is fast approaching, and I just got my Rough Guide in the mail from Amazon (haha! how appropriate! now I''ll take it HOME to the Amazon)

My plan is to leave Lima the day after I arrive and travel to Trujillo which is on the coast in the north. It''s supposed to have perfect warm dry weather, and there''s a desert at the edge, and lots of little fishing villages where you can sit by the crashing surf and eat awesome food.

From there I''ll visit....

trujillo.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
...the ruins of Chan Chan, capital of the Chimu empire, as well as some other interesting and important sites.

chan chan.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
... my plan is to then go up into the Andes to Cajamarca, the town near where Pizarro captured Atahualpa. There are supposed to be some awesome hotsprings there (which is why Atahualpa was in town), and it''s a convenient jumping off point to head into the AMAZON JUNGLE!

cajamarca.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I''ll then head to Iquitos by plane (I have to check this), a city in the Amazon you can only reach by boat or plane. It''s mixture of cool colonial architecture (Eiffel, of tower fame, built some things there) and float-with-the-rising-water huts like this...

iquitos.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Plan is to then hire an expedition guide and head into the deeeep jungle for 5 days or so. The list of diseases I can apparently contract there is impressive, but I''ve got my jabs, my malarone, and my bug-proof jacket (that zips around your face), so I''ll hope for the best!

Sloths! monkeys! Birds of many colours! Here I come!

amazon jungle.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I''ll probably spend the last two days on one of the supposedly amazing beaches in the north, before flying back to Lima to head home.

peru beach.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Of course, plans may change as I go along, but it's nice to start out with an idea of what to do.

This is the trip with my birthday-airmiles (that my dad gives me each year) and my aim was to keep costs, once I get there, at roughly what I would spend just going about my business if I was at home. Except for the amazon expedition (which may cost a few hundred) this will apparently be pretty easy to do. Hurray!

That being the upside of traveling in less developed countries, I was reminded of the downside while reading the guide too. Things like "A great little guesthouse, with hot water most mornings!"

Ah, yes. Cold showers. How many fond travel memories I have of those.

sera

Ideal_Rock
WOW! Sounds like an A M A Z I N G trip!!! I would love to see the Amazon- the only thing that scares me about that is the vast array of bugs!
32.gif
The fun of developing countries- you wake up with bites from things you just don't wanna know about. ew. But how awesome to see such beautiful and interesting places and meet wonderful people. Please post your pics when you return and keep yourself safe.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IG....How amazing. We leave Friday...2 days in Lima then to Iquitos to catch our boat for a 10-day ride down the river w/explorations into the jungle. If you see a boat like this passing by while you''re exploring jump up & down and wave so I''ll know it''s you
9.gif
We''ll be spending a few days at Pacaya-Samiria Reserve so if you happen to visit there start hollering for Matata and maybe w/luck we''ll get to meet & share a meal. I hope you have a fabulous trip!

Amazon Riverboat.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your trip sounds awesome! Good luck, be safe and please tell us how you like it when you get back! I''m thinking about going there for my next trip, too.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Matata That''s so awesome! I''m jealous that you''ll be traveling in such style up (down?) the Amazon! It sounds like you''ll be back before I leave, so I hope you''ll check in and let me (and us) know how at went!

YAY! So excited!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I just DIE of jealousy now?
39.gif

You must post a trip report when you come back. Yes, I know there are other travel forums out there for that kind of stuff, but please humor this preggo, homebound, pathetic woman...please?
12.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a wonderful trip to Peru, IG! I can''t wait to see and hear about it when you get back!
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2007 7:46:59 PM
Author: TravelingGal
39.gif
HI:

I am pretty much in the jealousy camp too--make sure you post lots of pics!

cheers--Sharon

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 9:41:25 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 10/29/2007 7:46:59 PM
Author: TravelingGal
39.gif
HI:

I am pretty much in the jealousy camp too--make sure you post lots of pics!

cheers--Sharon
me three! The beach looks lovely and all the amazing sites!

sagewren

Rough_Rock
Wow!
1.gif

Definitely looking forward to your travel tales. Have a safe journey!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results