shape
carat
color
clarity

My "temporary" 3.37 -- yes, I did it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I decided that I would rather look at a slightly smaller round that I ultimately want while my jeweler goes hunting for a bigger stone rather than sit here and let my oval bug me any longer.

Here’s my “temporary” 3.37 H SI1, which is just residing in my old setting waiting for it’s big sister to materialize, and then I will work on a permanent setting (bet you all can’t wait to go down that road with neurotic ol’ me, LOL!).

And it’s amazing how much stress gets lifted off your shoulders when you’re only picking out a “temporary” diamond! Is it big enough? No, but it’s OK and the next one will be along shortly. It’s only a .6 on the HCA—am I suffering from a lack of contrast? Maybe, but I’m either too blind or too stupid to know it. It is set too high in relation to the side stones? Yep, but it’s only temporary, let it go...

Without further ado, here are some pics. No spectacular flower shots or anything marvelous like that—saving all that for when the “right” stone comes along. But in the mean time here’s a little “temporary” eye candy.

image0001.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness - it''s EXQUISITE! Are you SURE it isn''t big enough? I think it is perfect, but I can understand if you want larger, but that diamond is PURTY! YUM YUM!
18.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is so nice! What are the specs? What is it you are looking for to replace it? Now that the oval is gone, what are your thoughts? Sure looks nice to me though...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another:

image0001A.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With my eternity band

image0002A.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another w/ eternity band

image0003A.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A third...

image0005A.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow DJ that thing is a monster!!! girl i can't believe you don't think that is large enough! what size is your finger again?

i also love it in the 'temporary setting', it looks perfect to me. and with that eternity band? be still my heart!! i am not an oval fan so i like this set WAY better than your old one, big time!!!!! yum.

oh and clean that diamond before any more picture shots, missy!!! the bigger the stone the dirtier it gets, a total pet peeve of mine now. yikes!

as for the whole loss of contrast thing, if your eyes don't see it then it could be non-existent. that sure looks purty to me!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With my regular wedding band

image0007A.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another w/ wedding band

image0008A.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More...

image00022.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG it''s huge!!!! You still want a bigger stone?? I''m confused, hehe.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I went a little crazy...

image00023.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the sun

image00025.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one!

image00026.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh yeah and what''s your finger size DJ!?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew -- what I lack in photo quality I certainly just made up for in quantity!!!

Here are the specs again:

3.37 ct
GIA certed
H color
SI1 (completely eye clean)
9.65 X 9.70 X 5.91
61.1% depth
56% table
35 crown angle
15.5% crown height
40.4 pavilion angle
42.5% pavilion depth
55% star length
85% lower half
girdle thin to medium, faceted
culet none
EX polish
EX symmetry
Fluor. none

I freaked out for a while that it only scored a .6 on the HCA but then I (obsessively) read every thread I could and came to the conclusion that the shallow pavilion angle was compensated for by the high crown angle, and that the long lgf's would also help with any potential lack of contrast, not to mention I "visited" the stone 3 times before I committed to it even temporarily. So here it is. And I may not even have it that long, depending on when the jeweler locates me a 4(ish) one, and then I can get it set permanently and GET ON WITH MY LIFE!!!

As for the size... the problem is that my oval (which was only 3.02) looked so much bigger because of the elongation that I feel like I need about a 4 ct round to appear as big to me. (Dammit!) But no, I have to admit, this thing is not exactly *small*.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finger size 4.75 (really a 4.5, or maybe even smaller) but I don't like my rings tight at all.

Eternity band is 4.9 total cts. (14 stones, each .34-.36)

cecgirl

Rough_Rock
that''s BEAUTIFUL!!! *drool*

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, honey, I'm going to repeat what everyone else has said...that is GORGEOUS and HUGE
30.gif
and WHY would you even think you'd want a diamond larger than that one???
6.gif

ETA: Thanks for posting the pics, though! When my 1.63 comes on Wed., I am looking at your pictures so I'll believe my 1.6 is small enough for me.
2.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
holy hearts and arrows!!! that sucker is fabulous! you''ve got a gorgeous temp ring& stones!

genette

Shiny_Rock
WOW
emsmilep.gif
That sucker is huge. It looks like it weighs down your finger. Nevertheless, it is a nice stone.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Wow wow wow!
21.gif
That thing''s a beaut! Now, I am not clued into the story about why you traded in your oval. Why didn''t you like it?

As a sidenote, I love that second thinner wedding band. May I ask where you got it, or was it custom-made?

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
32.gif
6.gif
23.gif
32.gif
WOW!! If this is only a temp? I can''t even begin to immagine when you get the 4ct or so you want!! I like it w/ the HUGE eternity band!!! WOW Lucky you!!!! Congrats!! BEAUTIFUL
36.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the nice comments! It really is a lovely stone (I can''t belive how WHITE this things is!) and it sparkles like mad, so I won''t mind at all keeping it until Big Sister comes along!

Lizz, here''s the oval problem in a nutshell: The faceting in an oval is not perfectly symmetrical (and how could it be given that it''s not a round, LOL!) and it bothered me to no end. After six months with the oval I would rather wear NO diamond than THAT diamond, so I had to switch it out.

My original wedding band is an estate piece that we picked up cheap cheap cheap! I had a hard time with a band fitting with my original e-ring (it was a pear and nothing sat flush against the e-ring) but this is so flat that even though it wasn''t perfectly flush it was damn close. I liked it with my previous oval and with this ring too, so that''s probably what I''ll wear on an every day basis. Amazing how sometimes the simplest inexpensive pieces are the very best ones!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
now that''s my kind of "temp" stone
30.gif
.. yay for you for getting something NOW to wear in the meantime. enjoy it, it''s beautiful and HUGE..

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! Congrats!!! That is an amazing stone and looks gorgeous in your setting!!! It''s HUGE, HUGE, HUGE!!!!!!!!! And the specs look great. Not a bad temporary stone at all.

Personally, I really like your wedding band with it better than the shared prong. I actually think I like it best alone, but your wedding band is beautiful and doesn''t compete with the ring.

I know what you''re saying, too, about being happier wearing no diamond than a diamond that you don''t feel good about!!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
wow- that''s a big one Dee*Jay
Nice choice. It looks right at home in the setting.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Yep...I''m with Demelza....I think it looks best with your wedding band.

That baby just demands centre stage. I was suprised that you only have a 4.75 finger. You can definitely carry off that size of stone.

Ever heard the phrase, "the futures so bright I gotta were shades" boy do you need shades with that gorgeous rock!

I''m turning green with envy
21.gif

Enjoy it...even though it''s temporary!

Blod

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! It''s huge, and it looks great with your eternity band!! Your new stone will be great too...I can''t wait to see that one!!
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results