shape
carat
color
clarity

My stomach is in knots...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
I feel absolutely horrible right now. On July 4th, I faxed in my resume to an office. A few days later I had my interview. That same evening the hiring manager called me to offer me the job. I immediately accepted (which I now know was a mistake). The very next day, I put in my 2 week notice at my current employer.

My manager has been talking to me throughout the 2wks to reconsider staying. Of course, I thought about it... At the last minute (yesterday), the Dr. I work for and my manager pulled me aside, and basically gave me an offer I could not refuse (although I did NOT promise I was staying as I didn't want to get myself in another pickle). They were able to offer me the schedule that I want and more money than the new place is going to pay.

Long story short, I'm supposed to start at the new office TODAY! I've never in my life had to tell someone I won't be able to take the job on the day I am to start. I'm terrified and feel absolutely awful right now.

At this point, it would almost be easier on me to just start at the new office so I don't have to do this. I know that's silly to just avoid having to make a phone call.

My manager tried to assure me that the other office has to know that they would counteroffer. But I'm sure they are not expecting this AT THE LAST MINUTE!! I just feel like this wasn't fair to keep them waiting nor was it fair to the other applicants that she turned down to hire me.

I just feel completely awful.
15.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just bite the bullet and get it over with. I know that it''s horrible having to do it, but if you''re going to stay put in your current job, then tell them asap. Best of luck!!!

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
I know, I know. I''ve already tried calling, no answer.

Thanks.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re not the first person to do that -- they really won''t take it personally. I think you feel like more of a jerk than they feel offended.

I''m afraid of calling people in general, so I totally understand your fear of calling.

Deep breaths! Let us know how it goes!

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 8:20:51 AM
Author: elledizzy5
You''re not the first person to do that -- they really won''t take it personally. I think you feel like more of a jerk than they feel offended.

I''m afraid of calling people in general, so I totally understand your fear of calling.

I HATE the phone..I really do. Heck, I make BF call to order pizza/chinese.

I''m sure you''re right. Thank you for calming me down a bit.
1.gif

I''m hoping I can get a hold of them in the next few minutes. It''ll be a huge relief when it''s finally over.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 8:24:16 AM
Author: lisamarie84

1.gif

I''m hoping I can get a hold of them in the next few minutes. It''ll be a huge relief when it''s finally over.

Umm, yeah, I''ll drive 20 minutes to talk to someone in person, just so I don''t have to call. It''s something I''ve been working on FOREVER. Now I''m comfortable only calling ONE pizza place.... but I''m getting there.
2.gif

It''s probably more the anticipation than anything. I am like frozen with fear over calling places, but once I''m on the phone it''s fine.

It''s almost over!!

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 8:29:59 AM

Umm, yeah, I'll drive 20 minutes to talk to someone in person, just so I don't have to call. It's something I've been working on FOREVER. Now I'm comfortable only calling ONE pizza place.... but I'm getting there.
2.gif

It's probably more the anticipation than anything. I am like frozen with fear over calling places, but once I'm on the phone it's fine.

It's almost over!!

I thought about going in at 9 (when I'm supposed to start) and talking to her face to face, but I'm not sure that'll make it any better for them or any easier for me. Oh well..

I've called 4 times in the past 40 minutes. I'm beginning to feel like a stalker. I hope she gets there soon and answers the darn phone!!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sending thoughts your way! I hate the phone too, but you''ll feel SOOO much better when it''s over!

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 8:51:48 AM
Author: phoenixgirl
Sending thoughts your way! I hate the phone too, but you'll feel SOOO much better when it's over!

Thank you so much
1.gif
I sure hope so!!

They're opening in 4 minutes and still have yet to answer the phone. I guess they'll find out at 9 then...

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
So they FINALLY answer...and she''s not there yet. I feel like this is going to go on forever.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 8:24:16 AM

1.gif

Umm, yeah, I''ll drive 20 minutes to talk to someone in person, just so I don''t have to call. It''s something I''ve been working on FOREVER. Now I''m comfortable only calling ONE pizza place.... but I''m getting there.
2.gif

It''s probably more the anticipation than anything. I am like frozen with fear over calling places, but once I''m on the phone it''s fine.

It''s almost over!!

Wow, I thought I was the only person who felt this abnormal fear of calling people! I''m sorry you have to keep trying to get ahold of them, good luck, and just remember, after today, you will probably never have to talk to them again!

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 9:16:00 AM
Author: Sabine

Wow, I thought I was the only person who felt this abnormal fear of calling people! I'm sorry you have to keep trying to get ahold of them, good luck, and just remember, after today, you will probably never have to talk to them again!

No, Sabine, you are not alone!! My BF thinks it's really strange that I won't call people.

I left a message with the receptionist to have her call me back when she gets in. I'm assuming she'll figure out what's going on. Not sure if that's going to work in my favor or if it'll give her time to get angry before I get to talk to her.
32.gif

But you are right, at least I won't have to talk to them after this. I just hope I'm making the right decision.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh that is a tough call to make! Good luck, and good for you for being such a valuable employee that people are making you offers you can''t refuse!
3.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 9:26:59 AM

Date: 7/25/2008 9:16:00 AM
Author: Sabine

Wow, I thought I was the only person who felt this abnormal fear of calling people! I''m sorry you have to keep trying to get ahold of them, good luck, and just remember, after today, you will probably never have to talk to them again!

No, Sabine, you are not alone!! My BF thinks it''s really strange that I won''t call people.

I left a message with the receptionist to have her call me back when she gets in. I''m assuming she''ll figure out what''s going on. Not sure if that''s going to work in my favor or if it''ll give her time to get angry before I get to talk to her.
32.gif

But you are right, at least I won''t have to talk to them after this. I just hope I''m making the right decision.

Honestly, I know QUITE a few women (including myself) who have this irrational fear. I wonder where it stems from?

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 9:36:18 AM
Author: thing2of2
Oooh that is a tough call to make! Good luck, and good for you for being such a valuable employee that people are making you offers you can''t refuse!
3.gif

Well, I could have refused it. In fact, I did decline their first offer. They offered me a lot more money, but the same crappy schedule. I like the people I work with and like what I do, but the schedule was getting tiresome. So this time around not only did they offer me better pay, but also the schedule that I wanted. I''m just hoping it''s not going to start controversy with another employee (since she had asked for a similar schedule before and it was not given to her).

I only wish I didn''t take me (almost)quitting for them to make that offer! The Dr. literally got down on his hands and knees to ask me to stay (not in a desperate/weird way). It was quite amusing..

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
The hiring manager finally called me back a little while ago. The phone call consisted mostly of "uh huh"s on her part. It made me feel like crap, but at least it''s over with.

Thanks everyone for walking me through this. I really appreciate it. Hopefully, I can enjoy my 3-day weekend now.
1.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2008 10:29:41 AM
The hiring manager finally called me back a little while ago. The phone call consisted mostly of ''uh huh''s on her part. It made me feel like crap, but at least it''s over with.

Thanks everyone for walking me through this. I really appreciate it. Hopefully, I can enjoy my 3-day weekend now.
1.gif

Yay! I knew it wouldn''t be pleasant, but you have to do what you have to do. You have no loyalty to the new person, and what they offered wasnt as good as the offer your current employer gave you, obviously you would choose the better offer.

Enjoy your 3-day weekend!! Lucky!!
29.gif
2.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoy your weekend and be proud of yourself.You are in great demand and everyone wants you.Glad its over and glad you got what you wanted.Enjoy your weekend.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoy your weekend and be proud of yourself.You are in great demand and everyone wants you.Glad its over and glad you got what you wanted.Enjoy your weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results