shape
carat
color
clarity

My spinel arrived! Get ready for lots of pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
My spinel arrived today. It only took a week which is pretty good considering it had so far to travel. The stone is a nice size. I wouldn''t say hot pink comes to mind when looking at it though. I see more of a reddish pink and it changes a little depending on the light. Bubble gum in some situations more of a berry in others. It does glow under UV light. Though I wasn''t able to capture it. It has extinction but I think I''m actually willing to live with it. Usually it''s a deal breaker for me. But these pink spinels seem to be hard to come by these days. And set it may not be as obvious.

spinel-p1.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
another.

spinel-03.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
UV light

spinel-04.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It does not out shine my other spinels.

spinel-p06.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
With a key pendant I made ( Julia told me how). See the tiny ruby at the bottom!

spinel-p6.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yet another!

spinel-p7.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
One more!

onemore09.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Oh you got it!!!! Looks pretty, but how are you feeling about it?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. It is pretty and a little different than what I was expecting. I was expecting it to look a little more like the vendor pic which I posted a week ago. And that was a hot pink color and showed no extinction. I do find it beautiful. It will most likely be a keeper. But I am a hard person to please when it comes to gems.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oh and one thing thats frustrating ( with photo taking ) is it seems to look slightly purple in photos. Weird.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 6:56:11 PM
Author: innerkitten
Thanks. It is pretty and a little different than what I was expecting. I was expecting it to look a little more like the vendor pic which I posted a week ago. And that was a hot pink color and showed no extinction. I do find it beautiful. It will most likely be a keeper. But I am a hard person to please when it comes to gems.

It looks really pretty, and very pink when you put it next to your other stones. It sounds like these spinels might be "sleeper" than others, and that may describe the fact it dons't sparkle like your other stones, but yours looks really clean and transparent which is nice. But I can understand being hard to please.

I have bought from Eric in the past, and I will say his photos are not always the best at capturing color (in my last purchase the real color was better than the photos). When I asked about mine he said that it is not quite as "bright" as the photo. That is why I asked for the second shot. It still looked pretty bright to me.

From what I can see, it is a beautiful stone, a nice shape, color and size. I wonder if the extinction issues will improve with the right setting? I am having a hard time noticing the extinction.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ltlfirecracker. Tomorrow I''m going to take some outdoor pics. I want to see how it does in sunlight.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IK,
Very pretty stone, and nice work on that key!! Looking forward to more pics!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL! That key pendant took me forever. It was a good learning experience.

Sorry I keep posting pics. This is my last indoor shot till I get outdoor photos. I promise. I guess I''m just excited about it right now.

indoorshot81.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2010 10:05:26 PM
Author: innerkitten
Thanks TL! That key pendant took me forever. It was a good learning experience.

Sorry I keep posting pics. This is my last indoor shot till I get outdoor photos. I promise. I guess I''m just excited about it right now.
You should never have to apologize for THAT!!
2.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
it''s pretty
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s a lovely stone and really looks...fruity!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By all means, keep posting more pictures. Have you had a chance to view it outdoors yet? You mentioned that it does not outshine your other spinels. Do you mean that it isn’t more sparkly or that the colour does not pop out more than the rest? I would be rather disappointed if I was expecting to receive a hot pink spinel and instead received a regular looking pink spinel. Perhaps once under the sun, with the fluorescence kicking in, the hot pink colour will manifest?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Pretty stone.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely color!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IK,
I know I said it's pretty above, but were you expecting a more hot pink color? For a pink spinel, it is very nice, but if it isn't the hot pink you were expecting, you might want to reconsider it. Eric is a very kind and understanding man, so perhaps talk to him. I wouldn't normally say anything unless someone asked for my opinion, but reading some of your comments, I hear a slight ting of disappointment. I could very well be wrong, but I just want to make sure.
2.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone. Fruity, I agree. You said "the key pendant I made" - did you make it yourself?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yes when I say it does not out shine them. I mean that sitting with the others it doesn''t necessarily look like the most beautiful stone of the bunch. It''s as pretty as the others. But it is a really pretty stone. Just a little different than I had expected. Outdoors it does pick up some punch and shows tiny points of red sparkle ( my windowed pad spinel does that too) but I wasn''t able to get a decent photo this morning. My camera either blurred or made weird shadows. I''ll try again.

I don''t have anything to compare it too as far as Mahenge spinels go either. But the description said "superb".

It''s hard being such a picky person.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yes I did make the key pendant myself. I''ve been taking a jewelry making class for a little while. I''ll have to post a photo of it in the show me your key pendants section. I had wanted to flush set the little ruby on the front but I just couldn''t get it right so I set it as a hidden stone at the bottom.

So as far as keeping the stone goes I am feeling kind of attached to it. I remember when I got my rhodolite I knew right away that it just wasn''t going to work out for me at all. It was just so dark and I got a malaya garnet instead which I looove.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IN,
It isn’t necessarily a bad thing to be picky because at least you know exactly what you are looking for. Have you emailed Eric about your ambivalence? I would expect a Mahenge spinel to stand out among a group of “regular” pink spinels, especially one that was described as superb.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I understand what your saying. I''m undecided but leaning in favor of it. I did email to say thank you and I told him I really liked it but that I had expected a slightly different color. Which is all true.

I tried to get outdoor sun pics but the sun very weak. So here are a couple of outdoor shots under the back stairs. I guess this would be indirect sun light. You can see it starts to pick up more glow

outside19.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
again. See the red pin point sparkles starting to show.

outside 30.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thats my little Burmese spinel next to it. It''s only .90 . But it''s always been my favorite pink gemstones. And I''ve always hoped to get another stone the same color but larger. It''s pretty close in color. A little lighter than the new one.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks really pretty with the red pin point sparkles! (hope you find peace of mind soonhttps://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/21.gif)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a pretty color, and hey-good job on the key IK!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results