shape
carat
color
clarity

My sapphire e-ring journey... (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adams828

Rough_Rock
First off, I have to say a big thank you to everyone on the PS forums - I have learned a LOT (probably more than I wanted to) and gotten some great advice! Also thanks to Jeff White, Brian and Lesley from BGD and Richard Sherwood - all incredibly patient, helpful, and fantastic to do business with!

Where to begin? Well it all started around April/May. The GF had expressed interest in both diamonds and sapphire (her birthstone) - but not much detail otherwise. I decided that a sapphire would be more meaningful and also more unique, so thus it began.

Thankfully I think I can do a halfway decent job of knowing what types of jewelry are her style (hey, halfway on this is pretty good for a guy!), so I started looking around.Of course she loves Tiffany''s (although she knows I don''t like them since I think $200 for a sterling silver ring is a joke), so I looked their website for some ideas. At that time (BP = before pricescope), I had made a few purchases from BlueNile. So I took a look at their sapphire rings, and thought that the prices seemed decent, but somehow the sapphire color just wasn''t "it". Further research led to Angara, which again - same thing as BlueNile. It just seemed like the same "flat" (for lack of better words) blue that even Macy''s had for cheap $$.

It was about that time that I started reading about unheated sapphires.. which of course opened up even more to research! After a ton of reading online, I discovered The Natural Sapphire Company and Wildfish Gems. At that point I made up my mind that I wanted an unheated sapphire. But hours of browsing the selections let me frustrated - the colors were great, but I just couldn''t get past some of the cuts. While possibly not the right rationale (at least at the time), I felt like some of the cuts were (to sum it up): sloppy looking. So on went the search.

At some point, through some link, somehow (I am a serious internet researcher, I often will have 10 browser windows open, and end up on sites that nobody can believe I found..) I found Pricescope. And thus began the obsession with a precision cut sapphire. I literally went through hundreds of old pages, looking through pages of old threads and pictures. Talk about overwhelming - who is this company? What does this acronym stand for? Who is this Gene guy?!?!

So at this point, it was already into July when I finally felt like I knew what I was looking for. I sent a few emails out to some of the PS "regular cutters" with my thoughts and details. As many of you know, finding the right one can take a long time! During this time I (through various posts) decided that Brian Gavin (and Lesley) would be perfect to design a custom setting for the ring. I sent off an email and had a few chats, but ultimately everything had to wait for the stone. A few sapphires came and went, either only fit for oval cuts, too light, too dark, and so on. Eventually almost 2 months later, Jeff (White) came back saying he found something that he thought would be a fit.

Again another waiting game.. finally at the beginning of October Jeff was done! I could hardly wait to see the picture from Jeff, and even less so to actually see the sapphire! Then I realized - having the unset sapphire appraised was probably the right thing to do. Richard Sherwood was highly recommended on PS, so that would be great. But.. then I would have to get the sapphire shipped to me (Washington DC), send it off to Richard in FL, back to me, then off to TX and BGD! To be honest, at this point I think I was maybe a bit in over my head, and just wanting the final ring to hurry up and get here! So I gulped, and made a big decision: the sapphire would go directly to Richard for appraisal, then straight off to BGD.

So that is where I am at today.. the sapphire is with BGD, they are working on CADs (which I am being very impatient to see
7.gif
), and I still haven''t seen my sapphire in person. Luckily, there are a few pics for now..

adams828

Rough_Rock
Photo from Jeff

Sapphire2468aa1z.jpg

adams828

Rough_Rock
BGD Photo 1

BrianGavin_AB-Sapphire1_102809.jpg

adams828

Rough_Rock
BGD Photo 2

BrianGavin_AB-Sapphire2_100709a.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my. I don''t think you have anything to worry about, with not seeing that stone in real life. I think it will be a stunner. What are the specs on it? And what ring style?

Congratulations! I ended up doing all of the research on my ering stone, and I''m glad I did, because otherwise I may not be engaged with my dream stone! I can''t wait to see the final ring!

Oh, and does your GF know it''s coming?

adams828

Rough_Rock
Thanks Freke - I know I shouldn''t be worried (and am not really) but of course just a little bit..

It is a 1.4 ct square cushion, unheated Sri Lankan.

For the ring style, unfortunately I am a terrible drawer. Fortunately, I am decent at Photoshop! I pulled an old CAD of the "Novela" from BGD''s blog, and did a tweak to the left side (see pic) to give them an idea of what I am looking for. I think some metal will need to be added, but we''ll see!

She has no idea about the ring (sapphire or otherwise..)

Mockup2.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My G
30.gif
30.gif
DNESS! That is STUNNING!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Stone!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
WOWZERS! I cannot wait to see this, it''s going to be stunning!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! It''s so sweet of you to put so much effort and research into making this the perfect ering!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dig it! I like the idea of less metal on the side--I think that will be gorgeous! You will have to post more pictures when you hear back from BGD!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
adams, I think that stone is stunning! It will make an amazing ring, and Brian is certainly a master and pulling off exactly what you want. It''s so sweet that you''re going through so much effort to get your lady the perfect ring!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous sapphire!! I can''t wait to see the finished ring.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
the stone is beautiful and I think it will look great in that style ring. Congratulations and keep us updated with the CAD''s when you get them!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh gorgeous!!!!
36.gif
congrats on that beauty- That has to be the most perfect cushion ever!! gotta love Jeff White- what a gem of a guy!

I think the ring will turn out fabulously. word of caution though- I''m pretty sure that sapp could knock anyone off their feet, so I''d sit down for the first time seeing it if I were you, lol
2.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that stone looks very very nice. I''m sure it will be a stunner in that setting. Come back and share more photos when you get them.
9.gif

adams828

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks everyone for the kind words - I do feel much better now about not seeing the stone yet! Just replied to a few questions from Lesley so hopefully CAD is close.. =)

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just Gorgeous! Can''t wait to see the final results!! Please post lots of pics!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Your future fiancee is a lucky, lucky lady!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing your story so far Adams!

You already know I love your gorgeous stone, I can''t wait to see what you and Brian dream up for the ring, it''s going to be such a fantastic surprise for your girl, very sweet!
36.gif

Just one Q if I may (although I assume I already know part of the answer) - did Rich confirm everything you wanted to hear about your stone?
I trust Jeff, and also do not posess much virtue in the way of patience
2.gif
so I decided to skip the appraisal/certification step.
hence I would just be curious about what Richard had to say on your JW sapph (if you care to share).?

Keep us updated on the progress!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW. What a lucky girl you have. Congrats on finding such an exquisite stone, the colour is to die for. Great job!!!
30.gif
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire is gorgeous and the cutting makes it extra special. With the setting you have chosen, I can''t imagine anyone not falling in love with it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my that is going to be gooorgeous!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Aw, beautiful stone and some lovely sentiments behind it! Congrats!

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
A precision cut sapphire like yours is definitely engagement-ring-worthy! It is goreous and will be spectacular when set with the diamonds! Good luck!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful stone! I''m sure you girlfriend will be thrilled to receive an engagement ring like the one you''re creating.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results