shape
carat
color
clarity

My Promise Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Queenofhearts

Rough_Rock
While just google searching the net by just entering words to see where it would take me I came across this and I felt I must share.

While the concept of promise rings may seem like something new and original, mythology and sacred writings tell us otherwise.  In fact, rings have been used to seal promises since the beginning of time.  In ancient days, Bishops wore rings as a pledge of their spiritual union with the church.  And dignitaries in Venice, Italy, once the maritime power of the world, renewed this city's "marriage promise" with the Adriatic Sea by tossing a ring into the turquoise waters on Ascension morning each year. 

Although they may not have been called promise rings, it became popular during the 16th and 17th centuries in Europe to exchange rings as a token of  love or friendship.  One such ring was the "scribbling ring," which was set with uncut diamond crystals.  Lovers used the exposed points of the diamond to etch romantic vows into windowpanes. 

Another common type of ring was called a "poesy ring."  These rings were engraved bands with various promises or sentiments and given to a lover or dear friend.  A typical pledge of love and fidelity might read, "Vous et nul autre" -- old French which translates to "You and no other." 

Promise Ring Etiquette
The most important rule in giving a promise ring is to be up-front about the terms of the promise, especially if the ring contains a diamond.  There is nothing more heartbreaking than a person reading something into a gift of a ring that is more than intended!  A simple note accompanying the ring, to be read prior to opening the gift, can clarify your sentiments.
read.gif

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 10/8/2004 11:46:10 PM Queenofhearts wrote:

Now would it be wrong to give the male love of your life a promise ring as a symbol of the love and commitment that you have for him.

----------------
I don't think it could ever be considered as "wrong," this is all just a matter of personal preference, as is many of the things discussed/purchased on this forum. I gave my boyfriend a promise ring and he never takes it off - though I am sure there are some men out there who would not feel comfortable with wearing one. So it really just depends on the couple.

mareray

Rough_Rock
I've got a question. If I were to give my boyfriend a promise ring, would he wear it on his right or left hand? I wear my promise ring on my left hand. The problem is that he likes simple rings (bands), and if he wore it on his left hand I would imagine people would mistake the promise ring as a wedding band.
rolleyes.gif

Right now he doesn't wear any rings... only a watch and an occasional necklace. I did buy him a Tahitian pearl on a braided leather rope which he wears on special occasions.
1.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
If I were to get my b/f a p-ring, I'd get him one of these, probably so he can wear it on his left hand, but middle finger, so there's really no confusing it with a traditional wedding band. He really likes Celtic lore and knots.
1.gif

sr_ortak_R132.jpg

sr_ortak_R187.jpg

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I know some guys who are engaged, or not even engaged who wear a band on thier left finger.. just because. I don't think its that weird to wear a band on the left finger even if one is not married. And besides.. not that girls thinking he is married would be a BAD thing
2.gif

Melissa

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/11/2004 4:23:16 PM MelissaSue wrote:

And besides.. not that girls thinking he is married would be a BAD thing
2.gif

Melissa----------------

Oooooohhh!! Hadn't thought of that one!
2.gif
And it might be nice to have some of the "OMG!! Are you engaged!?!? Oh...never mind..." passed onto him for a while...
11.gif
9.gif

mareray

Rough_Rock
haha... you know, my boyfriend's birthday is this Sunday
naughty.gif
11.gif

Those rings are really nice!

Mary

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results