shape
carat
color
clarity

My Product Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
So...
Today I was typing up my mass e-mail for my support staff about what they need to replenish in their kits, and what products I would be accepting reciepts for, and I thought it would be fun to share our "secret stash" with all of you PS ladies. These are things that I have used for years and stand behind 100% and hope that maybe will give one or two of you some fun ideas! Consider it a small thank you to all the kind advice I''ve ever recieved on this site. And of course, I''ll be happy to answer any and all questions about any products listed below...or anything else you may want an honest professional opinion on...

Must Haves

Neosporin
(sp?)
This product is amazing to use on chapped lips--esspecially in a pinch. Unlike chapstick, your lips do not develope immunity to it. It will heal you lips in a day or two, much faster than traditional chapstick, and creates a really strong barrier between you and the elements. There is a "pain reliever" one too, which is great for split lips or painful chapping above the lip as well. A little dab will do ya, so the tube will last a good long while.
Drugstore:
Preparation H
Great for under eye bags or swelling. Not designed for long term use, but great in a pinch. The chemicals in the product help to soothe and reduce swelling for upto 8 hours. Be very very very careful when applying to avoid your eye lashes and actual eye...application process goes smoothest when applied using a q-tip. A little dab will do you, so a tube can last you up to 7 months if used sparringly. Be sure to pay close attention to expiration date.
Drugstore:
Prevage MD and Prevage for the eyes
Ultimate botox in a bottle. Smooth over skin after the shower like a normal moisturizer. Contains Idebenone, which is a incredibly powerful topical. Helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles. My staff and I use this often on MOB and MOG at wedding to help give a youthful, fresh appreance.
Cosmetic Surgeon - Elizabeth Arden/Mario Tricoci - Department Stores: >$100.00

Paula Dorf Eye Primer
My all time favorite primer. Great for wiping out natural eyelid color--this is important, because natural lid color can influence the way shadow actually looks on your eye. Also creates a glue-like finish for all day wear of shadow color without fading or rubbing off. This product can also be used to fill in line around the mouth to prevent lipstick from crawling.
PaulaDorf.com: around 20.00

Paula Dorf Makeup Brushes
I have used these brushes from the start of my career and wouldn''t ever dream of using another brand. The brushes are extremely soft to touch for a comfortable application, however dense enough to create a smooth application as well. PD offers a wide variety of specialized brushes, so even someone who otherwise doesn''t feel comfortable doing makeup can have the right size brush for the job. The brushes hold their shape well, and do a good job of not showing their age...I have brushes that I use very frequently for over 5 years now with no need to replace them.
PaulaDorf.com: varies

Nars Multiple Stick
Super fun product. Great for eyes, cheeks, lips and coupled with a moisturizer makes for a great all over body product, too. My favorite shade is South Beach, it looks awesome on every skin tone. I use it mostly on the cheeks to give a flushed/glowing look that brides go gaga for. However, they have many shades and tones from a very pale oyster to a deep coco brown. South Beach, for example, you can be more liberal with on the cheek area...however, because it is a mica based product, avoiding to much on the nose, chin and forehead are advised.
Sephora - Nars.com - Bloomingdales: around 32.00

Chi Flat Iron
Ceramic plates deliver nice even heat. Warms up quickly, and professional model doesn''t have temp control so you get a nice even heat every time. Comes with a detailed warranty. Great for every hair type and texture. I''ve owned my personal Chi now for 8 years, since beauty school when I discovered the brand, and have never had a problem. I''ve only replaced my professional Chi once in 8 years---and it was covered by my warranty.
Various Locations - >100.00

Shu Uemura Eye Lash Curler
Each curler is handmade, so the actual curl bar is designed not to pull on the lashes at all. Comes with replacement rubber liners. I''ve owned my personal curler, replacing only the liners, for 5 years now...professional curler, I replace the actual curler yearly, and the liner with every client.
Sephora - around 20.00

Shu Uemure Mascara
Amazing mascara. Great for layering day to night. Does not clump, flake or get "goopy". The black is very rich, and the brown is very warm. Hands down the best mascara ever. Comes in waterproof and regular.
Sephora - around 20.00

Custom Blend Foundation
I insist that my MUA carry custom blend foundations and powders. If this is something that interests you, many salon/day spas offer this service. I can explain how to custom blend your own, if anyone is interested...
Cost Varies

Ummm...I think that''s it for right now, I''ll review my kit later on to be sure....

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great list. The only thing I would have to say is that Neosporin is an antibiotic, and I don''t believe in using antibiotics willy-nilly. I would suggest Aquaphor.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, thanks for the ideas. Gives me good reason to hit Sephora ;-)

I do have a question about using different products on your face.

My best friend was visiting her MIL at the nursing home. There was a lovely
older woman sitting next to them in the living area. My friend started talking
to her and complimented her on her beautiful skin. Even though this woman
was in her 70''s, her skin was flawless and looked like a buby''s butt, according
to my friend. She told my friend she used Hydrogen Peroxide to clean her face
and then moisturized with Campho-Phenique !! Whoa!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 7:09:14 PM
Author: JulieN
Great list. The only thing I would have to say is that Neosporin is an antibiotic, and I don''t believe in using antibiotics willy-nilly. I would suggest Aquaphor.
I think using Neo as a treatment for broken lips isn''t exactly willy nilly. It is a way of treating the symptom...which is the point of an antibotic. I find brides esspecially appreciate it

Aquaphor doesn''t have the same healing power, IMO. But, for anyone afraid of using Neo, it''s an okay alternative.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 7:13:28 PM
Author: bebe
Oooh, thanks for the ideas. Gives me good reason to hit Sephora ;-)

I do have a question about using different products on your face.

My best friend was visiting her MIL at the nursing home. There was a lovely
older woman sitting next to them in the living area. My friend started talking
to her and complimented her on her beautiful skin. Even though this woman
was in her 70''s, her skin was flawless and looked like a buby''s butt, according
to my friend. She told my friend she used Hydrogen Peroxide to clean her face
and then moisturized with Campho-Phenique !! Whoa!!
I have never heard of using either of those products, so I cannot really speak for them.

However, its important to remember that everyone has different skin...the lady may just be one of the few lucky ladies who age extremely gracefully and while she may credit those products for her beautiful skin, it may just be her fantastic genetics.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and another great trick...

Use Vaporub on your feet to keep them baby soft and smooth. Something about the menthol really heals roughed up soles.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need that but doesn''t vapo rub stink? It makes me kind of nauseous.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
what about other hair product recommendations?

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Italianhair colour. I
30.gif
this thread. My son has jsut started on Roaccutane is getting cracks in his lips that chap stick cant handle.
Off to strawberrynet to order the Paula Dorf primer ase well
36.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan, Buy the stick, so you dont have to touch it and can put it directly where you need it...use a decent amount, because the socks wil absorb a decent amount...and put a pair of white socks on immediately. I dont know if the socks will completely mask the scent, but it should help a little bit... Doing this daily for about 2 weeks, give or take, will make a HUGE difference in your feet. You wont smell it much, and it works really well.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 8:39:15 PM
Author: Miscka
what about other hair product recommendations?
What type of hair issues are you having? If I know that, I can certainly recommend something.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 9:56:11 PM
Author: katebar
Thanks Italianhair colour. I
30.gif
this thread. My son has jsut started on Roaccutane is getting cracks in his lips that chap stick cant handle.
Off to strawberrynet to order the Paula Dorf primer ase well
36.gif
Glad I can help, just make sure he doesn''t "lick" his lips after applying it. Once its on his lips, it will work best if his lips stay nice and dry...please, neo isn''t good or healthy to "eat"
28.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 8:38:54 PM
Author: diamondfan

Me too. Years ago I put some on (Not my feet) before bed & wound up waking up in the niddle of the night feeling nauseous & eventually puking from the smell. That was the last time I ever used it.

I dont know if IHC is referring to the same product but Neosporin has a lip treatment (No antibiotics). I''ve never used it but if my lips are dry/cracked/bleeding I use regular neosporin.

I have a Sedu flat iron & I love it. I see now they have one that is beveled so it can be used to curl hair. I wouldnt mind having a Paul Mitchell iron. If mine ever breaks I think I will get one.

niccia

Shiny_Rock
I second the Sedu flat iron...I have used almost every brand and also really like the Hai and Chi irons, but the Sedu is by far my favorite.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 10:24:40 PM
Author: VegasAngel

Me too. Years ago I put some on (Not my feet) before bed & wound up waking up in the niddle of the night feeling nauseous & eventually puking from the smell. That was the last time I ever used it.

I dont know if IHC is referring to the same product but Neosporin has a lip treatment (No antibiotics). I''ve never used it but if my lips are dry/cracked/bleeding I use regular neosporin.

I have a Sedu flat iron & I love it. I see now they have one that is beveled so it can be used to curl hair. I wouldnt mind having a Paul Mitchell iron. If mine ever breaks I think I will get one.
Nope, not referring to the lip treatment...good old fashion Neo with a pain treatment too. Works everytime!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 10:38:09 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

Date: 9/29/2008 10:24:40 PM
Author: VegasAngel

Nope, not referring to the lip treatment...good old fashion Neo with a pain treatment too. Works everytime!
I put Neo on right before bed when my lips are really bad & they are a much better in the morning. I like to use Olive oil too on my lips,feet, skin etc.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Italia, my hair has lots of issues!
2.gif
3.gif

What kind of hairspray is your favorite?

Also, the under part of my hair REALLY wants to be curly. It drives me nuts! Even if I dont blowdry it, and I put mousse in it, it just ends up a ball of frizz under there, while the top part is smooth and pretty, with just a touch of wave. What should I do? A friend said use a curl-enhancing gel, should I just put it on the underneath? Any chance the rest of my hair will catch up?

Thanks for this thread! I am totally going to try the vick''s!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 9:18:07 AM
Italia, my hair has lots of issues!
2.gif
3.gif

What kind of hairspray is your favorite?

Also, the under part of my hair REALLY wants to be curly. It drives me nuts! Even if I dont blowdry it, and I put mousse in it, it just ends up a ball of frizz under there, while the top part is smooth and pretty, with just a touch of wave. What should I do? A friend said use a curl-enhancing gel, should I just put it on the underneath? Any chance the rest of my hair will catch up?

Thanks for this thread! I am totally going to try the vick''s!!
Are you looking to enhance the curl, or blow it out smooth? If you''re looking for curly hair...Big Sexy Hair has a curl line that I adore. Great, light weight products that give your natural texture a great boost. I would suggest, if you''re going to go curly, use a a curly product line from start to finish. Shampoo''s and Conditioners created for curly hair are designed to give maximum moisture but at the same time remaining as weighless as possible. If you use a normal moisturtizing shamp and cond, you''re actually weight down the beautiful curl you have no good reason at all.

If you''re going to blow it out smooth, I would Matrix Sleek and Smooth line or the entire Chi line. Martix is a bit more popular, and smells really good. Essentially what this product does is weigh your hair down, so that it''s harder for the natural texture to spring up. I would apply the smoothing serum to your nap area--or where you''re having the problem. Start with blowing it dry in that area. Using a paddle brush, "flat wrap" the hair to shape of your next. Brush and blow it one direction, then reverse it to the other direction. This will smooth your hair out evenly. Once the hair is 90% dry using the flat wrap techinque, take a large boreshair round brush to the hair....really work the hair. The natural bristles will smooth the hair out and reduce frizz. After you finish a section, spray a bit of hairspray on the brush, and brush the section...this will catch any fly-aways you may have missed. And when your hair is done, avoid touching it...the natural oils on your finger tips will cause your hair to react.

Also, a bit of good advice is to not fight with you hair. On humid or sticky days, don''t try to straighten it and then get disappointed when it doesn''t work. You''ll enjoy your natural texture more if you work with it, not against it.

I have different favorite hairsprays depending on the look I''m trying to achieve.

For Spray and Play, I really like Mario Tricoci spray. Mario''s is a popular Chicago salon, so this product isn''t available regionally but can be ordered online or via phone. I find that it doesn''t get gross or sticky in the hair when used in moderation.

For a firm, longer lasting hold, I love Big Sexy Hair spray. It''s a much firmer spray that the Mario''s, and really does lock your style in. I use this on my Brides in their formal styles, so while it''s a great product, I probably wouldn''t use it on a daily basis.

For a good root lift, I like Backcomb In A Bottle by Big Sexy Hair. Since most people struggle with product--and esspecially the right amount to use on wet hair, I love BCIAB because it takes the guess work out of the job. You simply lift your hair up at the root, give a little spritz directly on the root, fluff your fingers around in the mess for a minute---and vavoom, you''ve got...big sexy backcombed hair. The bottle it comes in is teeny tiny, but you don''t need a ton for daily use--so it lasts a good while.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Italia!! I REALLY want to try that last BCIAB hairspray you talked about...since that is what I use the spray for anyway.

I guess I don''t know what to do, since my hair is like half and half! Any harm in using curly product all over, even on the straight parts?

What do you think of the Fekkai products?

Now you have inspired me to get a really nice brush
11.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
There is absolutely no harm in using curling products all over...but curling products won''t magically curl straight hair, however it will be easier to manipulate a curl out of by twisting or scrunching. But, since you do have a slight natural wave, it''ll give you really nice results. But remember...don''t use curly products on days you want to be straight.

I think Fekkai products are okay...slightly overrated. It has a big following of people who
30.gif
them, but I personally have used to so many professional products I didn''t go ga-ga over his by any means. I think for the same money (maybe even less) you can get a better product.

Oh...and another way to get great curl, if you''re using a decent amount of product, is to make sure you clarify your hair.

jellycat

Rough_Rock
thank you for all your advice!

i actually have very thick, wavy, color-treated hair(for those nasty greys), and i am definitely a wash and go type of gal. can you recommend a good line of shampoo & conditioner for wavy, color-treated hair?

Also, after I wash, I like to put in some type of hair leave-in, cream, or serum to accentuate waves, and tame my frizzies.. is there anything you can recommend for that? I''ve tried so many products, but haven''t found "the one" yet..

I''ve tried:
phyto 9 - pretty good, but not "strong" enough for my extremely thick, frizzy hair
kerastase serum oleo relax - oily and didn''t do much for my hair
biosilk - didn''t do enough
fekkai glossing cream - had the best luck with this one in the past, but doesn''t work as well anymore for some reason.

and many others, but none of them really did the trick.. am i looking for too much in one product? i''m willing to use more than one, so any advice is super appreciated. thank you!!

5.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Rather than using a serum--which is primarly for gloss and shine---use a curl definer.

Most products on the market are now made for color treated hair since very few people don't color or chemically treat their hair one way or another. For the companies it's just easier to put the good stuff in all their products to keep color fresh and viberate as opposed to creating a totally seperate line for color treated only.

Wash and go, huh? I would suggest something like Matrix Smooth and Straight. Wait, wait, wait...before you think I'm nuts or contradicting myself...

Shampoo neither has the power to curl straight hair or straighten curly hair. All it has the ability to do is assist you in getting closer to whatever your goal is. Since you simply wash and go--but are fighting with fly aways and frizzies...a smoothing shampoo would be perfect! It will give your hair the added weight it needs to avoid looking flyaway...but it wont straighten your hair without your assistance.

One product will very rarely, if ever, completely solve a hair problem. The reason "hair care lines" were developed, is so that woman--like yourself--who suffer from different symptoms of the same "issue" can have a bunch of little solutions in one easy to go to place.

I, for example, have color treated dark hair...its somewhat wavy, but in a good way...but, it gets greasy easy. I use Pureology on my hair...I use the volume line. Its great for me, and together, the 4 products I use work my issues out.

jellycat

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 2:42:52 PM
Rather than using a serum--which is primarly for gloss and shine---use a curl definer.

Most products on the market are now made for color treated hair since very few people don''t color or chemically treat their hair one way or another. For the companies it''s just easier to put the good stuff in all their products to keep color fresh and viberate as opposed to creating a totally seperate line for color treated only.

Wash and go, huh? I would suggest something like Matrix Smooth and Straight. Wait, wait, wait...before you think I''m nuts or contradicting myself...

Shampoo neither has the power to curl straight hair or straighten curly hair. All it has the ability to do is assist you in getting closer to whatever your goal is. Since you simply wash and go--but are fighting with fly aways and frizzies...a smoothing shampoo would be perfect! It will give your hair the added weight it needs to avoid looking flyaway...but it wont straighten your hair without your assistance.

One product will very rarely, if ever, completely solve a hair problem. The reason ''hair care lines'' were developed, is so that woman--like yourself--who suffer from different symptoms of the same ''issue'' can have a bunch of little solutions in one easy to go to place.

I, for example, have color treated dark hair...its somewhat wavy, but in a good way...but, it gets greasy easy. I use Pureology on my hair...I use the volume line. Its great for me, and together, the 4 products I use work my issues out.

thank you for your recs! i will look into matrix and also pureology.. i was using the shampoo and conditioner, but felt it was building up a bit in my hair.

is there a good clarifying shampoo you recommend that doesn''t strip hair color out? the ones i tried had a tendency to strip out my hair color.. i also have dark hair. thank you!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
so, if my hair isn''t color treated, what difference does that make? Should I be using a certain kind of shampoo or conditioner? Or is the difference negligible?

Man, you are a great resource! I love products. Sephora is like a black hole for my money.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 3:50:15 PM
Author: jellycat

Date: 9/30/2008 2:42:52 PM

Most products on the market are now made for color treated hair since very few people don''t color or chemically treat their hair one way or another. For the companies it''s just easier to put the good stuff in all their products to keep color fresh and viberate as opposed to creating a totally seperate line for color treated only.

Wash and go, huh? I would suggest something like Matrix Smooth and Straight. Wait, wait, wait...before you think I''m nuts or contradicting myself...

One product will very rarely, if ever, completely solve a hair problem. The reason ''hair care lines'' were developed, is so that woman--like yourself--who suffer from different symptoms of the same ''issue'' can have a bunch of little solutions in one easy to go to place.

thank you for your recs! i will look into matrix and also pureology.. i was using the shampoo and conditioner, but felt it was building up a bit in my hair.

is there a good clarifying shampoo you recommend that doesn''t strip hair color out? the ones i tried had a tendency to strip out my hair color.. i also have dark hair. thank you!
I love Sunday Shampoo by Bumble and Bumble. Its a gentle clarifier.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 3:59:57 PM
so, if my hair isn''t color treated, what difference does that make? Should I be using a certain kind of shampoo or conditioner? Or is the difference negligible?

Man, you are a great resource! I love products. Sephora is like a black hole for my money.
You wouldn''t notice a difference using shampoo for color hair.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''m going to have to print this thread and go shopping!

I absolutely agree with you on the Shu Uemura eyelash curler. I bought one based on a recomendation a few years ago, and I LOVE it! It''s the only one I have ever found that actually works on my eyelashes.

I have color treated, curly hair. I bought a Chi flat iron but haven''t even had it out of the box yet. I''m not quite sure how to use it. My sister tells me that she doesn''t use any product on her hair - wash, dry, flat iron, but that doesn''t seem right to me. I feel like I need something, but don''t know what. I didn''t realize Chi had products, so I''ll have to check those out. This summer has been really humid and rainy, and I haven''t been in too much of a hurry to try the flat iron.

Most days I prefer to go curly just because it is easier. But I wish my curls were more defined. The very top layer of my hair tends to do some funky, frizzy thing. My hair is cut in long layers because it is so thick, and all the layers do what they''re supposed to do except that top layer. I tried the Fekkai line for curly hair and hated it. My hair felt so heavy and greasy. I have tried so many other curly hair lines and it seems like they make my hair feel the same way. I have been using the Fekkai line for color treated hair and it makes my hair feel soft - except for that top frizzy layer that drives me insane!!!!

The little heating coils in my hairdryer caught fire while I was on vacation last week, and I''m about to order a new one. Do you have recomendations for a good hairdryer for curly hair?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I am a Chi tool kinda gal. I adore the hair dryer. It''s super powerful, but very quiet...I can easily carry on a conversation while using it without having to struggle to hear over the noise.

The defuser attachment is awesome. Small and compact, and the numbs are very well spaced for maximum volume and curl pattern.

The easiest way to fix a crazy "crown" is to use a curl enhancing balm...take large sections of you hair and twist it while its wet, this will force a great curl pattern. The use the defuser--even for a couple of minutes. Lightly mist the hair with a spray and play hairspray. And most importantly, don''t play with it when it''s dry...

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay - I ordered a Chi hairdryer and can''t wait for it to come in. I thought about buying one of these once before but ended up getting something cheaper. I''m excited!

I also bought the Big Sexy Hair curl shampoo and conditioner, and my hair is so curly and bouncy today. I loved it. I tried what you said about twirling chunks around the crown, and it worked. It looked so much better, and that''s drying it with my crappy back-up dryer until my Chi gets here. Maybe there''s hope for my hair after all. Yay!!! Now if the humidity outside will slack off and I''ll give my Chi flat iron a try. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results