shape
carat
color
clarity

My perky K-hi I''m new here and wanted to share

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this. I''m brand new here. I''ve been lurking for a good while and finally decided to join in the fun. I have upgraded the stone 12 times (yes, I''m one of those people) in the past four or so years I''ve had this ring. Calll me fickle, or a perfectionist, or whatever, but dh started with a local b and m who has a great trade up policy, so I have taken full advantage. I''ve had lots of different shapes, sizes, and colors. I''ve had literally every color from d to k and the shapes round, emerald, and now an emerald shaped princess. In my "travels" I have learned that an excellent cut can mask a funky color any day. I have ended (operative word "ended"??) with a beautiful 2.55 K modified square brilliant, which is white as can be (seriously), with a 1000 little what I call fish scale carvings that give off bullets of rainbows. I just wanted to tell people to consider K''s (nicely cut ones) and to look at lots in person, because they are as different as snowflakes. I have attached a picture- not sure how it will come out-hoping it will do the stone justice. I learned so much on Pricescope and read posts just about every evening--like a good book before bed. You all seem like such nice people. I''ve enjoyed and am enjoying reading your posts. Julia

juliaring255kpost.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Girl, from your nightly lurkin'' ya must know we''re gonna need some more pix of that beauty!!!
31.gif
What a great story too! Different shapes? D''s through K''s!!
Do TELL! Can you write up the whole timeline from the beginning! I''m sure folks would benefit from all the stuff you learned "along the way."!!!

Also, c''mon now - MORE PIXXXXXXXX!
35.gif
35.gif
(also, welcome!)

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
WOW your ring sounds incredible!!! But that picture''s a bit small...you have any more??
9.gif
I really want to see the fish-scale carvings you''re talking about!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi again!!! Love your ring but can barely see it. Can you post some bigger pics?? Pretty please???
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
12 upgrades in 4 years
23.gif
Please do share more pics...that K looks amazing..

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, please more pictures!

And I''m amazed --- 12 stone upgrades in 4 years? I think you hold the PS record!! What''s your secret?
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW suddenly 3 upgrades in 3 years doesn''t look quite so bad!!! Let me put my
12.gif
back on!

I third/fourth/fifth the request for more pictures. We have seen some stunning K''s on here, one more sounds great!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Julia- great story!! We definitely need more pics, your set looks gorgeous!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blimey - that averages out at THREE upgrades a year!
41.gif
Glad to have you on board so you can teach us some hints and tips!
36.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow! You must be quite the talker 12 in 4 years! Please post more pictures!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too would love to see more pictures, as well as hear the saga of your dozen or so different stones! If you can remember them all, I''d love to hear more about your stone journey, shapes, sizes, cts, etc!! Welcome!!
35.gif

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS! And finally coming out of lurkville!
35.gif

Ya, please do tell us of your saga. And what about those pictures!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I must know your secrets!!! How have you managed so many upgrades??? You are a true PSer!!! More pics of that stunner! Pretty please with sugar on top!

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to your home among diamond lovers.

Your ring looks gorgeous. You do need to show us a bigger photo, so we can drool.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Julia. Please post more pics. Your ring looks lovely. As far as cut, you are preaching to the choir (as I am sure you know).
2.gif

shay

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your warm welcome! I feel so honored to be talking with you guys--you are all the experts, not me. Okay, you want a story? Let me see.... Dh and I started out in the Peace Corps 22ish years ago. Actually met on a blind date here stateside, I left for the PC, he called and proposed on the phone, came over a yr later, we were married overseas-ino diamond-not really into diamonds at the time. Flash forward 16 or so years and I get this wild idea just maybe I would like a diamond. Ok, dh starts the research. He bought from a b and m because they had a great upgrade policy-no limit, just spend a dollar more each time. Hey, no problem! Let''s just say they know us by our first names, lol. I have grown to be a fanatic and have found myself educating young couples wandering in when I am there (heaven help them). So, yes, I guess that equates to about 3 changes per year, but really they''ve come in spurts.

I don''t think I can recall the time range of each one exactly, but here it is in a nutshell: (Don''t laugh-it just evolved like this..)
Ring 1 All dh had for instructions (before ps) was to go for best clarity possible. He presented me with a round, 1.7, vs1, brownish j, no life
Ring 2 6 mo later, I get the nerve to change to an I, round, 1.8 si2
Ring 3 1 yr later,upgrade for color to H, round, 1.5, si1
Ring4 Can''t remember time span exactly from here for a while, lol, but upgraded to E, round, excellent cut, vs2, 1 c, went into withdrawal from going smaller, didn''t see extreme color diff for price
Ring 5 Back to an H, round, 1.6, si2
Ring 6 upgraded to higher color, G, round, 1.5, vs2 wanted overall better color and clarity
Ring 7 I got bored and wanted a diff shape, a glorious emerald cut, F, vs2, 2.03
Ring 8 Find colleagues stare at hand, become self concious, decide to change shape, smaller, G, 1.5, princess
Ring 9 Got bored! Went back and saw and chose agorgeous K, a 3 carot, si2, princess! BUT, in bubble bath it showed yellow- had to go! lol
Ring 10 Went back, found a stunning 2.55 K, vvs2, emerald shaped princess, swoon
Ring 11 Starting obsessing I had a K and felt I had to tell people it was a K, decided to do something drastic and went back for a 1 carot d, vs1, excellent cut. Decided within a week that I enjoyed the size more than "knowledge" that it was a d and...
Ring 12 Went back and got my precious 2.55 again!!!! I''m completely over the knowing it''s a certain letter and number thing and went for the BEST MY EYES HAVE EVER SEEN. My K is absolutley mesmerizing gorgeous. It is cut underneath unlike any other princess I have ever seen. I wish I could get a pic for you, but it''s not possible mounted.

Okay, so, you also have to know that I''ve been married 21 years now, and have 2 teenagers and have earned all this knowledge! lol Anyway, my ring rocks my world. It gives me more pleasure than any material thing I own. My dh and children just laugh at me over my obsession, but it gives me peace and something I love to dabble in. I think I''m done upgrading for a while--but I still love to see what others are doing. My rocks have been certed GIA up til this one, which is IGI (I know, a virtual no name, but I am ok with that bc if I upgrade, I will go back to where I''ve been going...). It''s called a "modified rectangular brilliant" (no bow tie!), 7.69 x 7.26 x 5.27, depth 72.6, table 71.0, medium to slightly thick, no flour, polish and sym very good, very good. That''s all I have- no angles, etc. Just my eyeballs. Princess cuts are tricky. I''ve had some dead ones and some lively to extremely lively ones. This one just pops.

I''m learning how to take pictures. I was trying to keep it under 1 K last time. I''ll see what I can do to get it better. I''ll have to search for photo tips.
So, that is my saga. I hope you all don''t think I''m nuts. I love it that it seems there are others possibly like me on this site. This is so much fun to visit.
35.gif
Julia

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for walking us through that. It''s fascinating to see into the mind of another diamond lover.
1.gif
How long do you think this one will keep?

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Hi FireGoddess,
Dh says this one is IT. He really doesn''t mind the whole process-I think he gets a kick out of seeing me enjoy myself. Plus, he''s kind of gotten into the fun side of the hunt. But, really, I''m done for now. I''m not into lots of shoes/clothes, etc, (maybe a quality bag here and there
28.gif
) so this is a love that I sort of rationalize.

I think too that my case is different from a lot of folks in that I was not proposed to with this ring. I look at jewelry as something beautiful and that''s about it. I have no problem trading up.... and should a gorgeous K eyeclean pear walk into my life some day.....hmmmm Hey, never say never, right? Ahhh the possibilities......
27.gif

julia

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Julia, you''re so cute! I can just imagine you staring at your ring, cleaning and polishing it with a silly grin on your face while your family is in the background watching incredulously and laughing!

No matter, your ring is beautiful and you should enjoy it. I clean my .88 carat RHR obsessively, and my bf just rolls his eyes whenever I tell him not to dirty up the diamond with his oily fingers!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing your upgrade journey!!! Good for you that you are doing what makes you happy. I get the eye rolls from my two boys (11 and 10)! They call PS the weirdo site! Isn''t it just great here.

In Diamond Hangout, Singer had a thread a few days ago about posting pics. I think an original thread reg. that is by Belle. Sorry...I don''t know how to post links.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Yes, well, speaking of fingerprints... here''s a shortcut I have started doing. I have an ultrasonic little thing, and keep a bottle of ammonia and laundry det nearby. The shortcut goes like this: Open ammonia, pour into little cap, dunk diamond (still on finger) in cap, brush with little brush that came with ultrasonic, rinse in hot hot water. I was kind of proud of myself for coming up with that, lol lol. When I do ultrasonic, I put ammonia, the laundry det, and hot water in there. The ammonia trick is pure laziness on my part.

I was just remembering my reaction at the mall this last weekend when a saleswoman reached out and grabbed my hand at one of those kiosks--she wanted to put lotion on my hands-I think I had the look of horror on my face, lol. Dh stepped in on cue and said she doesn''t do that bc of the rings. The woman looked at us like we were crazy. It''s moments like that when I think, "whoa, I''m in deep!"
37.gif

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
A big welcome to you JustJulia--
35.gif

It''s so funny reading your story, I chuckled so many times because it rings so true! You''ve definitely been bitten by the diamond bug, just like all the rest of us here. There is something so addicting about diamonds. Once you''ve gazed into a beautifullly cut stone, nothing else can compare!

I congratulate you on being able to get the "color label" out of your head and appreciate the beauty that your diamond has to offer. Cut is king! Beauty is in the seeing, not in a color grade on certificate in a drawer.

And I''ll add another request for more pictures.... we just love those pictures!
9.gif

Again, welcome.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I am having to share the phone line with my son- we live in a remote place and can''t get dsl! Ugh! So, when I get a chance, I will go see about those threads Miranda-thanks!! Pictures coming everyone! Eventually! Sigh- time for my 13 yr old to take the line.... I''ll check in later....

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
12 upgrades. 4 years. You win. I don''t think any other PSer can top that.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Serial diamond lover/stalker! I love it!
30.gif
JustJulia, you are the stuff PS dreams are made of!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
WOW...that''s alot of upgrading but the last is certainly stunning
30.gif
I''m on board with the others...more pictures please!!!

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
23.gif

We''re not worthy! We''re not worthy!

notworthy.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
You all absolutely crack me up!!!!
I feel so loved! lol lol lol
It''s nice to be out of the closet and admitting my "hobby." I have to admit to you that when I wanted my last one back, I went with hubby but didn''t have the nerve to go in the store w/ him--I knew it was the one, but I just couldn''t bear the possible looks from my "salesfamily"-(how do you like that term I just made up? ha). Anyway, I want what I want and dh reminds me that they get money every time I trade up, so it''s a win win.

Ok, last night I tried and tried to uplaod a picture. I have the perfect one, I spent seemingly hours outdoors taking pics yesterday... I got inspired from many of the beautiful pictures I''ve seen posted here. Boy, I had fun. There I was, stepping back and forth trying to get the macro just right. I could not get it to post!!!! I searched for advice, but kept coming up short of the info I needed. I know I''m doing something elementary wrong-I feel so stupid.

I''ll keep trying. Thank you for your wonderful posts and words of kindness. Mara, you wear a halo all the time to me-when you posted I ran out to dh saying "the ps queen actually wrote to me!" --I admire all of you!! Okay, back to trying to post that picture. Should I put it in the "show me the ring" forum? julia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results