shape
carat
color
clarity

My partner may be proposing, I found out.

dexchick

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.

Been with my partner for 10 years. We talked about getting married early on in the relationship but never got around to getting engaged because of various things such as losing jobs, not having enough money for a wedding etc. We have not spoken about getting married or engaged for a few years now, he has always said he wanted it to be a surprise.

Anyway, he found a new job last month and finally the money problems we had been having have now gone away.

They gave him clothes to wear at work, he left for work in a rush this morning, and text me to ask if I would wash his work clothes as he will need them tomorrow.

I got his clothes and just before putting them in the washing machine I checked his pockets in his trousers (Its a habit I have had ever since I washed his clothes once and he had left money in the pockets that ended up being put through the washing machine!)

In the pocket of his trousers was a card from a jewelers, on the back of that was some notes he had made about the ring he has chosen, the price of it, how much he had paid off, and I am assuming the date he is about to propose as he wrote the date down and wrote next to it todays the day! etc and a reciept for the ring showing it has been paid off in full. The jewelers is near his new job.

He remembered about it obviously because he sent me another text saying dont wash the clothes just leave them where they are and he would do it when he got home.

I feel terrible because I saw this, I feel like I have ruined it all.

Should I tell him what I saw, Maybe then he could change the date so I wont know when hes going to do it? or should I say nothing?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd say nothing and leave the clothes as jumbled as they were when you found them --- put everything back where it was and play it as cool as a cucumber from here on in!

As I often say - you are now up for an Oscar and this is the Academy performance of your life!!! I'm normally all about honesty but your guy has gone to a lot of effort to surprise you and I'd hate to see this ruined for him. Keep it cool, stay as normal as possible... good luck!!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome, dexchick! :wavey:

I would also put the card and clothes as they were and not say anything. Enjoy the anticipation and let him do what he already planned.

So, what date was written on the card?!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
How amazingly exciting!!!
Say nothing... You haven't ruined the surprise - how can you?!? -

You will have plenty of time to worry and wonder (in a totally good /great way) about whether 'the plan' is on track etc etc etc...

Just enjoy!!! ;))

dexchick

Rough_Rock
mary poppins|1355149072|3327515 said:

December 20th. :shock:

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
Eeee so exciting! I agree with everyone, don't tell him you found out and pretend you know nothing! After all, you haven't seen the ring in person and you don't know HOW he's going to do it, so it's still all a surprise! But now you can do a little planning on what you're going to wear on the 20th, maybe get a manicure, etc. :bigsmile:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would getting a manicure be too much of a give away? If so, at least give your hands a little TLC, remove chipped polish and a quick file.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dexchick|1355150447|3327521 said:
mary poppins|1355149072|3327515 said:

December 20th. :shock:

Very exciting!!! :appl: Waiting when you know it's going to happen on a certain date is fun! 10 days isn't too long, but at the same time it can seem like a long time. But after 10 years . . . it's only 10 days! Yippee!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1355153804|3327552 said:
Would getting a manicure be too much of a give away? If so, at least give your hands a little TLC, remove chipped polish and a quick file.

I agree with everyone else. Put on your best acting skills! Don't ruin his big plans ::) or you might have to wait longer!
I agree with LadyD. If you don't normally get manicures, don't get one. But if you have an excuse.. say "Honey, I'm going to get my nails done, the BFFs and I are going to have a girls night out on the 19th to some dressier restaurant, does this dress look cute?" he won't think twice.

Good luck!!!! I hope you come back with an update for us :bigsmile: I think that's so cute that he remembered his pocket and freaked out, lol.

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
OMG how exciting, and I agree with everyone else!!!

Congratulations and you must come back and post pictures after he proposes!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I agree with the others - at this point it may just hurt his feelings. He tried to take back asking you to wash the clothes. You may know the day, but you don't know what time of that day, how, when, where, or what the ring looks like! You'll still be surprised.

Eek! 12/20 is so soon!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Congratulations! :D Hooray!

I agree with the others that you shouldn't tell him. I know it's probably hard not to (I am the WORST at keeping secrets/lying, it's probably something G really likes about me!) but I think it would be the kindest thing for him if you didn't tell him. It seems like he's waited a long time to be able to do this and is very excited and he probably feels as if he is going to give you the biggest surprise of your life-- so if I were in your position, I'd spare his feelings by allowing him to experience the joy of giving you the perfect proposal he's been planning so hard for.

How exciting!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cygnet|1355166292|3327767 said:
Congratulations! :D Hooray!

I agree with the others that you shouldn't tell him. I know it's probably hard not to (I am the WORST at keeping secrets/lying, it's probably something G really likes about me!) but I think it would be the kindest thing for him if you didn't tell him. It seems like he's waited a long time to be able to do this and is very excited and he probably feels as if he is going to give you the biggest surprise of your life-- so if I were in your position, I'd spare his feelings by allowing him to experience the joy of giving you the perfect proposal he's been planning so hard for.

How exciting!

SRS. I haz no poker face whatsoever. Haha! So all the luck and dust to you, OP, that you can pull off an act that deserves an Oscar.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
madelise|1355169230|3327834 said:
SRS. I haz no poker face whatsoever. Haha! So all the luck and dust to you, OP, that you can pull off an act that deserves an Oscar.

No poker face! You understand me!
G and I have this game. He thinks it's the funniest game ever. When I can't contain my excitement or feelings about something, he looks at me VERY STERNLY and says "CHARLIE, BE CALM," and for some reason, the phrase "be calm" sends me into uproarious laughter and then I have a giggle fit that goes on for 20 minutes and he just laughs and laughs and laughs at me...

We are silly people. :wink2:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! Nine sleeps to go! Enjoy marinating in your excitement until then. :appl:

I think its OK to play the fool in this situation, so long as you feel comfortable doing so!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Squeeeeeee!!!! Girl, I'd be on pins and needles if I were you. Like others have said- you need to play it cool. Work that poker face- I know it's difficult (I sure as he11 couldn't do it!).

As another poster said, you know the date, but you don't have specifics, as to the time, place, etc........

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Good luck dexchick!! Any more updates for us??

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
Eeeeeee!!! How exciting! If I were you I would be beside myself with excitement waiting for the 20th! And I definitely wouldn't say anything, just build up the excitement and try not to let on that you know anything which would be next to impossible!! I can't wait to hear an update after the 20th. I am so jealous!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cygnet|1355178713|3327976 said:
madelise|1355169230|3327834 said:

No poker face! You understand me!
G and I have this game. He thinks it's the funniest game ever. When I can't contain my excitement or feelings about something, he looks at me VERY STERNLY and says "CHARLIE, BE CALM," and for some reason, the phrase "be calm" sends me into uproarious laughter and then I have a giggle fit that goes on for 20 minutes and he just laughs and laughs and laughs at me...

We are silly people. :wink2:

ROAR! hahahaah, we always joke that I'd never be able to lie or cheat because I want to tell him everything anyway! I can't hide anything for the life of me!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
PhillyMcGee|1355299908|3329182 said:
Eeeeeee!!! How exciting! If I were you I would be beside myself with excitement waiting for the 20th! And I definitely wouldn't say anything, just build up the excitement and try not to let on that you know anything which would be next to impossible!! I can't wait to hear an update after the 20th. I am so jealous!
Me too! I'd be DYING If I KNEW it were that day. Just dying.

dexchick

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to come back and update, The things are now gone from his pocket and moved to somewhere I dont know about!

I couldnt resist when he got home I asked him why he didnt want me to wash his clothes after all, he looked a bit sheepish and mumbled that he would get another few days out of them before getting them washed. :Up_to_something:

I wish I hadnt found them and that I didnt know it was coming, because now as soon as he says lets go out to dinner, or lets go for a walk somewhere (or whatever his plan may be) Im going to know whats happening, we live in the middle of nowhere with nothing at all around us for around 35 miles so as soon as he suggests something I will know for sure.

Maybe I got it wrong anyway, maybe the 20th is the day he picks the ring up as they will be closing over christmas! (not sure how that works, the ring is paid off in full, could he ask to keep it there even though its paid for or would he have to take it?) I know for a fact he wouldnt bring it home unless he really had to, and theres no family he could leave it with until he asks me. The only possible place he could leave it would be at work.

Either way I will come back and let you know what happens.

Thanks everyone.

audball

Ideal_Rock
*hugs*

Ok, so time to decide how you really feel. Is the surprise more important to you? As in, would you be okay with the engagement being pushed back as much as several weeks/months to try and capture that surprise? Or do you just want to be engaged?

There is no wrong answer but how you truly feel will determine how you should proceed.

My two cents is that if you do live in the middle of nowhere, does it matter if it's going to be next week or 3 months from now? Now that you know he has a ring, you'll be expecting it anytime something out of the ordinary comes up. If that part of the surprise has already been removed, why wait?

I also think that at this point you're likely to hurt his feelings by bringing it up. You had the opportunity to right when you found the information. I'm guessing he'd be more hurt to know that you've known all week and didn't say anything? You know him best.

Think about what's really most important to you and then do what you've got to do (either staying quiet or telling him you know).

Good luck!

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
Just because you know it's coming, or suspect something if he suggests a dinner or walk doesn't make it any less special or romantic! Living on the edge of your seat is the hardest part, but once it actually happens you won't care that it wasn't a complete surprise. I still maintain that seeing the ring in person for the first time will be surprise enough!

And, I think the silver lining is that you can sort of plan - not just physically like getting a mani, but also emotionally. I've heard of many stories where the gal kept "ruining" her SO's plans by being suspicious or not going along with stuff, but since you have a head's up, you can play the oblivious role really well :D There was even one story I heard where the girl kept snipping at her guy "why haven't you proposed yet, if you don't I might have to move on" etc on the night that he was going to propose. She kept harping so finally he was like, FINE, here it is, I was gonna do it. You don't want to be that girl!! So act surprised and be happy!

audball

Ideal_Rock
boysenberry|1355411672|3330241 said:
Just because you know it's coming, or suspect something if he suggests a dinner or walk doesn't make it any less special or romantic! Living on the edge of your seat is the hardest part, but once it actually happens you won't care that it wasn't a complete surprise. I still maintain that seeing the ring in person for the first time will be surprise enough!

And, I think the silver lining is that you can sort of plan - not just physically like getting a mani, but also emotionally. I've heard of many stories where the gal kept "ruining" her SO's plans by being suspicious or not going along with stuff, but since you have a head's up, you can play the oblivious role really well :D There was even one story I heard where the girl kept snipping at her guy "why haven't you proposed yet, if you don't I might have to move on" etc on the night that he was going to propose. She kept harping so finally he was like, FINE, here it is, I was gonna do it. You don't want to be that girl!! So act surprised and be happy!
Also true. Many former LIWs can attest to the fact that even though they knew he had a ring and that it was going to happen anytime that they were still very much caught off guard and surprised by the words, and the how, etc.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
BUMP!

Tomorrow, tomorrow! :appl:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Not yet Chewy! It's only the 18th still here in the States! 2 more days for her!

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
I'm excited to hear what happens!

Lady5

Rough_Rock
Can't wait to get an update! :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Today is the 20th!!! I can't wait to hear how the day goes.... I'm excited for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results