shape
carat
color
clarity

My OEC, platinum onyx ring from 1880s!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Many years ago I was given this beautiful OEC cluster ring set in onyx and platinum. It belonged to my Great-Great Aunt Jessie, from the 1880’s. Her husband was involved with the railroad, and needless to say they were “well off”.
You can see there’s a crack in the onyx at about 5 o’clock.
The OEC’s are SUPER white, and there are no inclusions that I can find under the loupe. Also, the center stone has the kozibe effect thing going on! So cool!
94983CAE-474C-45EC-ACDD-B2F21F88BBC1.jpeg
Aunt Jessie is on the left :)

B883FADF-8A25-4C6D-BF65-7C101EB142DC.png

AB82A96E-BDAF-4071-8213-63511EB9E4BE.png 960CF4CA-B907-4E51-8638-A68EEBA5A04F.jpeg
99440CE1-6A39-4B21-8DB7-ADE6DEA4C462.jpeg
224CCDDF-9F8B-450A-A678-BF092AD7E983.jpeg
5883DC67-E485-4958-9596-A8342EBDE52C.jpeg
C8B762D7-6428-42D5-9DB6-BBCF783A8D4B.png

Anyhoos, it’s a family heirloom and I intend to keep it. But what would you guys do with it? Leave it as is, or attempt to repair it?
It has beautiful craftsmanship. Aside from the slight crack in the onyx, it’s in superb condition. None of the diamonds have fluorescence either. They are so well cut and sparkly.

just wanted to share since I’ve been on a vintage kick lately :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lovely piece of jewellery!

I would be inclined to leave it as it is, except perhaps to replace the Onyx that is cracked.

How about replacing the Onyx with black Opal perhaps? Just a suggestion.

Enjoy, whatever you decide.

DK :kiss2:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
A lovely piece of jewellery!

I would be inclined to leave it as it is, except perhaps to replace the Onyx that is cracked.

How about replacing the Onyx with black Opal perhaps? Just a suggestion.

Enjoy, whatever you decide.

DK :kiss2:

Thank you DK! :)

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I'm usually in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But I know nothing about onyx so I'm not sure how "bad" that crack is. Gorgeous ring though. And what amazing history behind it! :kiss2:

Thank you! The crack isn’t bad, I don’t think it goes all the way through. More of a chip than a crack thankfully!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
How lucky you are to have such a beauty passed down from family! :love:

I wouldn’t replace the onyx unless it was wriggling loose, and wear it with care until then.

Thank you! It’s my “quilting” ring as you can see from the fabric! I only wear it when I’m quilting since it’s a pretty low stress (for the ring ;)) job haha!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I have loved onyx and diamonds F O R E V E R. Love that it's an heirloom piece too! I probably won't do anything with the onyx unless it completely breaks off. I can't see the crack. Congratulations!

Thank you!!
Incredible to have such a piece of history!

Thank you! I think so too, I love history and had to post the picture of Aunt Jessie to go with it

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! The crack isn’t bad, I don’t think it goes all the way through. More of a chip than a crack thankfully!

Oh! What a beautiful piece of art! And it comes with the history which makes it double special! Leave it whenever possible but bring it to a trusted jeweller (possibly one with experience in antique pieces) and have him or her check it over.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this! I wonder if there might be a picture somewhere of Aunt Jessie actually wearing it? How cool would that be?!!

I echo the others, wear it with care & keep an eye on the onyx. It's really stood the test of time, so i expect it'll hold up a while longer yet.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your aunt's ring
I love the antique onyx look and wish we saw more of it
Onyx is not exspensive, id (carefully) wear the heck out of it and replace the onyx when the time comes

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My gosh that is charming, love the flower in the middle, I would wear and enjoy it!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I love the diamond cluster, it is one of the prettiest I have seen in this type of onyx ring. I also vote to keep the ring as it is as it has sentimental value, but I wonder if you could get the onyx sealed somehow to preserve it and prevent it from breaking up further.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I love the diamond cluster, it is one of the prettiest I have seen in this type of onyx ring. I also vote to keep the ring as it is as it has sentimental value, but I wonder if you could get the onyx sealed somehow to preserve it and prevent it from breaking up further.

Thank you so much!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous!
I would leave it alone, and wear it gently from time to time.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
It’s beautiful! I would leave it alone if it’s cosmetic. If it’s a structural problem then I would fix it and find someone who works with antiques. Get it checked by a jewelry to see what they say.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful. Love this ring! I would leave as is, and not attempt to repair it in any way. There are very few, if any, competent artisans nowadays that rival what jewelers could do in the past. (IMO)

Just imagine the crack happening in some romantic or sentimental distant past event, it’s a record of that point in time. But the ring was cherished enough to keep wearing.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fantastic ring with such a wonderful history. Plus you are a quilter, can't get any better than that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results