shape
carat
color
clarity

My new JXR ammy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I have gotten rid of some of my JXR stones with hopes of upgrading to something larger and having a more WOW factor. I think I finally found the one that I am going to keep and go up on the shelf next to my specimens. Sad to say I wish I had dug this one out of the ground but it will do. I haven''t paid for it yet as i am still making sure i want to keep it in the permanent collection. 65cts. from JXR Georgia. First is Jeff''s photo

This is a copyrighted photo and can not be copied or reproduced in any way without the express wrtten premission of Jeff Scovil. I have been authorized as an agent of the original owner of the stone to copy and post this picture with whom Jeff has a contract with

jxr 2367.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
This is my photo..as you can see it''s sad compared to Jeff''s..mine is to dark..had dust spots all over(can''t figure out how to phtoshop them out)

jxr 4578.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic in hand showing the size..hmm..maybe a ring?
2.gif

jxr 456j.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Well that one sure does have WOW factor. Just look at that hand shot!! What is JXR though?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Holy Guac!

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 8:36:50 PM
Author: amethystguy
2.gif

Yes, definitely a ring
3.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic !
36.gif

and

Question for Am Guy: In which lightings do you see in blue the most in JXR's? In which lightings, the least blue? I have a JXR (credible seller) but it doesn't do blue like any of the ones you post. Darn.

Tx.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Not all stones have it and some more than others..in sunlight and flourescent light..never ever use incadescent light to grade or look at stones..there is not a worse light out there..you don't see the guys at GIA sitting there grading stones under Moms living room lamp..they use a type of flourescent light..don't remeber what kind exactly though..with that being said a gemstone is a function of the light it's in..so if i was to take pics under a regular incadescent bulb it would look like crap but the thing is most of us have incadescents thoughout our house..now lets use a flourescent..i use an Ott light..now stones generally look better under flourescent light..and flourescent lights are usually in the kitchen(if you don't have cans), schools, mall's, stores like walmart, or in the office at work..and of course sunlight..we all go outside so how does a stone look outside..it's like many Ps'er say.."how does it look in this light?..or how about this light?" Sunlight is really thes best and thats were i see the most blue in ammy's that have it..same with the red in four peaks..see the most red flash outside.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so very, very much.
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s enormous Amguy
6.gif
. As for blue amethysts, I have found that Zambians also have a great deal of blue to them. Enjoy your new collectors piece, it''s beautiful

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Well, if that doesn''t have enough wow for you, I don''t know what will! And your photo is NOT sad - Jeff''s almost looks too perfect, while yours looks real, dust and all. I prefer yours, actually.

I''d love to see a profile shot too - curious about the depth.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
yea the zambians have an almost identical color..very blue any many of them..here are some profile shots cell..this is down the short side

jxr 66ku.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
This is down the long side..

jxr 66ku2.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
JXR is Jackson Crossroads. It is a specific mine in North Carolina, I believe.

It was featured on Cash and Treasures on the Discovery Channel several years ago. It one of the many pay-to-mine places in North Carolina and it is known for these spectacular (and, obviously, sometime HUGE) blue-purple ammys.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
oh oh OH!!! I feel like the holidays just came earlier this year!!!!! I might actually feint if I ever saw that in real person. it is gorgeous!
36.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That is a gorgeous stone! It would make one heck of a paperweight. Just kidding, it looks like a great collector''s stone.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Actually Jeff..it''s in georgia..in the middle of nowhere..closest town(Washington) is what yoiu would imagine the setting is in the book "To Kill a Mocking Bird"..plantation houses, extremely impoverished african americans..it''s the quinessential "South"..since there is nothing around you have to contact the caretaker a week in advance so he can meet you there to let you in

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
39.gif
WANT!!!

Oh man thats some major yumminess!
30.gif

-A

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
Kinda looks like the deluxe version of the Mr. T starter kit! Awesome gem there Amguy! Don''t sell your photos short, they are tons better than any I have taken.... I think you should set it up on a really thick gold chain and give yourself a mohawk. The JXR digs would never be the same
25.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Yea haywood..aka. Ken and his wife went digging with me..we actually camped out and dug all weekend and it was his wifes first time camping also...LOL
9.gif
2.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
So will that be a N/S or E/W ring setting?
9.gif

Seriously, it''s a beautiful gemstone, and after this no one can say that amethysts can''t look very much like good quality tanzanites!

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Don''t quote me... The diamond grading bulbs are similar to ''daylight'' bulbs (not soft white which is most 48" bulbs). The goal is to get to ''sunlight''. The lights used are more tightly controlled for consistancy I would suspect (and they get to charge more ;-) ).

And as far as incandescent bulbs go, they can make some JXR flash red and blue (about 5 red to 1 blue in the piece I looked at 36 hours ago in the vanity lights.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am Guy,
No tweezers needed for that stone and there''s no way you''ll lose it among your other stones.
9.gif

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
man that is one georgous looking stone
30.gif

But.... I do have a question

Date: 3/4/2010 9:35:51 PM
Not all stones have it and some more than others..in sunlight and flourescent light..never ever use incadescent light to grade or look at stones..there is not a worse light out there..you don't see the guys at GIA sitting there grading stones under Moms living room lamp..they use a type of flourescent light..don't remeber what kind exactly though..with that being said a gemstone is a function of the light it's in..so if i was to take pics under a regular incadescent bulb it would look like crap but the thing is most of us have incadescents thoughout our house..now lets use a flourescent..i use an Ott light..now stones generally look better under flourescent light..and flourescent lights are usually in the kitchen(if you don't have cans), schools, mall's, stores like walmart, or in the office at work..and of course sunlight..we all go outside so how does a stone look outside..it's like many Ps'er say..'how does it look in this light?..or how about this light?' Sunlight is really thes best and thats were i see the most blue in ammy's that have it..same with the red in four peaks..see the most red flash outside.

if we generally live our lives in either sunlight or "moms living room lamp" amd "most of us have incandesents throughout our house", why wouldnt we use that to decide about a stone? After all thats how we are going to see it for 90% of the time.

I do understand what you are saying about GIA etc, but is that really realistic of what I personally am going to see in that stone for 90-95% of the situations of my life?

Surely if I like what I see "in real life" it shouldn't matter what GIA say with their 'special' light?

or have I missed something important?

(still a newbie wrt coloured stones so please forgive the 'ignorant' questions)

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
You are correct. My bad. No matter where it is, that is some kind of beautiful stone!

gingersnap

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 8:36:50 PM
2.gif
Maybe if you want to take up fist fighting!

That''s beautiful! Such a rich color
1.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
You have a good point Mac-W..i have been trying to figure out more about lighting and gems..what is proper way to photo a stone..most people have incadescents all over there house..should a stone be photoed in those bulbs since you are around them so much? Or what about the office or school or walmart..all have flourescents..heck most folks are in there office 8 hours a day so photo under a flourescent? sure sunlight is the best but how often do you stand out in the sun on a regular basis..i mean you don''t wear your stones out to do yard work..maybe to the kids soccer game and a going to a from places..should you show the stones in all lights in your pics?? i sure hope not..LOL..most stones look like crap in incadescent

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 8:04:24 AM
Author: Chrono
Am Guy,
No tweezers needed for that stone and there''s no way you''ll lose it among your other stones.
9.gif
You don''t say. What you need is a pair of mole grips

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I was just informed by the original owner of this stone that he thinks it''s the one they used in an article in a Lapidary Journal 2-4 years ago..he said they used a stone next to one of his clsuters and he thinks this is the one they used..he doesn''t remember 100%..does anyone have an older issue of the Lap. from 2-4 years ago? It''s about georgia amethyst and he says he thinks it was written be "Bllees" or a name like that..anyone have any lap journals? all mine are from the 70''s and 80''s..he can''t find his copy

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2010 12:18:28 AM
Yea haywood..aka. Ken and his wife went digging with me..we actually camped out and dug all weekend and it was his wifes first time camping also...LOL
9.gif
2.gif
I haven''t been camping in a while. I would go camping if I could find a gem like the one you show off here! Very cool color and size. Nice side shots! TFS
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results