shape
carat
color
clarity

My new emerald ring

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It is a 1.5ct colombian emerald, with .25cts of diamonds. The diamonds are VVS, and as far as I can tell w/o unmounting them at LEAST G color. Set in 14kt gold. I LOVE the setting! It is all filligree and hand engraved. BEAUTIFUL!

The emerald so far is passing the tests I can do. Flour intert, has some minor inclusions but none that look like flux or hydrothermal to me. I am going to take it to a local gemologist today so he can takke a quick look at iit. Its transparent, but slightly sleepy. Has a small crack on the table, but isnt very obvious.

ETA: The ring is vintage from 1930s, and in PERFECT condition.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
First picture

emeraldringksps3.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Underside of ring

emeraldringksps2.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another

rmeraldringksps.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And the emeralds true color. I had to tweak the pic a little because it refused to look as green as it is. THis is the exact color I see.

emeraldringksps9.JPG

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
OOOh very pretty! That setting is gorgeous and the emerald looks perfect in it. Congrats!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It really is pretty! Fantastic setting, congrats!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!

Its stunning. Do I spy rose gold, or is my monitor playing tricks on me?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring. I love the detail on the mount, and the emerald appears to be a very pretty color. Well done!
36.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Very, very pretty!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It''s gorgeous! I especially love the setting.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks! It is actually yellow gold. I had to mess with the colors in the emerald picture to make it the color I see. I kept showing more blue then green, and in reality it is a very intense green with a hint of blue.

Checked it with a gemologist, and it is natural colombian. Now I just have to get it sized and wear it around! LOL

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is very, very pretty. I love the setting. All the detail is really nice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2010 2:38:45 PM
Author: RockHugger
Thanks! It is actually yellow gold. I had to mess with the colors in the emerald picture to make it the color I see. I kept showing more blue then green, and in reality it is a very intense green with a hint of blue.

Checked it with a gemologist, and it is natural colombian. Now I just have to get it sized and wear it around! LOL
Be very careful who sizes it. The problem is that if you size the ring, it could stress the emerald. You should probably have the stone removed and then put back in after the sizing is done. Emeralds are very prone to stress fractures when setting, them or when a ring is sized. Also, make sure who ever sets or sizes your rings keeps it very very very far away from a US cleaner.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2010 2:38:45 PM

Just curious, how can you tell it is Colombian in origin? What are the tell tale signs?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, I took pictures of the inclusions in the stone, and put them on my Ipod for the gemmo to see (so I dont get charged for 'testing'). She said the inclusions are 'usually' found in colombia. She said the crystals are a give away. Taken under 120xmag. Only one can be seen with the eye but it is under the girdle. She also said, by the looks of the pictures, there isnt any evidence of oiling either but cant say for sure inless she looks at it herself (and I have to pay for).

eminclusionsksps.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
more..

eminclusionsksps1.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
one more :D

eminclusionsksps2.JPG

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring and emerald. I want to know your secret in finding the things you do. You are one good shopper.

Thanks,

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2010 4:14:23 PM
Well, I took pictures of the inclusions in the stone, and put them on my Ipod for the gemmo to see (so I dont get charged for ''testing''). She said the inclusions are ''usually'' found in colombia. She said the crystals are a give away. Taken under 120xmag. Only one can be seen with the eye but it is under the girdle. She also said, by the looks of the pictures, there isnt any evidence of oiling either but cant say for sure inless she looks at it herself (and I have to pay for).
It may have been oiled long ago, but dred up since then. Emeralds need to be reoiled every few years or so, or it dries up. Consider it an "oil change." LOL! I know, bad joke!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
according to the seller, it is from 1930s so I am sure it would have dried up by now, LOL. Actually I see no reason to reoil it. THe only surface reaching inclusion is a small crack on the table, but it looks to be just on the surface, not going into the stone, and its only visable when the table reflects light. ALl other inclusions (other then the crystal) are not eye visable at all. It just has a slight sillky look to it from the micro inclusions.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a better photo of the clarity

emeraldksps12.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome!

I would like to know the secret, too! Is it many hours on the Internet?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lol no I don''t spend hrs on the Internet. I guess I am just in the right place at the right time.
I made a huge sale and wanted to get a ring, and saw this one right off the bat, and it felt right.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, what a beautiful ring - I love it and hope to have one like it someday! congrats on such a great find, IMO it''s getting harder to find vintage/antique rings in such pristine condition.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
RH - it''s lovely! I really appreciate that you post very magnified pictures of your emerald, too!
1.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Great ring, I love vintage jewelry.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got it sized :D it took 4 jewelers to find one who would touch it. Noone would size it out of fear of damaging the stone. The jeweler that did it let me watch him the whole time, and explained every action he did. I sold him I wanted as little of the engraving effected as possible, and he did a great job with avoiding damaging it. A small portion of the milligraining at the sizing site was polished out, but there was nothing that could be done, and I want to wear the ring. He told me right off he won''t u/s it or steam it.

He also looked at the emerald and said it looked Colombian, and he didn''t see any treatment either.

So I''m wearing it now and loving it :D!!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2010 2:02:52 PM

So I''m wearing it now and loving it :D!!!!!

Well my dear, you know what that means? Hand shots!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results