shape
carat
color
clarity

My Negligible Fluorescent diamond looks blue in direct sunlight

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FairfieldGirl

Rough_Rock
I need some advice. I recently bought a D color diamond with strong blue fluorescence and was unhappy with it. So I exchanged it for for an F color diamond with Negligible Fluorescence. However, In direct sunlight, it looks blue! Can this blue light occur with colorless diamonds in sunlight even though the document says negligible fluorescence? I''m a little concerned.

(I''m pretty sure I received the right diamond as it was weighed in front of me and bought it from a trusted dealer).

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well cut diamonds reflect the colors around them. if you have the diamond outside under the big blue sky, it can look very blue.
here is a photo i took outside of an ''h'' color diamond with no fluorescence

drblue.JPG

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Belle, is it just reflecting the blue from the sky?

Tracy

FairfieldGirl

Rough_Rock
It could just be the reflection from the sky. But my impression was that colorless diamonds emit a white light in the sun?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 1:58:56 PM
Author: tracys126
Belle, is it just reflecting the blue from the sky?

Tracy
yes it is.
3.gif
the diamond looks white in pretty much all other lighting, but outside on a sunny day....it looks blue!
3.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 2:54:33 PM
Author: FairfieldGirl
It could just be the reflection from the sky. But my impression was that colorless diamonds emit a white light in the sun?
they don''t ''emit'' light, they reflect light. if you have the diamond outside in full sun under a blue sky, you will see blue. unless the stone is really cut poorly, then it will not effeciently reflect light from the surroundings.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 3:15:29 PM
Author: belle

Date: 4/10/2006 2:54:33 PM
Author: FairfieldGirl
they don''t ''emit'' light, they reflect light. if you have the diamond outside in full sun under a blue sky, you will see blue. unless the stone is really cut poorly, then it will not effeciently reflect light from the surroundings.
Building on that, if you have your colorless diamond in a yellow bathroom for example, your diamond might just have a tint of yellow to it
3.gif
. Or if you are wearing a brighly colored shirt, etc.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
And if you want to make sure the fluor in your diamond is slight, use a black light in a darkened room
1.gif

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
Maybe I am misinformed or misunderstood, but the explanation I received when discussing the pros and cons of having some flur. in a diamond is that the better the color of the stone the more likely you are to notice insituations like you describe. I was also explained that some flur. in stones with more color it might actually "improve" the color and make it appear less yellow.

I am by no mean an expert, this was the simple explanation I received and there are way more qualified infdiviaduals that could chim in with more accurate info, but what I described has always made sense to me.

BTW a diamond reflecting a little blue in the sunlight doesn''t sound like a problem to me! I am sure it sparkles brilliantly.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
It''s not just the blue sky that your diamond reflects either! For example, when I am wearing pink or red outside and I look down at my diamond, it flashes blue and red or whatever color I''m wearing...so don''t worry it''s a good thing that your diamond reflects the blue sky (really pretty IMHO
30.gif
)

Small

Brilliant_Rock
My diamond reflects just a hint of purple/blue and it has faint flur when seen under a black light by appraiser Richard Sherwood. I actually quite enjoy this look. I don''t think it''s a bad thing at all but to each their own. I really like the picture posted with the blue reflection...WOW
30.gif

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 10:45:20 AM
Author:FairfieldGirl
I need some advice. I recently bought a D color diamond with strong blue fluorescence and was unhappy with it. So I exchanged it for for an F color diamond with Negligible Fluorescence. However, In direct sunlight, it looks blue! Can this blue light occur with colorless diamonds in sunlight even though the document says negligible fluorescence? I''m a little concerned.

(I''m pretty sure I received the right diamond as it was weighed in front of me and bought it from a trusted dealer).

Fancy Blue Diamonds cost 10 times more then colorless diamonds. You should be happy that you got a bargain.
31.gif

Joker....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results