shape
carat
color
clarity

My Montana Sapphire Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

YogoHunt

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am new to this forum, thanks for having me!

I have a gemstone story I hope you will enjoy...

Of course it all starts with the girl. I am turning 39 in a few days and so glad I stayed unmarried until I met Jenn. We'd been together a few years and it was time to propose.

Then I came across a 1991 issue of National Geographic at the coffee shop that featured an article on Montana sapphires. Internet research followed and discovered a couple of places where one can dig for their own sapphires (or at least pick through the mine concentrate). I asked Jenn if she would appreciate a sapphire I mined myself as much as a bought diamond for an engagement ring, and she said she preferred the sapphire, besides her favorite color is blue. So I decided to take a trip to Montana and try my luck at Rock Creek and Spokane Bar. Why not? Fun for me, romantic for Jenn, a good story...

Then I became aware of the Yogo sapphire. Read a wonderful book about the history of the area, the mine and the gemstone. I realized this was the stone for Jenn, a cornflower blue natural sapphire. The more I read and the more photos I viewed, the more I knew I wanted to find a Yogo. They are stunning, native to the US, rare, a challenge! And I found them to be RARE and EXPENSIVE. The only stones I could find retail were either very small, or very very expensive. The Yogo dike yields very few roughs over 1 carat, and even fewer that can be cut to over 1 carat. Hmmmm...

I found a Lewiston newspaper article about the mine & a new investor who was expanding the Vortex operations at the west end of the dike. A woman was mentioned as a spokesperson for the new mine operator. A search of her name revealed a Linkedin account, which referenced a business in Great Falls. A search of the business netted a website and a general email address. So I sent an email stating my intentions to propose, my plan to do so with a Yogo, and my desire to get as close to the source as possible. I asked "info@..." for advice - can I buy a rough? Can I mine my own? Help!

I received a wonderful reply from the woman quoted in the article! she informed me that she was very surprised I found her and that she had the mine owners inventory in her care. Not used to selling yogos retail (she's a wholesaler), she agreed to meet me and show me the Yogo sapphires, and to sell me one with the blessing of the mine operator. I just had to meet her in a vault in Montana...

So my buddy and I went for it. we drove from California to Helena, got a hotel room and settled in. The next morning we drove to Great Falls and I was thrilled to view an amazing collection of Yogos. I decided to go with the .80 cushion cut, it was just so mesmerizing and lively. I've included a photo in this post.

Then, we drove to the mine! I was a long trek into the middle-of-nowhere Montana, down dirt roads and through frontier towns, but we got there! I took some photos of tollgate and the entrance to the AMAX Mine property. It is beautiful country and I wish we could have camped at old Yogo Village for a night, but we had to head back. It was a thrill to trace the route my little yogo took from the mine to Great Falls and to me!

The following day we had fun (and worked HARD) digging for some fancies at the Spokane Bar mine near Helena. Found a nice little pale blue sapphire there that I had faceted into a pretty little oval in Los Angeles.

5 days, 2500 miles, one Yogo and a fantastic story for the (eventual) kids!
9.gif

I'll post the ring once I get it all sorted... I'm thinking a three-stone setting with a couple of diamonds... Hope she says yes!

Thanks for listening!

Yogo 80 cush AAA.JPG

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Awesome story. Big points to you for going WAY above and beyond. I was happy to read this quote:

"I asked Jenn if she would appreciate a sapphire I mined myself as much as a bought diamond for an engagement ring, and she said she preferred the sapphire, besides her favorite color is blue."

It's always nice to have someone who appreciates the non-main stream.

When I first started reading you post, I thought you were going to say you mined the thing yourself, which of course would have made me a loser
3.gif
(I just got engaged too)

Congrats!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great story.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great story. I do hope you return with pictures of the finished ring. Yogos are beautiful sapphires and would make a perfect engagement ring!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That really is a sweet story, and I bet your fiance will just light up with pride and joy telling it to people! You'll definitely be in the running for "most thoughtfully romantic fiance of the year" award.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Very cute and romantic, and you''ll have a great story to tell to your children/grandchildren. Please post pictures of the ring once done.
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
That''s beautiful, and what a great story!

Funny enough, I was at a jewelry store looking at some Yogos - I''m thinking of purchasing 5 or so 10-pointers to be part of an eternity ring later. They are beautiful stones!

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Lovely story, a true ''keeper''
30.gif
congrats!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Love the story of your hunt for the perfect stone for your bride...I know she will be thrilled!

That will be a tough act to follow later, though!
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all the thought, effort and sentiment behind it, how can any lady say "no"? Thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us. Can you share with us the mm size and carat weight of the stone? It looks like a cushion cut?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful story. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the ring, and of your lovely wife-to-be wearing it.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
It is great the amount of thought and effort you have put ito your future fiance''s engagement ring, You sound like a really sweet guy, Definitely come back and show the completed ring.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like a fairy tale, or a myth. And I thought that days of heroes that would go to the underworld (a mine in this case) for their beloved ones were over! And what a beautiful stone!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
this is a great story. thank you for sharing
you did something very unique here =) well done!

Mom2SF

Rough_Rock
I enjoyed reading your story very much. Best wishes!!!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting your story! Definitely gives your future fiancee bragging rights when she tells her friends about your adventure. Please come back and post ring shots when you have them!

Date: 12/18/2009 9:40:09 PM
Author: Chrono
Can you share with us the mm size and carat weight of the stone? It looks like a cushion cut?

Chrono, the OP posted that it''s a 0.80 ct cushion cut. Don''t know the measurements though.

YogoHunt

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 4:09:38 PM
Author: vinkalmann
Wow! Awesome story. Big points to you for going WAY above and beyond. I was happy to read this quote:

''I asked Jenn if she would appreciate a sapphire I mined myself as much as a bought diamond for an engagement ring, and she said she preferred the sapphire, besides her favorite color is blue.''

It''s always nice to have someone who appreciates the non-main stream.

When I first started reading you post, I thought you were going to say you mined the thing yourself, which of course would have made me a loser
3.gif
(I just got engaged too)

Congrats!

Thank You! It would have been really SOMETHING if i could have dug my own Yogo, but that proved to be impossible. Well, i might have been able to grab a bucket of dirt when I was out there, but as for actually taking the time and effort to really find a nice one like I bought, that was not an option. Most of the dike there is claimed by one of two big operations, although there are a number of locals with hand tool only claims on a small portion of the sapphire-bearing dike. I would have had to have a connection to someone who owns property in Sapphire Village (each lot in the "town" comes with a mining claim on that small portion of the dike), and get VERY lucky. I felt fortunate enough to find the one I did and buy it!

I saw your ring, that is a beautiful sapphire! Congratulations!
9.gif

YogoHunt

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 9:40:09 PM
Author: Chrono
With all the thought, effort and sentiment behind it, how can any lady say ''no''? Thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us. Can you share with us the mm size and carat weight of the stone? It looks like a cushion cut?

Thank you! Here are the measurements... .80 carat Yogo AAA Cushion Cut 6.74 x 4.81 x 2.55 mm

YogoHunt

Rough_Rock
Here''s a picture of the Yogos from which I chose mine:

from L-R:
.83 emerald cut AA+
.80 cushion cut AAA (mine!!)
.71 fancy pear AA+
.70 emerald cut AA
.62 oval cut AA
.59 round brilliant AA+

Awesome!!!

Yogolineup.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You certainly seem to have picked the nicest of the lot.
2.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
You did pick the nicest of the lot. That is going to be a gorgeous ring, and what an AMAZING story. Can''t wait to see pics of the finished ring!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any inkling of what will be the setting?

YogoHunt

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 1:56:55 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Any inkling of what will be the setting?

I took Jenn by a Jewelers last week to look at settings. They had a trunk show going on, and I had been by earlier in the week looking at settings similar to those she has shown me on-line. She had been showing me all of these sleek, modern designs, so you''ll understand my surprise at the one she liked most...

The center stone in the photo is a .33 carat emerald cut diamond, so I think the yogo should really fill it out nicely!

Yogosetting.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank goodness you didn''t pick up an article on the Hope Diamond! That would have been a whole different story!
41.gif

What a wonderful story and such a precious irreplaceable gemstone! I hope you and Jenn have a very very long and happy life together.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks quite pretty, can''t wait to see it all come together!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed your story and you have a lovely sapphire.

YogoHunt

Rough_Rock
Or like this...

Yogosetting2.png

YogoHunt

Rough_Rock
Or this one...

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you all for the nice supportive replies!!

Yogoset3.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I much prefer the last two designs you''ve posted. Especially the one with "wings" - I live settings that are slightly different to the norm and this fits the bill for me!

YogoHunt

Rough_Rock
Here''s a better picture of the first one. It''s a Christopher Designs model. The shape of the ring looks to me to really compliment the antique cushion cut of the yogo. Funny how I am shopping this now and I still have a couple of payments left on the stone!

Yogocd.png

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results