shape
carat
color
clarity

My latest projects

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been a busy PSers these last days (although not posting much - sorry!)

I couldn''t resist this piece of tourmaline rough, from a vendor I trust (and others I trust recommend). It is huge (74cts) and I hope to be able to get a nice bicolour from it (pink and blue, my favourite colour combination), as well as one or two smaller gems. I am not sure how clean they will turn out, but I decided to take a gamble. It is from the Steward Mine, in Pala. It is on its way to Bob Kast, for a good cut.

tourmrough1.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another view.

The vendor mentions that one side isn''t as clean, but should yield a nice cat''s eye. Yumm!

tourmrough3.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since I was looking at rough, I decided to risk this piece of moonstone as well. It was sold as facet grade, but I plan on cabbing it, for a very fine cab. Either a nice pair for earrings or pendant.

moonstonerough.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And, finally, a nice piece of hackmanite, which should yield a faceted stone and a cab. I love hackmanite and I wanted a larger one ever since I got my tiny stone.

hackrough2.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And the pale colour as well. It is 6cts.

I am not sure what I am getting myself into or if any of these will cut good stones, but I am having a great time! I can''t wait for these to get to Bob and to hear his opinion of them.

hackrough1.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Those are some really nice pieces, especially the moonstone! Looking forward to seeing end results.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad to hear you say so, Ma Re. I confess I am wondering if I got in over my head on these. After all, the seller could have had them cut just as easily as I and sold them for a better profit.

Fingers crossed!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting pieces of rough, Lady D. I agree that I’d rather cab the moonstone even if it is facetable. I think it’s going to turn out great. As for the hackmanite and bi-colour tourmaline, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Bob will be able to work his magic on them.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I will be following this with great interest! Bob cut my JXR amethyst rough, and I was pretty pleased. Do you have any idea what shapes you''d like to have?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look really cool!! Congrats!!

When I read your first sentance I thought you''d take up gemstone cutting!! And in a way I guess you have.
9.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/2/2009 2:27:00 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Those look really cool!! Congrats!!

When I read your first sentance I thought you''d take up gemstone cutting!! And in a way I guess you have.
9.gif
Perhaps some day... Right now, I need to master metal first
1.gif
I think cutting must be fascinating.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/1/2009 6:53:00 PM
Author: cellentani
I will be following this with great interest! Bob cut my JXR amethyst rough, and I was pretty pleased. Do you have any idea what shapes you''d like to have?
I am hoping for an emerald cut on the tourmaline, showing both colours and an oval pink cat''s eye. For the hackmanite, whatever maximizes the yield on the facetable part - a good faceted hackmanite is hard to find!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The moonstone looks glowy!! I''m hoping Bob can work his magic on your stones. It''s exciting to have your own piece of rough worked on. I''m still trying to find someone to cut my Afghan tourmaline (you have to be very careful cutting those stones apparently).

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have seen photos of your stone and I can understand why you are worried.

I know that Dan Stair and Tony (TheGemDoctor) also work with client rough.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results