shape
carat
color
clarity

My idea... but need help with the finer details!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MikeAth

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I''ve been lurking in the background reading different bits of the forums for a while now, and thought I''d run my proposal idea past you and see what you thought! My gf is a History student doing a Masters in Birmingham (England) and we''ve been going out 3.5yrs now. I think she would definitely like to get married, and she''s definitely the girl for me!

I have told her to book a whole week off work, as this idea ties in with a holiday. It might seem a bit much but the proposal itself is only one night really.
I have booked the best room in Amberly castle near the South coast for a night - the castle is 900 years old so will hopefully appeal to my gf''s historical nature (see pic below)

Castle

We will have dinner there and it''s a suit and tie sort of affair and I thought I would pop the question just before we go to dinner as she wouldn''t appreciate being embarrassed in a restaurant or public place. So chances are I''ll be on bended knee in the hotel room just before we head down to the restaurant......The problem is, I don''t know exactly how to say it! I''m not rubbish with words or anything, but I would like to do it in a way which is personal and perhaps a bit of a laugh... any suggestions gratefully received!

The next day we''ll have a meeting at a jewellers where I''ve had a ring designed and Ruth can have her say before it''s actually made (I have the diamond though so will have at least something to show for myself!!)... after that there''s a theatre show I know she really wants to see in the west end of London, and the next day we''ll head to Paris for a few days.

Thanks for reading!
1.gif

Mike

hughsie

Rough_Rock
This is a lovely plan! Have you ever talked together about getting married? That might give you a way in to the asking bit, and will mean she''s not too overwhelmed by it. I''ve not got any other advice at the minute, but you full marks for romance!

kagordo4

Shiny_Rock
Aw that sounds like a charming idea! If she loves history then this should suit her very well. It means a lot when a man can incorporate something we women are really interested in (other than the hottie one knee in front of us, of course.) BUT! if you need something to say, then start with an historical quote (the history thing again...) while standing then get on one knee and drop those infamous four words.

I like Plato :

“Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.”

or

" He whom love touches not walks in darkness"

OR the Bible maybe? I mean I''m not religious but the quotes are often beautiful:

From 1 Corinthians

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

there is just soooo much in there that you can pick and choose from.

Best of luck!! Let us know what you decide?

MikeAth

Rough_Rock
Will do! hopefully she won''t burst out laughing or start crying would be even worse!!!

We''ve talked about marriage before, but as my own parents wound up getting divorced I''m understandably not too keen! However I would do anything for Ruth
1.gif
... hopefully will be a nice surprise

hughsie

Rough_Rock
As a history graduate, I love kagordo4''s ideas! What time period/place is she expecially interested in? Maybe you could try to come up with something linked to that.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

trems

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''m curious what you are going to use to present the unset diamond?

kagordo4

Shiny_Rock
Have you decided on the date yet? Or any other details coming along for you? Your story is just so touching and meaningful, : )

MikeAth

Rough_Rock
Date will be 1st September, in 3 weeks time!

My GF is an early modern historian studying 16th Century Catholic reform (!) I have everything pretty much set now...

The diamond has its own little presentation box which I will give her, but also I think she would want something to wear (if she says yes!) so I have had one of my mother''s rings polished up which she can keep and wear until hers has been made which will take about a month...

Getting nervous now! Should be great though :)

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds great Mike - keep us posted! Can''t wait to hear about it.

Treefrog

MikeAth

Rough_Rock
Now then.

She said yes!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

I took my (now fi) away to a 900 year old castle in Sussex (England UK) and had booked the best room they had. I asked her pretty much as soon as we had got through the door... I just couldn''t keep it in! I asked her if she knew why I''d brought her there (she didn''t), that I loved her very very much and would she marry me etc... and that if she said yes I had presents! (on one knee of course) I gave her the sketches I had done and the diamond... all in all at first she was too shocked for words but nodded a yes (and later told me she is very happy about it lol but was a VERY big shock).

We then had a ridiculously posh but nice dinner etc and all was well. Next day we went to the jewellers to finalise the design and saw a west end show in london then headed to paris for a rew days.

:)

Mike

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Sounds wonderful, congratulations!!! Will you be posting pictures?
9.gif

MikeAth

Rough_Rock
will do shortly yes :)

Just waiting for the ring to be made now!

It is a 3mm 18ct white gold band with a celtic infinity symbol engraved around the outside. The diamond will be an 0.5ct H SI diamond which has a slight blue flourescence - pretty!

MikeAth

Rough_Rock
As promised a few pictures! Hope they're not too big... I'll post one up of the actual ring once it arrives in 4 weeks time
9.gif

The shock says it all! The first pic is right after I asked her...
The second is what the designer ppl came up with based on what I asked for.. no. 1 is the one we've gone for...

Thanks guys for all your help on here

35.gif

Mike

*Edit: Being a newbie I'm having trouble with the multiple picture upload type stuff. I don't want to triple post, so I'll post up one of the ring design a bit later
1.gif

MikeAth100_0273.JPG

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the engagement!!!! She looks soooo beautiful and happy!!!

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! We won''t mind if you post more pics, go ahead! :)

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Mike! Lovely Bride-to-be!
21.gif

Post away with those pictures, that''s our favorite part!!!
36.gif

MikeAth

Rough_Rock
This is one of the ring design which the jeweller came up with based on what I thought my fi would like - thankfully I got it right! We are going for no. 1. I''ll post up a pic of the actual ring once it arrives in about 3 week time :)

MikeAth00272123665215.jpg

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to see it!! It''s such a cool, unique, and pretty design!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is beautiful and I am sure the ring will be, too! What a sweet proposal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results