shape
carat
color
clarity

My Hoover vacuum kicked the bucket

soocool

Ideal_Rock
so now I am in the market for a new vacuum cleaner. I also have an ancient Electrolux (my mom's and is over 30 years old) that doesn't suck as well as it used to.

I am seriously looking at the Miele Galaxy (either the Polaris or Neptune) vacuums and wonder if anyone on here owns one. I like the fact that it is quiet, lightweight (I cannot carry heavy vacs up and down the stairs), can do a 360 on its casters, and has 6 variable speeds.

I do not have any plush carpets in my home, mainly hardwood and tile, berber in the family room, and carpet runners (very low pile). I don't have to worry about dog fur as my dog does not shed.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Miele is my favorite. My grandfather owns one.
I don't like Kirby (sorry, I know a lot of people do). My mother has had several. I owned one. They're very heavy.
I like Sears for a mid-priced vacuum.
If all you have to do is use it for your car (doesn't apply to you) cannister vacs are inexpensive and work OK.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a Miele canister vacuum (just looked and it's the Polaris) and I am in love with it. It works so well and it's super light and quiet. I can actually talk on the phone while I vacuum and the person I'm talking to can barely hear it. They're more pricey but last forever and work so well. I highly recommend Miele!

ETA I also have all hardwoods and a few low pile area rugs and it works great. I have 3 cats and it's great for picking up their fur, too. Some vacuums don't do a good job and blow the fur all over the place, but the Miele doesn't.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1294029891|2812893 said:
I have a Miele canister vacuum (just looked and it's the Polaris) and I am in love with it. It works so well and it's super light and quiet. I can actually talk on the phone while I vacuum and the person I'm talking to can barely hear it. They're more pricey but last forever and work so well. I highly recommend Miele!

ETA I also have all hardwoods and a few low pile area rugs and it works great. I have 3 cats and it's great for picking up their fur, too. Some vacuums don't do a good job and blow the fur all over the place, but the Miele doesn't.

Did you but any additional attachments for your Polaris? I was thinking about getting the parquet floor brush in addition to the floor attachment that is included or do you think it would be a waste of money?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I need a new vacuum, so I'm reading this thread with interest. I just went out to look up the Miele Galaxy Polaris, and because I shop fairly often at Amazon, and they usually have lots of reviews, I went there first. Looks like a well-liked vac, BUT...the official review had this wording...

"...The well-appointed S4 Galaxy Series is light in weight and has everything an advanced vacuum cleaner should offer and more. Why not explore the excitement and the difference a Miele S4 vacuum cleaner can make in your home? "

OK, I'm sure this is a great vacuum and all, but at no point in my adult life has it ever occurred to me to put the word "vacuum" and "excitement" in the same sentence. "Difference" is a bit odd too, since the only "difference" I can think of is less dirt vs more dirt.

Maybe I'm just not getting it? OMG. I'm thinking that my life is not as great as I thought it was! :-o Maybe I need therapy?? :-o

Oh...sorry....got carried away. ;))

(seriously, it does sound like a nice vac, gets good reviews, and I need a new one. I just get tickled at marketing hype at times)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Ksinger, I found a number of places near me that carry the Miele and the only reason I inquired was because of how much it would cost to fix my Hoover (not worth the money to fix). I see an online price of $399.00 for the Polaris and have read many great reviews (epinions, etc). I will see if one of the vac places carries this model and will test drive it hopefully within the next 2 weeks.

Oh, about therapy, I think my DH needs it. He has a love affair with the Keurig!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I just found a dealer very near me, so, since I'm off today, I may go out and see if it sucks or not. ;)) If I do, I'll report back and tell you what I think of it.

labellavita81

Shiny_Rock
We have a Dyson and I love it! I recommend those.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Miele as well. It is the capricorn model. I wanted the variable speed on the handle. I also bought the stair
turbo brush. I really like it. It comes with a floor brush that I use on my tile floors. It is a little positional, meaning I have to get
the hole right over what I want to pick up at times, but it gets under my cabinets well. I would buy another if this broke.
I have my moms electrolux that is about 40 years old and we use that for the cars! The electrolux aren't made as well anymore,
and the new ones that you can find at Lowe's or other retailers are made by hoover. Although I am a hoover fan of the Spin brush,
and their carpet cleaner, I am not a fan of their vacuums.

Socool, the vacuum is light enough to carry up the stairs and will sit on the stairs if you are vacuuming them. It is not heavy and
rolls easily behind you. The only problem with it is vacuuming is still work! :naughty: If they could make it sing and dance behind
you, that would be nice. hehe.

One of the models was a consumer reports best buy. I am not sure which it was. It was a mid range model. The one I bought was
about 1000. It had bag indicators and a few extra feature on it that I liked. I planned on keeping it for a long time, (till it dies)
and had heard of folks that had one for more than ten years, so I went for it. I have had mine about 2 years, with no problems.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Dyson, the yellow one. It was a gift from the ILs, and we love it. The best part is that it is bagless, and you can see when it's too full. I also think it has a strong sucker. One thing I dislike is that I don't know how to clean the dirt out of one part of the vaccuum. Some parts you can detach and rinse/wash in the sink or whatever. Admittedly, I haven't exactly researched how to clean the other parts, but I have taken a long wooden skewer to loosen the dirt and then shake it out...

Overall, love the vaccuum part of it, still need to figure out how to clean the vaccuum (seems odd I'm trying to figure out how to clean the cleaning device.....?) Dunno if that really helps. LOL.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is the Dyson Slim and I adored it up until about a month ago when the hose attachment quit working. DH says he's going to have to take it apart to fix it.

We used one of those BB&B coupons and got 20% off. Sometimes the coupons say doesn't include Dyson but we lucked out and found one that didn't say that. We still paid $400 with 9.5% tax! I'm mad the attachment quit working. Piece of crap.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1294073517|2813207 said:
Mine is the Dyson Slim and I adored it up until about a month ago when the hose attachment quit working. DH says he's going to have to take it apart to fix it.

We used one of those BB&B coupons and got 20% off. Sometimes the coupons say doesn't include Dyson but we lucked out and found one that didn't say that. We still paid $400 with 9.5% tax! I'm mad the attachment quit working. Piece of crap.

We have one too...it's been working well for years now, but it does seem lately the hose doesn't have as much suction. Hm. I do love it though.

My MIL is a believer in Miele, so if the Dyson every poops out, I'd probably take a look at those too.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1294074296|2813218 said:
MC|1294073517|2813207 said:

We have one too...it's been working well for years now, but it does seem lately the hose doesn't have as much suction. Hm. I do love it though.

My MIL is a believer in Miele, so if the Dyson every poops out, I'd probably take a look at those too.

I'm not sure how old ours is. I remember buying it...if I do a search here on PS, I can check to see when I did buy it (isn't that hilarous?)...it's like PS is a diary of my life.

I tried whispering sweet nothings into its ear, but it's still being a jerk. It wouldn't really matter but I need it to properly clean around the literbox and the only alternative is a broom which will kick up dust! GRRR....!!!!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I also have a Miele. It's perfect for hardwoods.

I got the cheapest one, the Olympus S2 ($300 on Amazon), but I added the parquet floor twister ($70) based on the reviews. I use the parquet add-on for my wood floors and the attachment it came with for my rugs. It's not a cheap vacuum, but oh is it fun to use!

P.S. But it's true that the cord is really short. Something to keep in mind if you move from room to room a lot.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
soocool|1294057366|2813050 said:
thing2of2|1294029891|2812893 said:

Did you but any additional attachments for your Polaris? I was thinking about getting the parquet floor brush in addition to the floor attachment that is included or do you think it would be a waste of money?

I didn't buy any attachments and I'm happy with what it comes with. I don't think I even realized there were other attachments...ha! Maybe just order the vacuum and if you feel like you need a better wood floor cleaner get the parquet floor brush? I ordered mine online from Amazon. I forget which storefront it was from, but the store had great reviews.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's funny, mine has a really long cord. Longer than my electrolux.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
DH and I just bought a Miele S2 Series Continuum. We got it during a Boxing week sale at 100 $ off. It has all the features you like and it works really great on carpets with animal hair. The HEPA filter is great and doesn't loose suction. I hope you find one that you love, I know the vacuuming chore sucks (no pun intended) even more.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Finally! A subject I know a lot about. I am seriously a vacuum addict. I've owned every kind of vacuum ever made...not kidding here. I probably need therapy... :wink2:

My hands down favorite is a Meile cansiter. I currently own two, a Capricorn and a White Star....I actualy own three--but I can't remember what the green Meile canister is called...lol. I only get the kind with the electric heads...the turbo ones are okay but not as good as the electric head ones. I don't care for the Melie uprights at all.

I got rid of my Dyson. Yes it's a good vacuum but it does loose suction when the cansiter is only half full. Also bagless vacuums blow dust all over the place--even when meticulously clean--which means taking the entire thing apart and scrubbing it frequently--gross! :shock: My cleaning person always used the Meile but one day she started using the Dyson and used it for about three weeks. I noticed the house was a lot dustier and so did she. I had her switch back to the Meile with it's hepa vacuum bag...HUGE difference.

I've also owned a Sanitaire which is a commercial brand of vaccum cleaner--lots of hotels use these. It's an upright and great on carpet. I use it in the basement, which is finished and carpeted. lso owned a Kirby...tway too heavy and numerous Hoovers, etc....

Seriously, friends come over and love to run my vaccums...to see which one is best. Hands down, the Meile Capricorn. It can suck a cat off the third stair above where you are sweeping.... :wink2:

Oh and I also love those scent tablets you put in the vacuum bag...makes the whole house smell clean and especially great if you have pets. The ones I use are made by Home Care Inc...and are in a blue and white package with the name Scent Tablets. My friends always comment on how good my vacuum cleaner smells too...lol.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I have a dyson ball, and LOVE it! FI bought it, because we would get a $100 or so vacuum, and after a year or so it would would just start not working. It's been really great, it's super easy to use, and really light. I also like the fact taht you don't have to get new filters all the time.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
megumic|1294070208|2813168 said:
I have a Dyson, the yellow one. It was a gift from the ILs, and we love it. The best part is that it is bagless, and you can see when it's too full. I also think it has a strong sucker. One thing I dislike is that I don't know how to clean the dirt out of one part of the vaccuum. Some parts you can detach and rinse/wash in the sink or whatever. Admittedly, I haven't exactly researched how to clean the other parts, but I have taken a long wooden skewer to loosen the dirt and then shake it out...

Overall, love the vaccuum part of it, still need to figure out how to clean the vaccuum (seems odd I'm trying to figure out how to clean the cleaning device.....?) Dunno if that really helps. LOL.

I agree. We have a Dyson too, and while I like it because it picks up a lot of stuff (and you can see the canister filling up), the hose is kind of hard to clean out. We just did this, actually. We had to use a long-handled wooden spoon to get the stuff out of the house.

The other thing I don't like so much is the wand that is supposedly good for using with the detached hose to clean hard to reach places. Maybe I should look at the manual again because I might be missing something.

For the money, if I was to get another vacuum, I'd consider the Miele.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1294101840|2813622 said:
That's funny, mine has a really long cord. Longer than my electrolux.

I read that the cord length is 18 feet and if I measured my electrolux correctly it was either 17 or 18 feet which is fine with me. Hopefully I can go look at one soon, probably not this week.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1294067820|2813143 said:
I have a Miele as well. It is the capricorn model. I wanted the variable speed on the handle. I also bought the stair
turbo brush. I really like it. It comes with a floor brush that I use on my tile floors. It is a little positional, meaning I have to get
the hole right over what I want to pick up at times, but it gets under my cabinets well. I would buy another if this broke.
I have my moms electrolux that is about 40 years old and we use that for the cars! The electrolux aren't made as well anymore,
and the new ones that you can find at Lowe's or other retailers are made by hoover. Although I am a hoover fan of the Spin brush,
and their carpet cleaner, I am not a fan of their vacuums.

Socool, the vacuum is light enough to carry up the stairs and will sit on the stairs if you are vacuuming them. It is not heavy and
rolls easily behind you. The only problem with it is vacuuming is still work! :naughty: If they could make it sing and dance behind
you, that would be nice. hehe.

One of the models was a consumer reports best buy. I am not sure which it was. It was a mid range model. The one I bought was
about 1000. It had bag indicators and a few extra feature on it that I liked. I planned on keeping it for a long time, (till it dies)
and had heard of folks that had one for more than ten years, so I went for it. I have had mine about 2 years, with no problems.

That is what I really need. Currently it is a B*tch to clean the stairs so I rarely do or make DH do it.

About the Electrolux, I had to get a new hose for it and a good one costs around $100.00 (second time it had to be replaced). The guy at the vac place told me Electrolux was bought out and the quality is not there anymore. He is the one who recommended the Miele to me last year. I was waiting for my Hoover to die before considering getting a Miele. I just hope he has the one I want so I can "test drive" it .

soocool

Ideal_Rock
MyDiamondSparkles|1294106873|2813706 said:
Finally! A subject I know a lot about. I am seriously a vacuum addict. I've owned every kind of vacuum ever made...not kidding here. I probably need therapy... :wink2:

My hands down favorite is a Meile cansiter. I currently own two, a Capricorn and a White Star....I actualy own three--but I can't remember what the green Meile canister is called...lol. I only get the kind with the electric heads...the turbo ones are okay but not as good as the electric head ones. I don't care for the Melie uprights at all.

I got rid of my Dyson. Yes it's a good vacuum but it does loose suction when the cansiter is only half full. Also bagless vacuums blow dust all over the place--even when meticulously clean--which means taking the entire thing apart and scrubbing it frequently--gross! :shock: My cleaning person always used the Meile but one day she started using the Dyson and used it for about three weeks. I noticed the house was a lot dustier and so did she. I had her switch back to the Meile with it's hepa vacuum bag...HUGE difference.

I've also owned a Sanitaire which is a commercial brand of vaccum cleaner--lots of hotels use these. It's an upright and great on carpet. I use it in the basement, which is finished and carpeted. lso owned a Kirby...tway too heavy and numerous Hoovers, etc....

Seriously, friends come over and love to run my vaccums...to see which one is best. Hands down, the Meile Capricorn. It can suck a cat off the third stair above where you are sweeping.... :wink2:

Oh and I also love those scent tablets you put in the vacuum bag...makes the whole house smell clean and especially great if you have pets. The ones I use are made by Home Care Inc...and are in a blue and white package with the name Scent Tablets. My friends always comment on how good my vacuum cleaner smells too...lol.

It would then definitely suck up my dog because he always follows the vac around and points out what I miss (Is there a breed of dog that does that?). If he could he would vacuum for me. :lol:

My neighbor has a Rainbow and is trying to sell me on that brand (probably because her nephew sold one to her and she wants to make sure her nephew makes money.) I couldn't believe how much she paid for it around $3000? Believe me her house is not that clean.

DH told me to consider the Dyson and I looked at one and decided it wasn't for me and based on some of the feedback here and elsewhere I have ruled it out. I like the fact that I can add a HEPA to the Miele if I want one, but I think the filter that goes with it would be sufficient. Plus it is good to know about the Scent Tablets - does that mean you use generic bags for your Miele?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have the Dyson animal and an Oreck (not sure the exact model). Hands down the Oreck is a better vacuum for carpet.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miele discontinued model of some years. just seems to go and go......

going to move it upstairs and get rid of the cheapy thing i bought to use up there.

then i'm going to get me a new Miele for downstairs! we are a total tile house, except for wood staircase.

Miele all the way!

MoZo

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
soocool|1294144375|2813892 said:
MyDiamondSparkles|1294106873|2813706 said:

It would then definitely suck up my dog because he always follows the vac around and points out what I miss (Is there a breed of dog that does that?). If he could he would vacuum for me. :lol:

My neighbor has a Rainbow and is trying to sell me on that brand (probably because her nephew sold one to her and she wants to make sure her nephew makes money.) I couldn't believe how much she paid for it around $3000? Believe me her house is not that clean.

DH told me to consider the Dyson and I looked at one and decided it wasn't for me and based on some of the feedback here and elsewhere I have ruled it out. I like the fact that I can add a HEPA to the Miele if I want one, but I think the filter that goes with it would be sufficient. Plus it is good to know about the Scent Tablets - does that mean you use generic bags for your Miele?

No, I use the real Meile bags, you just drop the scent tablets in the bag. I'm a Hepa filter freak....the bags are expensive though, but my vacuum dealer always runs a buy 2 get one free sale on them.

As far as the dog vacuuming...okay now, a LOT of my friends have the Roomba vacuum and they love, love, LOVE it. That's the robot vacuum. One friend did say it takes like 45 minutes to sweep her living room--even though it is a small space, but as long as the robot is doing it she could care a less. My dog is afraid of the sweeper, so it wouldn't work so well for me.

My cleaning person loves her Orek. It's really light weight. I might get one to use in the bathroom...not that I really need another sweeper...but I just can't help myself....lol. :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO a central vac is the only way to fly.

All vacuum bags leak.
If they didn't they expand like balloons and explode.
They all, even HEPA, let the smallest particles out, like mold spores.
They float around the room and land on your furniture and floors or inside your lungs.

A central vac bag leaks too, but the exhaust gets pipped outside via a PVC pipe.
They are ideal for people who have asthma, allergies or anyone who just likes cleaner air - and not having to dust AFTER they vacuum.

They are not that much more expensive than a regular vac.
I installed one in our old house.
One 42 foot hose reaches all 4 corners of our house from one centrally-located outlet.
Some with larger houses find it cheaper to install one on each side of a house than run pipes in several walls.
It's worth looking into.

With a CV there is no motor to lug around.
That means they can design it to work well without being light or quiet.
The fewer conflicting demands on a design the better.

I bought ours Nutone Central Vac at http://www.spaceage-inc.com/

soocool

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1294186025|2814381 said:
IMHO a central vac is the only way to fly.

All vacuum bags leak.
If they didn't they expand like balloons and explode.
They all, even HEPA, let the smallest particles out, like mold spores.
They float around the room and land on your furniture and floors or inside your lungs.

A central vac bag leaks too, but the exhaust gets pipped outside via a PVC pipe.
They are ideal for people who have asthma, allergies or anyone who just likes cleaner air - and not having to dust AFTER they vacuum.

They are not that much more expensive than a regular vac.
I installed one in our old house.
One 42 foot hose reaches all 4 corners of our house from one centrally-located outlet.
Some with larger houses find it cheaper to install one on each side of a house than run pipes in several walls.
It's worth looking into.

With a CV there is no motor to lug around.
That means they can design it to work well without being light or quiet.
The fewer conflicting demands on a design the better.

I bought ours Nutone Central Vac at http://www.spaceage-inc.com/

I am considering a central vac system for our next home. Yes we will be downsizing in less than 10 years. (I already have the property, just need to build the house)

Our current home is 2 story and is 3000 sq ft. I think it would probably cost more than $400.00 to put one in this house. What do you think Kenny?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
So I finally got to the vac place and tested the Miele Polaris and I am in love :love:

It was so quiet and when I ran it over the carpet in the store the suction was phenomenal (thought it was going to suck my rings off my finger. LOL) and it was only on the first setting. I love the telescopic wand since I am tall and won't have to hunch over anymore. I also think that the attachments that come with it are enough for what I need.

I asked the SA if Miele or they ever run a deal on these vacs and she said no, but that she would throw in a set of bags (1 pkg has 4 bags and 2 hepa filters for $40.00). I will bring DH back with me hopefully this weekend and we will get it.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
who cares? I mean, it's only going to sit endlessly in a cupboard and eventually get the hose tangled around the equally unused ironing board...

Oh no wait, that's just me. :bigsmile:

You went with miele? That's what we have, along with a dyson. DH and I both owned a vacuum when we moved in together, so we have two. The miele is great (I'm told).

ETA $400 for central vac? I'd do that in a heartbeat! DH lived briefly in Helsinki and his apartment had that - it was incredible. I actually used it and didn't hate it at all. I'm not a great lover of domestic chores, so that says a lot. If it was available here and could be fitted to my house, I'd have it, no question. So much easier and so much cleaner.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results