shape
carat
color
clarity

my grandma''s e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been "lurking" for a month or so, but this is my first post! I am waiting for my e-ring re-mount and upgrade (I''ll post pics when I get it next week), but in the meantime, I thought I would practice my photography skills with my grandmother''s engagement ring.

My grandparents were childhood sweethearts who grew up dirt poor in St. John''s, Newfoundland. When my grandpa was 16, he lied about his age so he could join the army, which at that time was the only way that a young man with a grade six education could get off "the Rock." My grandma stayed behind and graduated highschool, a feat at the time, and then tought for a year. When she was 18, my grandpa came back and proposed, and two weeks later they got married on November 11th, 1950.

When I got married in May 2007, my grandma gave me her engagement ring, which she hadn''t worn for years and which I had never seen before. I wore it on my wedding day on a thin gold chain around my neck. It meant so much to me to have a tokin of my grandparents love and enduring relationship so near to my heart as I said my own wedding vows. They celebrated their 57th anniversary this fall.

My grandpa told me that my grandpa paid $50 for the ring. It looks like it is yellow gold, but on the head the gold appears to have worn off and the ring appears more silver. My guess is that the diamond is .02 ct.

Enjoy!

DD

grandmas e-ring 5.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
another view

grandmas e-ring 3.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can see how well worn the ring is from this angle

grandmas e-ring 6.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a lovely ring! I love the history behind it, and your grandparents'' story is so wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing--how special that you wore the ring on your wedding day!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
what a wonderful story and a lovely ring!
Can''t wait to see your other ring!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
another image

grandmas e-ring 4.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
one for the holidays

grandmas e-ring 1.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
and your dachshund is super cute!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a lovely ring and a special story
1.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 5:43:14 PM
Author: coatimundi
and your dachshund is super cute!
Thanks coatmundi! I actually have two long-haired dachshunds, but my other one is a boy and isn''t so interested in jewelry
2.gif

Is your puppy a bichon or maltese or ? I love dogs just a tiny bit more than I love beautiful rings!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooh it''s GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif
This is one of my very favorite styles for rings.

susi

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer, Welcome!!!

I love your pictures and the beautiful story behind them. I can only imagine how much you treasure it.

.........and we have a long hair, like yours.....his name is Oscar, and a short hair who's name is Tommy.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, what a neat ring!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a sweet story and such a special ring!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely ring! It is so pretty--I recently got my great-grandmother''s engagement ring and will be so thankful to be able to wear it on my wedding day as well! Thank you so much for sharing with us!
1.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is so cool that you have your Grandma''s ring! And that you got to wear it for your wedding day
16.gif

Thank you for sharing the ring and the story!

ac719

Shiny_Rock
thats a really sweet story!
12.gif
ring is pretty too!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you are so lucky to have such a special piece! i love heirlooms from relatives with a touching story behind them. it''s a beautiful ring, very unique design.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for all your kind words! I am going to show this post to my grandma the next time I go home, I think it will make her cry! In a good way, I mean.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, double post!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a pretty ring and a beautiful story. Your grandparents have shared such a long and happy life together, that is wonderful! I love the ring and I love that it is so very special to you, I am very sentimental! Wear it in good health always!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
awww the story and the ring are beautiful :)

How wonderful that you had it for your wedding day :)

ulualoha

Shiny_Rock
That''s such an awesome story! My mom was born the same day your grandparents got married!!! I thought that was so neat! The ring your grandpa worked so hard to get is lovely! It was so nice he shared it with you!

ulualoha

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Such a classic. Looks like my grandmothers ring. I wore her wedding set on my right hand when I got married. All my grandparents have passed away, so it was kind of a way to have their "spirit" at our wedding. I love antiquing for that very reason--I love seeing older jewelry and how its so beautifully crafted.

doxielover

Rough_Rock
Lovely ring and lovely dog
1.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Its beautiful. And I love your grandma''s love story! And how sweet and generous that she gave it to you. That is so sweet.

There is something so special about grandmas. I have always been closer to my grandma than my own mother. My grandma is 89 and even though we live over 1,000 miles from each other, we talk almost daily.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Such a sweet story. Love is such a beautiful thing, especially one that transcends time....

I love the ring. My Grandmother left me one very similar to your Grandmother`s and I cherish it very much.

Cachette

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely ring. I just love jewley with a unique story!

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/17/2007 5:39:15 PM
Author:dreamer_dachsie
I have been ''lurking'' for a month or so, but this is my first post! I am waiting for my e-ring re-mount and upgrade (I''ll post pics when I get it next week), but in the meantime, I thought I would practice my photography skills with my grandmother''s engagement ring.

My grandparents were childhood sweethearts who grew up dirt poor in St. John''s, Newfoundland. When my grandpa was 16, he lied about his age so he could join the army, which at that time was the only way that a young man with a grade six education could get off ''the Rock.'' My grandma stayed behind and graduated highschool, a feat at the time, and then tought for a year. When she was 18, my grandpa came back and proposed, and two weeks later they got married on November 11th, 1950.

When I got married in May 2007, my grandma gave me her engagement ring, which she hadn''t worn for years and which I had never seen before. I wore it on my wedding day on a thin gold chain around my neck. It meant so much to me to have a tokin of my grandparents love and enduring relationship so near to my heart as I said my own wedding vows. They celebrated their 57th anniversary this fall.

My grandpa told me that my grandpa paid $50 for the ring. It looks like it is yellow gold, but on the head the gold appears to have worn off and the ring appears more silver. My guess is that the diamond is .02 ct.

Enjoy!

DD
that is a really beautiful story, and quite close to home for me. I was born in Labrador, and spent a good part of my life there. I lived in St. John''s for 2 years. Small world eh?
1.gif
$50.00 back then would have been a really large sum of money, especially for someone in the Military. I love their story.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results