shape
carat
color
clarity

My gem buying session

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Finding coloured stones to buy in Brazil is easy: you can find coloured stone stalls selling overpriced bad stones in any tourist street fair, tourist shops selling overpriced bad stones to tourists, jewellers selling overpriced bad stones to tourists and so on. If you look a little harder, you can find the real dealers selling better stones in small shops, three flights of stairs up in a dingy buildingin the center of town. Many will only do business by appointment. If you are a walk-in, you will pay inflated retail unless you can show a real good knowledge of stones and pricing, in which case you will pay around retail. If you buy quantity and have developed a good reputation (with this dealer or with others who can recommend you to him), then you start getting wholesale.

But for the real deals, you need to get closer to the source and remove a lot of the overhead. Going out to the mines and Teofilo Otoni is great, but even so you can get scalped (notice a trend here?). There is a third way, which is how I get a lot of my stones: itinerant dealers. These guys have partnerships with rough cutters out in Minas Gerais (mostly), who supply them with cut stones. Then, these dealers will do their rounds, calling up designers, shop owners, jewelry houses and so on, telling them they have new stuff. A meeting is set up, usually at the client''s shop, and the gems are shown. After several weeks, they will return to Minas, to settle accounts with all their suppliers and get a new lot of stones.

Itinerant dealers come in many flavours, from very low end all the way to high end, who will sell stones to the important jewellers such as HStern and Amsterdam Sauer. I routinely meet with two: one is mid to low range, with very good prices, and one is higher end (he once showed me the most gorgeous 3ct paraiba, a bargain at $4.000).

Last week, I got word that the mid to low range dealer was back in town. Now, since he was just in, I knew prices would be higher than at the end of the round (when he wants to get rid of as much of his inventory as possible), but fewer people would have picked over it (just the mine owner, rough dealer, cutter, the cutter''s best clients and distributors...). We agreed to meet at a jewelry designer''s house, along with 2 other silversmiths. I like buying with these ladies, as we go for different things (I like small, good colour and clean gems, they go for the huge, often badly coloured and included pieces, which can be set as large pendants) and we can chat, point stuff to each other and discuss designs.

After waiting for over an hour (puntuality is not strong here!), the dealer arrived. As usual, he was carrying a carry-on suitcase stuffed with gem papers. He starts spreading them over all available surfaces (a large work table, several sideboards and so on), piling them over one another, when things get covered. He would asks us if any of us are interested in opaque emerald cabs or aqua or lapis and so on. Ocasionally he would smile and hand a packet straight to one of us, saying with a smile that he knows I love tourmalines or X likes rutile. We have done this many times and he knows our tastes.

I am one of his favourite customers (or so he says
2.gif
, the flirt), because, even though I am not his biggest buyer or close to it, I always loupe all the gems and talk gems to him. He usually has one or two unusual gems he keeps back for me (which once nearly created a cat fight over a parcel of teeny tiny, adorable 0.1 ct alexandrites).

To buy good stones in this situation, it is necessary to be very patient and pick through every parcel, as they are just very roughly sorted (large aquas or medium aquas, with perhaps a gem paper or two with premium aquas). Since a lot of gems are packed together in one paper, they must be looked at closely for chips.

A lot of mid tourmalines are sold as salads. The dealer will hand you a large packet with gems that were all cut from the same crystal or rough parcel. They may or may not have been sorted by shape but never by colour or clarity. Inside, the gems may range from half a carat baby gems to large 5ct stones. You may pay a fixed price for the entire package or pay a pick price per carat. I, of course, always pick. This takes quite a while, as I separate the colours I like in the sizes I want and then start louping for damage and clarity. This can sometimes pay off nicely, as there are sometimes some nice stones in there. Native cuts, of course.

After I pick what I like (with an ocasional query to the price per carat, but I can generally pinpoint what the price range is), I sit down with the dealer and start weighing stones according to the parcels they came from, pricing them and placing them in plastic baggies. And then we haggle. The dealer will usually throw in several of the stones I selected in as freebies (the small citrines or cab tourmaline), we will agree to a lower price per carat for stones from a certain parcel and so on. He will tally up everything, I will explain that it is too much money, I better return some of the stones, which is his cue to give me a final discount on everything and that I will pay him in 2 months time. We shake hands, he hands me my baggies and we drink a final cup of coffee, talking about new finds, treatments and international buyers. He knows that I will deposit him the full amount on the agreed date, so no money changes hand at that moment.

In a few weeks time, when he is about to return home, we will meet again, so I can see what he still has and at what price. I home a certain tourmaline will still be around and very reduced!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This time, I was mainly looking for stones for stone setting practice (both prongs and bezel), which would look nice but that I would be too upset if a graver slipped or if it cracked. I wanted small rounds and cabs.

This is what I got:

- 3 milky aqua cabs, 19 tcw
- a large amethyst, 3 cts
- 26 assorted round tourmalines in nice, bright colours, 14 tcw
- 2 small citrines, 0.5 tcw

These aren''t quite practice stones:
- a teardrop indicolite bicolour tourmaline (not eyeclean, but not terribly included either), 1.5cts
- 2 imperial topaz cabs (included), 9 tcw
- 10 small green paraibas, just under a carat total weight (2 aren''t as nice, but were freeies, so I won''t complain!)

The colours in the photo are terrible! None of the gems are greyish, except the larger round tourmaline (which is a nice blueish grey that reminded me of Freke!). Some of the pinks are very bright, some are a nice peachy hue while the greens range from a peridote like, yellowish green to strong blueish green. The aquas aren''t showstoppers, but they are less grey and more blue.

baggies.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorted by colours.

gemspread.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An absolutely fascinating read - thank you Lady D.

Your "haul" looks lovely. What will you be doing with the non-practice gemstones?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you!

The skinny pear will go on a pendant, hanging from a pink tourmaline. One of the imperial topaz cabs will go on a hair clip. I have no idea what I will do with the paraibas, as they are so tiny. Any ideas?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Great thread LD! I love reading about your gem buying experience, it must be exciting being able to handle lots of gem stones in person, review them closely, ask questions and finally choosing your wares.
11.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. How interesting to read about the process of buying stones locally! Good luck with the practice sets, and I look forward to seeing what you do with everything!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting read! Fascinating, thanks!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I enjoyed reading this Lady D. thank you for taking time to write it
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Interesting read, thanks LadyDistain.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting, and the group shot is very fun!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
What a fascinating account.
Reads like a Hemingway novel.
You have a wonderful gift for description.
And excellent taste.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, lovely account. Thanks!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Great read and some lovely stones!

Regarding paraibas - eternity ring with diamonds is an obvious idea considering their size, but you can also decorate a nice bangle with them (either just the center of it or the entire thing with stones "sprinkled" all around) or do a "v-type of necklace" (now that''s a description
9.gif
) where they''d lead to a (say...) diamond in the center of the necklace. Or you can do one of those circle pendants, or set them on the front side of small hoops, or...OK, this should get you started
2.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting story. I don''t know where you live but do you have to declare your goodies when you return to your own country and do you have to pay duty? Hope this isn''t an awkward question.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what a great story! that sounds like quite the blast to be able to pick your stones like that.

Can''t wait to see what you make with them!

-A

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/6/2009 4:59:49 PM
Author: klewis
Interesting story. I don''t know where you live but do you have to declare your goodies when you return to your own country and do you have to pay duty? Hope this isn''t an awkward question.
Not at all. Since I live in Brazil, I don''t have any customs problems. However, if you aren''t, you will be subject to the import rules of your own country, which, in general, will charge duty if your total purchases are over a certain amount. The dealers I buy from are all legal, stablished businesses who will give you a valid receipt. There should be no problem in taking them back home

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you guys for all the compliments. I was worried it would be too long and boring, so I am very glad it was enjoyed. I know I had a blast both picking gems and writing this review. If anyone comes to São Paulo, I will be glad to introduce you to my dealers.

Date: 12/6/2009 2:11:34 PM
Author: ma re
Great read and some lovely stones!

Regarding paraibas - eternity ring with diamonds is an obvious idea considering their size, but you can also decorate a nice bangle with them (either just the center of it or the entire thing with stones ''sprinkled'' all around) or do a ''v-type of necklace'' (now that''s a description
9.gif
) where they''d lead to a (say...) diamond in the center of the necklace. Or you can do one of those circle pendants, or set them on the front side of small hoops, or...OK, this should get you started
2.gif
Ma Re - those are some nice ideas. Since the colours aren''t well matched, I don''t think an eternity ring would work. I like the idea of scattered stones on a rich gold bangle. That would be yummy! But with gold at such high prices, it would have to wait.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed reading your story and your stones are lovely.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey! That stone reminds me of me too!
3.gif

What a lovely read Lady D! You really have a way with words, and what a great haul!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed your write up very much and wouldn''t mind more of it. How lucky that you are near the source, and also know enough not to be taken for a ride. I like the idea of a scattered stone band for the little cuprians. It''s going to be lovely!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing that with us Lady_D! Great write up and gorgeous stones! That''s quite a haul you made.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results