shape
carat
color
clarity

My friend just broke their jaw and requires surgery - can anyone help with info?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all -

One of my best friends just had their jaw broken. They were not in a fight but got caught by a random punch in a fight that broke out last night. In the wrong place at the wrong time.

The only info that I have right now is that they can''t speak and require surgery. He is a dentist so I''m sure that he will be on top of getting the best care possible. We live in different cities, so I''ve only been able to get limited info from him via text message being as he can''t speak.

I''m just wondering if anyone has any information from a similar type of injury / prognosis / experience, in terms of what''s involved in the surgery, recovery times, and such? I realize that there''s likely a wide range of scenarios with this type of injury, but I feel really helpless sitting here in a different city with such limited information.

Thank you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds like he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My neighbor''s son had his jaw broken in a similar circumstance. He had surgery to reset the bone and they had to use some metal to stabilize the jaw. I''m sure the degree of surgery or repair depends on the amount of injury done to the bone.

He had his jaw wired shut for six weeks to allow for healing. He could use a straw and eat soft foods like Jello and pudding. I think he drank Ensure to make sure he got enough calories. He lost a few pounds but nothing over the top. I''m sure six weeks seems like eternity in that situation but I guess you just have to get through it.

The good news is that he seems good as new - no residual damage or discomfort. They had warned about possible TMJ problems but as far as I know he has had none of that.

Best of luck to your friend - it will be a journey but I''m sure in a few weeks he''ll be just fine. Please keep us posted!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, MGR... it''s helpful to hear stories of others who have been in similar situations. Hopefully I''ll have more information soon. I really appreciate your feedback and good wishes.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your friend is lucky indeed to have a friend like yourself that cares so much. He will be fine in due time I''m sure!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sorry for your friend! I worked in plastics/oral surgery for over a decade and.....

1) the vast majority of patient require "wiring". 6 weeks for stabilization. IN the event the wires have to be "cut" in the immediate post op period, strong elastics are substituted.

2) the immediate post op period is painful. Patients require strong pain medications in the first two days, then taper off to tylenol/codeine combos. Eventually just plain, liquid, tylenol works. Or advil if it is tolerated. Hot and cold compresses help facial swelling and pain control. Anti-vomit meds are always required. Major pain and nauea taper off within the first week.

3) the mouth is full of pyrogens. Antibiotics are part of immediate recovery.

4) oral hygiene is paramount. Hospitals often implement regimens of normal-saline/1/4 strength H2O2 rinses every 2 hours, or lemon saline combos. Helps to remove all that you can imagine....... This is kept up upon discharge. And can you say, water-pic?
9.gif

5) invariably people loose weight b/c of diet changes. High cal best--nutritional support aides. Your friend must have resources and can consult a nutritionist if the hospital doesn't do this before discharge. Blended everything.

6) Sleeping with head of bed elevated helps for lots-o-reasons.

7) Humidifier esstential to keep mouth/nose moist.

You would be amazed how well folks do after surgery despite the restrictions. Good luck to him!

cheers--Sharon

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I had reconstructive jaw surgery 10 years ago to correct some random bone growth that was causing headaches. My lower jaw was split (called a Sagittal Split Osteotomy), extra bone growth was cut off, and the bones were screwed back together with titanium screws. I woke up and felt the most excrutiating pain - but there was no more "pressure" on my bite and that felt comfortable for the first time ever. The severe pain was only for a few days - but I was on pain meds (liquid Lortab) for 3 months. I had the surgery on November 5 and had my first meal on Christmas Eve - my jaw just wouldn''t open enough before then. I lived on milkshakes made with Healthy Choice Ice Cream and Ensure. I lost about 15 pounds. Swelling was huge - I had 2 surgeons with both their hands inside my mouth for about 4 hours. I didn''t look human for about 3 weeks - by the 4th week, I looked ok but not like myself (a stranger wouldn''t have known the difference). At the end of the first month - Taco Bell commercials were really getting to me. I was craving spice - so I started drinking Chinese soups (Hot & Sour, Egg Drop, etc) and that really satisfied the cravings.

The scariest thing came after I was physically healed. Speaking was difficult - because speech is really muscle memory and I had a brand new mouth (that didn''t match the memory). I was a theatre actor and singer - and was terrified that my speech may have been permanently altered. I booked a job the following summer doing a Shakespeare Festival (which I got on reputation only - as I''m sure they couldn''t have been paying attention to my audition). Turns out that speaking Shakespeare in an outside amphitheatre is the best speech therapy ever!

I''m sure your friend''s experience will be much different - since his surgery won''t need to be as complex as mine. However, if he has problems with this speech - tell him to read Shakespeare aloud for an hour everyday, and really enunciate each syllable. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Canuk and LAJennifer -

Thank you so much for such comprehensive information! I was wondering about the jaw wiring thing. Online I''ve found a few references for ''new'' types of surgery involving setting plates that does not necessitate wiring, but I''m sure that''s only for particular cases.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your feedback.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 11:23:50 PM
Author: bem3231
Canuk and LAJennifer -

Thank you so much for such comprehensive information! I was wondering about the jaw wiring thing. Online I''ve found a few references for ''new'' types of surgery involving setting plates that does not necessitate wiring, but I''m sure that''s only for particular cases.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your feedback.
I had braces on my teeth in prep for the surgery - they didn''t wire me, but used rubber bands (wouldn''t have mattered anyway, because my jaw wasn''t moving). The new setting plates sound promising - make sure you keep us updated on his progress. These kinds of things are so interesting to me - especially since I''ve been through it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results