shape
carat
color
clarity

My first project here, PrecisionGem Emerald Earrings (Milgrain Bezel setting by David Klass)

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I commissioned Gene at Precision Gems to cut me a matched pair of emeralds to give my wife earrings for her birthday. Just got the stone picture today and they are now being shipped to David Klass for the milgrain bezel setting that I chose.

Excited to see the finished product!

Stones are around 8mm, standard brilliant cut. I’m told these photos do not properly capture the stone colors which are a very intense vivid green.

1709737097026.jpeg

1709735979194.png

1709736007745.png

Here is a mockup of my chosen setting, mine will be in 18K yellow gold though.

1709736101255.png

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks gorgeous
and yellow gold too :love: !!

which level of inclusions is this of the material he offers, if I may ask?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing the finished earrings!

May I suggest for a pair of diamond earring jackets to be added at a later date?

DK :lol-2:

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Simply gorgeous! Your wife has some beautiful jewelry.

You may want to move this to the colored stones forum.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Looking forward to seeing the finished earrings!

May I suggest for a pair of diamond earring jackets to be added at a later date?

DK :lol-2:

Hehe, I may do that as a follow-up gift in the future. I want to see the current earrings on her ears first, concerned it may become too large with jackets.

David Klass did send me a few picture examples of what it would look like:

1709761295442.png

1709761321749.png

1709761339291.png

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Looks gorgeous

Thank you, I’m really happy with how the inclusions look in the photo.

I emphasized to Gene that I appreciated seeing inclusions in my stone and asked him to do whatever he could to ensure that the finished product would have some of those inclusions represented.

I’ve asked him what “level of inclusion” the rough he used was so I can share that with you once he responds.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Looks gorgeous

Gene replied to me on this.

He said: “It was cut from the moderate included piece, but some cleaner area’s of that piece. It’s hard to say with the inclusions where they will fall.”

His website says: “Columbian Emerald color. Much nicer in person than the photos. The material is very clean, but may have some small natural inclusions. I also have some materail that will have slightly more inclusions and some new material that has moderate inclusions.”

So I guess he used his new material for my stones. :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I be too forward in asking if the gallery design might be a bit too closed off for cleaning something that can’t be in an ultrasound?

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Can I be too forward in asking if the gallery design might be a bit too closed off for cleaning something that can’t be in an ultrasound?

My understanding is that part of the reason one shouldn’t use an ultrasonic on emeralds is because of the oiled nature of natural emeralds (Which may be filling surface cracks)… lab grown emeralds, being unoiled, would not have that issue.

Regardless, we don’t use ultrasounds in our house — mild cleaner and soft toothbrush only!

Note: I’ve asked David Klass to make the gallery pattern as delicate as possible to display as much of the emerald as possible… I have that wonderful italian filligree work in my head, we shall see how it turns out.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I commissioned Gene at Precision Gems to cut me a matched pair of emeralds to give my wife earrings for her birthday. Just got the stone picture today and they are now being shipped to David Klass for the milgrain bezel setting that I chose.

Excited to see the finished product!

Stones are around 8mm, standard brilliant cut. I’m told these photos do not properly capture the stone colors which are a very intense vivid green.

1709737097026.jpeg

1709735979194.png

1709736007745.png

Here is a mockup of my chosen setting, mine will be in 18K yellow gold though.

1709736101255.png

The stones look lovely and are a great size too - with the bezel, the earrings should be 9mm+ which has a good presence on the ear!

Out of interest, how did you decide on 8mm stones - was it comparing to your wife’s pearls perhaps?

And I must say, your wife is very lucky to have such a thoughtful, talented and skilled bauble-bestowing husband!

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
The stones look lovely and are a great size too - with the bezel, the earrings should be 9mm+ which has a good presence on the ear!

Out of interest, how did you decide on 8mm stones - was it comparing to your wife’s pearls perhaps?

And I must say, your wife is very lucky to have such a thoughtful, talented and skilled bauble-bestowing husband!

Thank you :).

Well, I first looked at a lot of emeralds online to see how they looked on ear pictures. So many looked too small in my opinion so I knew I wanted at least 7mm.

My wife’s go-to pearl earrings are 8.65mm… I looked at another pair at the house that is 8.1mm and it seemed to be the right “presence” when I visualized it being green. That’s how I landed at 8mm.

I also looked at her engagement ring which is around 7.5mm which is the same round brilliant cut for comparison…and thought I wanted it a little larger.

I also knew that this new earring would be closer to 6mm deep, so it wouldn’t be as *tall* on the ear as the pearls.

I then spent awhile trying to decide between studs or bezel. JR Columbia’s website has many beautiful bezel earrings and they had pictures on the ear to look it… I liked the YG contrast with the emerald and ended up going with Bezel for this piece.

I realized that going bezel would make the earring larger, 9mm-ish as you say. That almost made me shrink the emerald down to 7.5mm honestly but then I remembered the golden rule of Jewelry Shrinkage Syndrome :devil:. So I kept it at 8mm…

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Gene confirmed the stones came in at 3.315 carats and 8.1mm each. Woof!

In coordinating with David Klass, who is wonderful to work with, i’m making one addition to the design of the earrings. I’m adding this millgrain+pattern to the side bands of the earrings to elevate the side view.

A fellow PSer had that pattern in a gorgeous ring she created with David Klass and I was immediately struct by how wonderful it looked. I figured it would fit in well with this earring design.

IMG_4724.png
IMG_4725.png

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
David Klass just sent me some pictures, shipping me earrings now. Can’t wait to see them in person!

Very happy with how they turned out!

IMG_4787.jpeg
IMG_4786.jpeg
IMG_4785.jpeg
IMG_4784.jpeg

Last picture seems to show a small color shift due to reflection of the green ground in picture.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Those are stunning - I'm sure your wife will absolutely love them!

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
David Klass just sent me some pictures, shipping me earrings now. Can’t wait to see them in person!

Very happy with how they turned out!

IMG_4787.jpeg
IMG_4786.jpeg
IMG_4785.jpeg
IMG_4784.jpeg

Last picture seems to show a small color shift due to reflection of the green ground in picture.

@NY_Resonant , Wowza-these are gorgeous!!! I hope your wife absolutely loves them!

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everybody! Got the earrings today :lol:. Photos are very hard and I can’t capture the true color of the stones, in person they are VERY pure green, deeply saturated and have no hint of blue tint (like some pictures below show on photos). Currently raining outside so these are all with indoor lighting.

1711656369306.png

1711656400365.png

1711656442750.png

1711656482866.png

1711656537919.jpeg

1711656553089.jpeg

1711656579818.jpeg

1711656600733.jpeg

I like this close-up picture looking into the emerald, great job by Precision Gem!

1711656711188.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love:I'm crazy about those! Classically beautiful and the detailing is perfect.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
They look spectacular on her lobes and are especially beautiful framed by her dark hair!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. They are stunning!!

Kya

Shiny_Rock
These are truly an impeccable work of art - Love the entire design and proportions, and those stones are absolutely gorgeous !

Mems20

Rough_Rock
These are incredible! The deep green set against the yellow gold is just beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results