shape
carat
color
clarity

My first post: Is this a good deal or am I being taken on the purchase of this OVAL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ideawizard

Rough_Rock
I have read at least 3 online guides but they seem to apply mostly to rounds.

My fiancee and I went to look at local jewlery store in the burbs and the manager showed us an oval diamond with the following stats that were on the card...

1.75 caret
oval brilliant cut
G-H
Si1-Si2
polish/symetry good/good
treatment none
had laser number and GIA cert.

The price was $6600 + 9% tax and $74 dollars for unimited cleaning and $127 for mounting + the band . Which we still havent picked. This seemed high and much more than we have budgeted. they also called today and said that they have a 1.5 with the same stats for 6K on their Virtual diamond shop. whatever that means.

1) What exactly do I look for in an oval or pear shaped diamond? What is most important?
What can we do to get the most value for the money and not get taken ? Her ideal range is 1.5 to 1.8 carats. What should we do next to find the best stone for our situation ?

Thanks for your valuable time and advice,

iZ

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 10:52:27 PM
Author:ideawizard
I have read at least 3 online guides but they seem to apply mostly to rounds.

My fiancee and I went to look at local jewlery store in the burbs and the manager showed us an oval diamond with the following stats that were on the card...

1.75 caret

oval brilliant cut

G-H

Si1-Si2

polish/symetry good/good

treatment none

had laser number and GIA cert.

The price was $6600 + 9% tax and $74 dollars for unimited cleaning and $127 for mounting + the band . Which we still havent picked. This seemed high and much more than we have budgeted. they also called today and said that they have a 1.5 with the same stats for 6K on their Virtual diamond shop. whatever that means.
It''s a 1 3/4 carat stone and they don''t know if it''s Si1 or Si2??
33.gif
Nor if it''s a G or an H?
33.gif

I''m sorry but that sort of wishy-washy grading is fine for itsy melee stones, but something that big?
Adding in a charge for unlimited cleaning is just fishy, the jewelry stores I worked in always cleaned jewelry for free under the theory that you''d look around while you waited. And $127 for the e-ring mounting and a wedding band?!? I know I''m a snob, but I wouldn''t want to put a nice big diamond into a cheap 14k setting.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I've never paid for any unlimited cleaning or anything through any jeweler! All of them advertise free jewelry cleaning so you can walk into any mall store and they'll clean it for free! They are taking you for a ride...I'd walk away and do some homework with this. If it's got a cert from GIA or any reputable lab they should know if its G or H and if its SI1 or SI2. RUN!!!!!!!!!

BTW...you can make your own cleaner with ammonia and water or windex and water and then buy yourself a jewel jet steamer for $99. So they are really just taking your money for no apparent reason
38.gif

ideawizard

Rough_Rock
thank you so much for your replies...I will call the jewler and get the exact information...I think they would only give it in general unless I ask.

What information exactly do I ask for so we can find out the real deal about this stone?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 12:31:31 AM
Author: ideawizard
thank you so much for your replies...I will call the jewler and get the exact information...I think they would only give it in general unless I ask.

What information exactly do I ask for so we can find out the real deal about this stone?

Ideawizard dear, I don''t think you are understanding us. RUN! We''re not just saying look for a different diamond, we''re saying look for a different jeweler!! This jeweler does not sound trustworthy.
38.gif
So not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this.

If you want a nice sized oval, I''d recommend simply starting a thread asking for diamond finding help. PSer''s looooovvvee to look for the perfect diamond for someone.

ideawizard

Rough_Rock
Thanks but I think some of the fault may be mine, when I wrote down the stats, I cant read my own writing...lol

I understand what you are saying about the cleaning, but it also includes a lifetime of if rings that get banged up or wht gold bands need to be refinished - does that make a difference?

What are the stats I need to ask for to determine if this stone itself is a good deal. apart from the jewler.
as I would get in independently appraised first if I do buy it.

$6600 for 1.75
$6000 for 1.5
the rest is the same info as above..lets go for the lower si2 and H just to be safe till I know for sure.

The vision-once we find the right oval
she wants an elegant contemporary conversations starting setting with the oval set East West- not solitaire not antique, that she can include a few of her late parents smaller diamonds randomly in the band to always have then with her.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 1:52:54 AM
Author: ideawizard
Thanks but I think some of the fault may be mine, when I wrote down the stats, I cant read my own writing...lol

I understand what you are saying about the cleaning, but it also includes a lifetime of if rings that get banged up or wht gold bands need to be refinished - does that make a difference?

What are the stats I need to ask for to determine if this stone itself is a good deal. apart from the jewler.
as I would get in independently appraised first if I do buy it.

$6600 for 1.75
$6000 for 1.5
the rest is the same info as above..lets go for the lower si2 and H just to be safe till I know for sure.

The vision-once we find the right oval
she wants an elegant contemporary conversations starting setting with the oval set East West- not solitaire not antique, that she can include a few of her late parents smaller diamonds randomly in the band to always have then with her.
Well then the 74 isn''t for cleaning its for their lifetime diamond warranty. that makes much more sense. I still think as I''ve posted in both of your other threads you should look around and comparison shop. But that''s just my opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results