shape
carat
color
clarity

My First Loose Stone Purchase - Blue Sapphire

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Left by a huge margin. I agree with Pregcurious that the right sapphire has a green tinge.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Another one for the left! In my opinion, concave cuts flatter lighter stones more than darker stones. In the darker stones, I feel the concave-cut gets a little lost.

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the votes everyone! I finally got to see the setting and, like all of you, it was Leftie all the way - it wasn't even close. Turns out the more saturated stone, the first one, though lighter actually provided the best contrast. So yay! And my guy is justifiably proud of his setting selection (there's a story behind it), and his encouragement/support to go with a sapphire!

So ladies and gentlemen...I present you with the following finished ring (please forgive the quickie pictures):

Engagement Ring on my hand!
ering_hand_cropped.jpg

Engagement Ring on it's side:
ering_sideview_cropped.jpg

Engagement Ring standing upright (sorry it's slightly blurry):
ering_upright_cropped.jpg

Wedding Set Outdoors:
weddingset_outdoorrock_cropped.jpg

I'm thrilled to death!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely beautiful! Gorgeous sapphire and I love the leaf/vine motive of your wedding set :appl:

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations with engagement your new ring is simply breathtaking! plus I learned so much following your thread thank you too! :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That outside shot of your set should definitely be your avatar. The color in that is stricking.

Congrats!

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks Niel, Victoria10 and ricezo! Niel, I changed my avatar - you still think it's the best of the lot for the prestigious avatar spot?

My FI intended a diamond for the e-ring, but I didn't need another diamond and he's already given me one prior (I never actually wanted an engagement ring at all!). I think the Sapphire is far prettier for this setting, and now that I've seen it, I know I was right! And this truly means more to me anyway.

Man, I'm really bad at taking photos of jewelry - the quickies I took last night were really not good. I thought I'd try again this morning since I have a bit more time. Are these any better - I tried to get the best views of the setting and stone together, which is really hard in variable lighting!!!

Wedding Set, Side View on Hand:
weddingset_cropped.jpg

Engagement Ring, Top View On Hand:
ering_topview_cropped.jpg

Here's the wedding set, Top View On Hand:
weddingset_topview_cropped.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
congrats!!! Your wedding set is absolutely gorgeous!! Please post a lot more pics. I love the nature theme of your set :love:

praween_s

Shiny_Rock
Breathtaking setting!! It looks like the main stone will never sleep. Congratulations!! :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! You have done so well throughout the entire process and your rings are stunning. I too love the leaf motif.

As for your photos, I think you are doing a terrific job and this morning's photos show off both the rings and the stone. :))

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
WOW WOW WOW!!! Your setting really show off your gorgeous stone.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very nice and congrats on the engagement

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Awww, thanks everyone for the kind words and well wishes! I'm so thrilled, and I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and help with the sapphire - My FI thanks you too. :razz:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome setting! Congrats on your engagement.

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks LoversKites! :bigsmile:

I've only had it a few days now, and it's wearing well. At first I wondered if it's top-heaviness would cause the ring to roll on my finger, but the opposite has happened. The leaves on the band are keeping it well in place, better than most of my other rings.

And folks were right about the stone looking darker once set - it really is the perfect color now and I still get the brilliance and sparkle!

Richard Homer is a genius, and is an absolute pleasure to do business with. I'm thinking seriously about a mandarin garnet now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results