shape
carat
color
clarity

My first garnet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I have been staying with quartz and other light colored stones to this point, but - I finally decided to take a walk on the wild side (hehe) and give garnet a try... it''s not like I don''t have 200+ carats of garnet waiting for me to take this leap of bravery.

If I can toot my own horn for a second - it looks damn good!!

Now, I have to get pictures of it. I''m just SO excited about my first cut garnet, I had to share the news with everyone. Next will be.... hmm... not sure. Tourmaline or Morganite, I think.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please share more information about this new garnet you just purchased in lieu of pictures?
Colour, dimensions, shape, and vendor (if you feel comfortable about the last one)?
Garnets are just great gemstones – they come in a variety of colours and not just red, tough enough to set in rings as occasional wear rings, high RI and not very expensive.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
It''s a rhodolite garnet. It''s a burgundy / purple color, cut in a modified cushion. I was very leary of cutting it, but decided that I needed to jump off the deep end and stop playing it safe. The final results is a 1.13ct - We are in the process of moving, so once I get everything unpacked I can upload pictures of the batch of gems that it came from, along with the resulting gem. The vendor is not yet on the internet - but it is Jaccaud''s Gemstones.

I''ll get some pictures posted ASAP. Thanks for your interest in finding out more, Chrono :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you get the rough from Jaccaud''s Gemstones and have him cut it too? I''m a little confused. Is he local to you?

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Jaccaud''s is local to me. They are helping us raise money by donating gems for our upcoming fundraiser "What A Gem Of A Pet!"

Each gemstone sold will sponsor an animal, or a group of animals that are in need of medical care - in many cases, emergency medical care, or they face being euthanized for lack of space and funds.

More information about both Jaccaud''s and the fundraiser will be available in the near future... I''ll be sure to share details :) Until then, I just drool over the pretties that we are picking out and cutting.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Send me some information on your fund raiser, and I''ll donate a stone.

We just went through a week long stay at the University of Tenn Animal Hospital with a little Yorkie. He is doing much better now, so I''m ripe for helping out any other animals.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh sounds lovely- I''m hoping to see some gorgeous pictures.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 9:48:59 PM
Author: D&T
oooh sounds lovely- I''m hoping to see some gorgeous pictures.
Ditto!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 8:48:58 PM
Author: PrecisionGem

We just went through a week long stay at the University of Tenn Animal Hospital with a little Yorkie. He is doing much better now, so I''m ripe for helping out any other animals.
Gene, that is really nice of you! I feel like animal causes need all the help they can get.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 8:48:58 PM
Author: PrecisionGem

You rock Gene!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jypsie,
That’s great. You get to buy a nice gemstone AND help animals in the process.
Kudos to Gene too for his donation to a good cause!

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 8:28:25 PM
Author: Jypsie
Jaccaud''s is local to me. They are helping us raise money by donating gems for our upcoming fundraiser ''What A Gem Of A Pet!''

Each gemstone sold will sponsor an animal, or a group of animals that are in need of medical care - in many cases, emergency medical care, or they face being euthanized for lack of space and funds.

More information about both Jaccaud''s and the fundraiser will be available in the near future... I''ll be sure to share details :) Until then, I just drool over the pretties that we are picking out and cutting.

What a wonderful idea! Be sure to keep us posted on where to buy the stones and help support the animals. Our yellow Lab Belle was skin and bones when we got her from a rescue, so I have a soft spot for homeless animals.
39.gif

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
You are all so wonderful!! We have 4 rescues, each adopted from shelters around the country, and each on the "kill" list for the day or the day after we found out about them. All 4 were supposedly too sick, vicious, or had severe behavior problems that prevented them from being adoptable. The first one adopted has been with us for 7 years - he is a TOTAL love bug, healthy as an ox, and just the sweetest boy! The second has special needs - he has epilepsy and requires very careful monitoring of his food intake and medication levels to keep his seizures controlled - he has been with us for 5 years. The third is a little girl that was so badly abused, the first 3 months we had her she hid in the corner and would crouch to the ground when a person approached, as if to be bracing for someone to harm her. Now, she''s a total love bug!! She runs around, comes to beg for kisses and tummy rubs and she will climb up on your shoulder if you are sitting on the couch to kiss your cheeks. The fourth pup just joined us a little more than a year ago, he was vicious... oh so so so vicious! or at least that''s what the shelter said - you know how horribly scarey and dangerous those tongues can be, right? He doesn''t have a mean bone in his body - he came to us in a horrible state - matted fur, flea infested, never had been brushed or groomed - nails were so long they were curled. We cleaned him up, fed him regularly, and now he lives up to his name "Rascal" - oh boy, is he ever!! What a little stinker! And we absolutely love him that way - he brings a whole new level of comedy to the family and to the pack of pups... all of them are regressing back to his age and playing like they had never played before.

Thanks again everyone! I''ll definitely keep you all posted.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 12:48:51 PM
Author: Jypsie
You are all so wonderful!! We have 4 rescues, each adopted from shelters around the country, and each on the ''kill'' list for the day or the day after we found out about them. All 4 were supposedly too sick, vicious, or had severe behavior problems that prevented them from being adoptable. The first one adopted has been with us for 7 years - he is a TOTAL love bug, healthy as an ox, and just the sweetest boy! The second has special needs - he has epilepsy and requires very careful monitoring of his food intake and medication levels to keep his seizures controlled - he has been with us for 5 years. The third is a little girl that was so badly abused, the first 3 months we had her she hid in the corner and would crouch to the ground when a person approached, as if to be bracing for someone to harm her. Now, she''s a total love bug!! She runs around, comes to beg for kisses and tummy rubs and she will climb up on your shoulder if you are sitting on the couch to kiss your cheeks. The fourth pup just joined us a little more than a year ago, he was vicious... oh so so so vicious! or at least that''s what the shelter said - you know how horribly scarey and dangerous those tongues can be, right? He doesn''t have a mean bone in his body - he came to us in a horrible state - matted fur, flea infested, never had been brushed or groomed - nails were so long they were curled. We cleaned him up, fed him regularly, and now he lives up to his name ''Rascal'' - oh boy, is he ever!! What a little stinker! And we absolutely love him that way - he brings a whole new level of comedy to the family and to the pack of pups... all of them are regressing back to his age and playing like they had never played before.

Thanks again everyone! I''ll definitely keep you all posted.

Those dogs are so lucky to have found such a good home. My parents adopted a 6-year-old black Lab from the Humane Society when I was 8. She was a couple days away from being put down as well. And she was the best dog EVER. We had her for 8 years before she had to be put to sleep at 14, and all of us still miss her. Every other dog has had to live up to her. My lab now comes close, but she''s not as smart....shhh...don''t tell her I said that
28.gif

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Aww - Beth how wonderful for you and your lab buddy! I swear, shelter and rescue animals know... somehow, they know that they have been given a second chance at life and that''s why they make the very best pets ever!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results