shape
carat
color
clarity

My first diamond

vanterminator

Rough_Rock
im very new to collecting, only been collecting for some months... probably making a lot of mistakes but learning a lot too. im not buying anything expensive and just from ebay.

just bought my first diamond, a colored one. here are pictures, its a .14 ct sunny yellow VS from africa (as disclosed from seller). please honestly comment. i can only learn at this point, right? :)

8188.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
welcome
1.gif

I''m fairly new myself to collecting, and you''ve come to the right place to learn. And just as a heads up, don''t take the criticism of the stone as a personal attack. Take the critiques as a tool for learning, and apply them to your next purchases.

what vendor on E-bay did you get your diamond?

As far as your diamond, please please please please know that .14ct will be very small. don''t be expecting something substantial.

As for the color, to me it borders on an olive-green-yellow. the vendor pic does use a black background which may add more green to the stone than what it actually shows. also, using a black or dark background usually means the stone isn''t very saturated.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is cool.
I loved colored diamonds.

I DO hope it comes with a GIA report, and a refund policy.
That's the only way to be sure of exactly what it is, and therefore a fair price.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 3:35:41 PM
Author:vanterminator
im very new to collecting, only been collecting for some months... probably making a lot of mistakes but learning a lot too. im not buying anything expensive and just from ebay.

just bought my first diamond, a colored one. here are pictures, its a .14 ct sunny yellow VS from africa (as disclosed from seller). please honestly comment. i can only learn at this point, right? :)

Well, I hope you didn't pay a lot for it, because it looks heavily photoshopped, or it could be irradiated to that color. That's a bit too vivid in color to be natural in color IMO. It might also be a high pressure high temperature synthetic, which although a real diamond, is not mined from the earth (natural stone), and less valuable. They often come in a very vivid yellow.

vanterminator

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the comments.

It doesnt come with a GIA policy, but the return policy is 7 day return to get full refund. Ive used the seller before, and he has almost 17000 rating with 99.6 positive. So I am confident that the return will be honored.

Thank you for the comments, tourmaline_lover. I didnt pay much ($20) which obviously made me suspect. I really liked the vivid color. I guess I might return it if I feel its not satisfactory. The seller did claim no treatment and unheated and as a natural diamond (and not a synthetic one), but obviously that might just not be true. There is also a flash video of the item, check that out also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130401562611&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2387wt_1186

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$20?

. . . edit . . . never mind.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hate to say it but that is an Nuked diamond. But it's still pretty and if you like it then that's all that matters. $20.00 is a little steep for a irradiated .17ct diamond, but it's not bad. If you like it then you didn't get ripped off for 20$.

I also hope you realize how small .17 is. I know I was shocked when I recieved my first small diamond. I was like wth is THAT!

vanterminator

Rough_Rock
I hate to say it but that is an Nuked diamond. But it''s still pretty and if you like it then that''s all that matters. $20.00 is a little steep for a irradiated .17ct diamond, but it''s not bad. If you like it them you didn''t get ripped off for 20$.

RockHugger, (GIA) A.J.P
Soon to be GIA G.D.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Can you please explain how you can tell? is it just experience, or is there something that can picked out and learned from here? Thanks!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From experiance it looks like a nuked diamond. It has extreamly strong saturation without any grey brown or green (natural looking green) over/undertones. Even the finest fancy colored diamonds have a slight undertone (hope diamond has grey). yellows usually have a brown or green undertone or a slight grey mask. Now there are exceptions and some very bright yellow diamonds out there, but they are very expensive and are sent to a lab to verify. There's a reason that stone isn't certified.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have no clue about diamonds - it will be my second step, but I like the color.
As you said, it is your first diamond, so it may be a learning one, too. Glad that you did not buy an expensive diamond, and enjoy the color of it!

vanterminator

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input everyone.

One last question: Any ebay sellers you are interested in sharing that experienced people have found to be truthful (I know the question might just be a simple no to this :)

I know a lot of people use first names and not ids...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 5:16:14 PM
Author: vanterminator

It doesnt come with a GIA policy, but the return policy is 7 day return to get full refund. Ive used the seller before, and he has almost 17000 rating with 99.6 positive. So I am confident that the return will be honored.

Thank you for the comments, tourmaline_lover. I didnt pay much ($20) which obviously made me suspect. I really liked the vivid color. I guess I might return it if I feel its not satisfactory. The seller did claim no treatment and unheated and as a natural diamond (and not a synthetic one), but obviously that might just not be true. There is also a flash video of the item, check that out also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130401562611&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2387wt_1186
For $20, I wouldn''t sweat it, but it is definitely treated or synthetic by the looks of the color. I hope you like it when you get it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 8:41:12 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 6/26/2010 5:16:14 PM
Author: vanterminator

For $20, I wouldn''t sweat it, but it is definitely treated or synthetic by the looks of the color. I hope you like it when you get it.
Ditto that. I would definitely presume that to be a synthetic or nuked, not a natural diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results