shape
carat
color
clarity

My first diamond purchase experience... an asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TOAsscher

Rough_Rock
About six months ago I began learning about diamonds. I wanted to surprise my girlfriend, so she wouldn''t know it was coming. I began to feel out for hints on what she may like. After a long process, I felt the asscher was her style, so I began to investigate. I read so many threads on here, I can’t tell you how much I learned. After learning a lot, I began to shop. I checked out jewellery stores all around my city. Nothing. Most of them knew nothing about it and got their facts wrong when talking about Royal and the square emerald cut, etc. They really should check this site out more… Anyway, I asked guys I know who have already proposed, but their jewellers didn’t stock them either. I really wanted to see one of these suckers. I did manage to see a very nice Royal Asscher. It had quite the sparkle and I read on here where someone commented they look a little “busy” and I think that’s quite accurate. I saw a 1.25 carat and I think you need to go well over two to appreciate the extra facets…

So, after much investigating, I looked at recommendations of this site and go in touch with Martin at USACert. He was awesome. He totally recommended if I wanted this diamond, head to NYC. He could setup and it would be cheaper than shipping diamonds out for me to see. New York? Seemed like quite the jaunt, but after a little thinking, I finally took the plunge.

Martin set it all up, and I flew in for the day. I had to run some defence with my GF, but managed to get there without her knowing. Martin recommended I get an appraiser as well. He recommended Justin Krall of Manhattan Appraisers. (While looking for his office, it seemed everyone on the street knew him – he really is the best.) After discussing what I needed, I ended up hiring Justin as a consultant. The best money I ever spent. When you think about it, if you were to buy a house, you’d want an expert to tell you about the process (inspectors and real estate agents). For an expensive car, you’d want a mechanic to check it out. Since this was the third most expensive thing I have ever purchased, I asked him to come along with me and recommend a diamond. So, I flew to New York and headed to the diamond district. The TV shows don’t prepare you. What an area. I made it to Justin’s office and he explained the process. After that, we were off to a wholesaler to check out some asschers.

Upon arrival, we met with a very nice girl, Imbal, who took us into her office and showed us the list. There were six diamonds I think. Quickly, Justin was separating the list based on the GIA information. Soon there were a few diamonds on the desk for us to see. Wow. Seeing it in person, you can’t compare to any picture on the web I’ve seen. You literally get sucked into the diamond, and there was far more glitter than I expected. After discussing different aspects, Imbal asks her assistant to bring out the asscher box from GIA. It was a box full of loose diamonds - she wanted one with some fluorescence to show me the difference. I was in asscher heaven. There were too many too look at, we concentrated on the size, color and clarity I narrowed it down too and picked the best one in my price range. Justin examined it thoroughly and then helped me negotiate the price! As I talked with Martin on the phone to thank him for the incredible deal I just got, Imbal happened to put a 3 carat asscher in front of me. It looked bigger than my finger. Anyway, I paid Justin for his time (which, considering the savings from Martin and himself, was well worth the money) and off I was.

Martin recommended a jeweller and it’s being set as I type this. At first, I was a little worried about this whole process. But, I figured, I really lucked out. I can’t thank both of them enough. I will keep you posted on the setting and how it turns out. For now, I managed to take a pic of the loose diamond for you… It’s a 1.13 carat, color G, VS1, polish and symmetry excellent and no fluorescence. I hope she’ll like it!

HerNewAsscher9999.JPG

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh wow! so so so pretty! interesting process-to me at least, and something for us to consider as well. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

and congrats! she''s going to be extactic!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/26/2005 4:48:38 PM
Author:TOAsscher
I hope she''ll like it!

I don''t know how she wouldn''t! It''s beautiful! Congrats on your purchase! Can''t wait to see the final product!

Thanks for sharing your experience...that''s an interesting way of purchasing a diamond (hiring a consultant), but it sounded like it was a positive experience for you!!!
36.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
it''s so colorful and sparkles like crazy in that pic! maybe i should change my mind to wanting an asscher???

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry pretty!!! That stone looks a mile deep...she''s going to flip out!!!! What setting did you pick out?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
that is one beautiful asscher. I have no doubt that she will love it!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, it''s just gorgeous!!!!!! She will love it, I''m sure. Good job!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif

TOAsscher

Rough_Rock
Thanks all...

I would say, first, the main reason I did this was because I couldn''t walk into a jewellery store where I live and see an asscher. And, I felt I didn''t know enough about diamonds to talk intelligently with the wholesaler in the diamond district and pick the right one.

I met with jeweller here and showed him the diamond. His shop is so old, and he''s been doing this all his life. I loved it in there. What we did was this: since I wasn''t sure what the best setting was, I picked something that he had in stock and he''s going to set it. Then, I can use to propose. If she wants something different, he''ll make it up and swap for no charge. Especially since I didn''t have the exact ring size and it''s in platinum, so he said it''s too hard to resize, he''d rather do it perfect the first time. I love this plan. Anyway, the setting I chose was similar to a Lucida, but there''s no bar across the side, so it really shows the whole diamond off. Kind of his creation... I think.

As for the sparkle. I was worried, but I can tell you, these do put off a lot. I think the round brilliants give of so much now, it makes the other cuts seem paler. But, asschers do sparkle. Especially in the sunlight. Another thing I noticed (and someone, I''m sure an expert) commented on this site that asschers pick up light from everywhere. They really do, you can see light from my monitor, the table, the window... there was so much. The scintillation is amazing...

I''ll let you know how it works out and post more picks when I get the ring.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
The stone you picked is a beauty!! And thanks for sharing your story. I am gathering ideas to pass on so reading about your experience will help me.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yumm asscher eyecandy!
Congrates!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results