shape
carat
color
clarity

My first Barry gem

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been resisting buying new gems until end of the month, but this one popped up (and garnets are my favorite type of gems) and was so affordable that I couldn''t say no. So I bought the included malaya, hehe, mostly to see an example of Barry''s style than anything else to be hoenst (although I do love garnets!)

He also has a really cute little malaya up and a new dark blue spinel that caught my eye. But I already have a malaya I never wear, and the spinel was too dark for me to pull the trigger.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So that was you who bought that stone. You will have to show us pictures. I love that 5 mm pink garnet, but I already have a pink stone of that size and I just bought a spinel. So I hope someone gets it.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am debating on that spinel right now too. I am worried it is too dark for me. Challenge is that I have been looking for a nice blue stone and they are hard to find.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:10:09 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I am debating on that spinel right now too. I am worried it is too dark for me. Challenge is that I have been looking for a nice blue stone and they are hard to find.

Nice blue stones are a challenge in general. Too bad. That is my favorite color.

Threadjack - OMG that kitten is sooooo cute - End Threadjack

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet that''s going to be a dark spinel, when Barry says dark, he means it...nice size though.

Specifically which garnet is it MTG?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think she is talking about this one

About Berry's definition of dark, the ruby that was mine for about 5 days was described as medium/medium dark. And that was too dark for me.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Guess I am passing on the blue stones.

Congrats on your purchase!

THREAD JACK - Thanks. That is my new kitty - she has been home for 2 weeks and still nameless. She is a sweetie.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um, did you guys see this stone?

Someone needs to snap that up before I go crazy.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That just popped up in the last 2 minutes!

ETA: Love it, can't afford it right now. I am not returning two stones in one week. Especially since I love my spinel. There is also a purple sapphire that looks like it would be perfect for a stacking ring.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:18:33 PM
Author: FrekeChild

I was eyeing it but it looks dark to me. What do you think?

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Love it, MTG!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG or this? It''s little though! Link

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:20:16 PM

It seems dark, but the color is soooo cool and unique. I don''t know....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m guessing it''s pretty dark too to be honest. It looks quite a bit like my spinel that I got not long from him. Did you see that one Charmy? There is a pic or two in the "Catch All" thread

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:23:56 PM
I'm guessing it's pretty dark too to be honest. It looks quite a bit like my spinel that I got not long from him. Did you see that one Charmy? There is a pic or two in the 'Catch All' thread
I loved the blue/purple spinel you got from him! I think I will pass .. I really don't like dark stones.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I'm guessing it's pretty dark too to be honest. It looks quite a bit like my spinel that I got not long from him. Did you see that one Charmy? There is a pic or two in the 'Catch All' thread

Kind of agree, especially since I just read the caption that said it is darker than the pic. I wouldn't give up on blue stones, they are challenging, but not impossible.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:25:30 PM
I''m guessing it''s pretty dark too to be honest. It looks quite a bit like my spinel that I got not long from him. Did you see that one Charmy? There is a pic or two in the ''Catch All'' thread
I loved the blue/purple spinel you got from him! I think I will pass .. I really don''t like dark stones.
Lol! Which one? I have big blue (which the color looks very similar to that stone, just BB looked lighter), the more pure blue that had the inclusion in the middle, my ering stone, and then the Dan blue...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:25:47 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I''m guessing it''s pretty dark too to be honest. It looks quite a bit like my spinel that I got not long from him. Did you see that one Charmy? There is a pic or two in the ''Catch All'' thread
Kind of agree, especially since I just read the caption that said it is darker than the pic. I wouldn''t give up on blue stones, they are challenging, but not impossible.
Ditto.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 10:13:07 PM

Date: 7/19/2009 10:10:09 PM

Nice blue stones are a challenge in general. Too bad. That is my favorite color.

Threadjack - OMG that kitten is sooooo cute - End Threadjack
Charmy,
I''ve been meaning to tell you that as well. My goodness, that picture could be used for the cover of a card. So adorable!!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock

That guy caught my eye too. I love that color but it''s a little dark and the caption saying it''s actually darker is turning me the other way.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:18:25 PM
Guess I am passing on the blue stones.

Congrats on your purchase!

THREAD JACK - Thanks. That is my new kitty - she has been home for 2 weeks and still nameless. She is a sweetie.
She is sooo freaking cute!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, all the new blues are a bit too dark for me, especially since I love to bezel my gemmies.
And the garnet I got was this one. Barry wrote to say that the color is very pretty, but that there are bubbles. Haha, I am actually looking forward to the bubbles, I''m trying to learn about garnets, and learning the inclusions first hand is part of the process (for me at least), so I think it''ll be a nice addition to the collection.

ga-1846g_2195_general.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2009 10:20:16 PM

Nice colour but I expect it to be very dark.
39.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
congrats MTG on his fine deal. Its going to be beautiful nonetheless

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I''ve been tempted by that small oval tsav he has, but again, worried it might be too dark. I would guess that''s what is also keeping others from getting it.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats MTG! Very cute little malaya!!
9.gif
I want to see pictures when you get it! Thanks for beating me to it!!
36.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 9:27:38 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
To be honest, I've been tempted by that small oval tsav he has, but again, worried it might be too dark. I would guess that's what is also keeping others from getting it.

This one? It is a really nice color. It would probably just need an open setting. But I would ask him, he is pretty honest.

Here is the vendor pic of mine which is dark, but not too dark. It was taken by the previous site owner, but I believe he uses the same photograph techniques.

TG-5166B[1].jpg

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:13:27 PM
I bet that''s going to be a dark spinel, when Barry says dark, he means it...nice size though.

Thanks, this is good to know. I''ve been wanting a blue spinel, but the last couple Barry has posted have all been medium/dark.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2009 10:01:02 AM

This one? It is a really nice color. It would probably just need an open setting. But I would ask him, he is pretty honest.

Here is the vendor pic of mine which is dark, but not too dark. It was taken by the previous site owner, but I believe he uses the same photograph techniques.
Yup, that one!
Did you set your tsav yet? I think I''ll email barry about it depending on if I like the cut of the malaya :)

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:20:56 PM
OMG or this? It''s little though! Link
I got that little one!!! It''s my first gem that I''ve bought loose. I''m going to wear it as a right hand ring. My ering has side sapphires so I think it''ll look cute.
I can''t decide if I should get Sally to set it in a lotus or to put it in this LOGR http://cgi.ebay.com/ROUND-5MM-PAVE-DIAMOND-14K-WHITE-GOLD-SEMI-MOUNT-RING_W0QQitemZ220453844346QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item335412b57a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
I think I like the LOGR will look nice with my ering as it has milgrain. Not sure if I''d need to have the semi mount cusom made as the stone is 4.4mm and the setting is for a 5mm stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results