shape
carat
color
clarity

My fiance wants to get me a puppy! Anyone here with allergies and a dog?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY Punchie...I can''t wait to see more pictures.

Also re: the shedding, we have Portia ''carded'' when she goes to the groomer, I think it''s like some lower key version of stripping? Anyway they pull out some of her undercoat to help it grow in thicker. Maybe this is also why she doesn''t shed as much, I don''t know...but it has helped her coat become a bit thicker which is great.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 12:22:55 PM
Author: fire&ice
Intersting.

One thing I want to mention -MY SCHNAUZERS SHED!
6.gif
It''s not the top coat it''s the furry undercoat. You will have hair around. I''ve heard of people rejecting their wiring coat friend because they thought they would see no hair around. One way to control it is to brush frequently. The brush collects the undercoat. Stripping the coat is another way - but too difficult for the average person to do & cost prohibited for someone not wanting to show the dog.

Though, some dogs do shed their puppy coat (only once).
Fire&Ice, you have standard shcnauzers, don''t you? Maybe they do shed. Ours is a mini, and I know a few other people who have minis and tell me theirs don''t shed, either. But we also get Daisy groomed pretty often, so that might make a difference. I wear a lot of black and dark brown, and Daisy is pretty much all over me all the time, and I notice if she was shedding...lol. My cat is another story. Even though she doesn''t shed much, Topaz does shed a bit during the warm months, and somtimes I look like I''m wearing furry clothing after I''ve held her for a while.

You''re right about the stripping! We tried it a time or two, and it was way harder than it would have seemed like it should be. And much more time consuming that clipping. I have to hand it to those who show their dogs and the stripping is mandatory. That takes a lot of time and patience, and work!

We keep Daisy trimmed to the point that her hard coat never really comes back much. All she usually has are the soft curly furnishings on her legs and underbelly, and the soft under coat on her back. She is an amazingly soft dog. People who''ve been around schnauzers are always amazed when they pet her, because they expect her coat to me a bit more coarse, but it really feels silky.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I''m terribly allergic to cats as well. I actually wasn''t as a kid and even through my early 20s, but then I got a cat in grad school and, within months, had asthma. Most dogs don''t bother me much, especially terriers. I grew up with an Irish terrier and never had allergies. (My brother who had asthma as a kid was also never allergic to the dog). For some reason, hounds are the worst (beagles, bassets, etc) but I''m fine around my cousin''s black lab, my friend''s weimaraner. I know that poodles are supposed to be hypoallergenic but I actually did have a reaction to a couple of poodles I''ve met. I wonder if it''s just individual but perhaps spending some time around your puppy''s parents (if that''s possible) would give you an idea if you''re allergic to that kind of dog or not.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I''m allergic to cats as well. In fact, I was just petting my neighbors cat (stupid) and I''ve been sneezing for 5 minutes and I can feel my lungs filling up. I would love to have a cat but know I never can.

Do you know anyone who has a westie that you can visit and see if you are allergic? I have soft-coated wheaten terriers and I am fine. However, my neighbor who is allergic and wants a dog came over to try it out and she started wheezing. It''s really an individual thing. Maybe when your closer to buying you can visit the breeders home and spend some time there and see if you have a reaction. It would be horrible to have to give a puppy away. I remember having to give a kitten back when I was little and I was soooo sad. Anyway, hope things work out for you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Punchie, if you are really worried, go and spend some time continuously with the puppies as they grow. If you are able to that is, sometimes breeders won't let you do that. But I would ask about it, especially as it gets closer to the time for you to take home the puppy and make that final decision. Go and spend a few hours with him/her a few times and see how your allergies react. The other thing is that if you really want a dog regardless of allergies, look into the possibility of getting shots etc. I adore dogs and even if I *was* allergic, I would get a weekly or monthly shot to have a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results