shape
carat
color
clarity

My engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Alison P

Rough_Rock
Boyfriend popped the question last night, so I''m pretty excited.

I got to see my e-ring for the first time after working on the design with Mark Turnowski. My camera just can''t seem to get a sharp picture, so you can''t see any detail. I''m going to try to get some good pics to show to my family from another camera. But here is what I have. And here is my first post...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/experience-with-mark-turnowski-from-erd.62723/

OK, renderings first.

first pic.jpg

Alison P

Rough_Rock
Another rendering picture. We were going for an Harry Winston-esque halo, and a Michael B. Lace band look but with 8 clusters instead of 6.

second pic.jpg

Alison P

Rough_Rock
Last rendering.

third pic.jpg

Alison P

Rough_Rock
I wish the great detail would show, but you can get the idea.

AlisonSEngagementRing.jpg

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! It looks amazing and HUGE!!! I would love to see more up-close pics when you get them. Congrats on the engagement!

whenharrymetsally

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!! Looks beautiful! Can''t wait to see more pictures!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK. Must. Have. More. Pictures. Please!!!!
That little photo is just such a TEASER!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Alison P

Rough_Rock
Still blurry, but trying.

alison ring 2.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tsk tsk. These little midgie photos are SO not acceptable. We need decent pics of the purdy ring!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement! Your ring is gorgeos!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement, AlisonP! Your ring is gorgeous, hope you can get some more pics posted. It takes some practice, believe me!
36.gif

Alison P

Rough_Rock
This may sound silly, but 2 carats on my little size 4 finger WITH the halo seems to appear so much bigger than I anticipated. I feel like it is quite possibly overkill on my hand. I''m not sure what to do, or if I''m just not use to it yet? I have quite a few friends that have a similar sized ring, but I never thought that theirs looked over-the-top. I thought radiants normally looked smaller than other cuts too...

It''s seems that everyone who sees it says something about how big it looks, and seems really shocked. I wanted something big and pretty and very unique (which it def is) but I don''t want it to look like I''m playing dress up either. I''m not filthy rich, don''t drive a fancy car... I''m just a normal girl. I don''t want it to seem like I''m trying to be someone I''m not. The design is so amazing - and I think that the wonderful craftmanship makes it look like about four times more than what we paid. I''m not sure why people thinking we dropped some huge amount of money on the thing makes me so uncomfortable. We really didn''t.

Anyway, I hope I can get a close up pic of the detail, because it really is a work of art.

I''m thinking maybe I should look into a band for work and casual situations? Or am I overreacting? Any advice??

alison ring 5.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, it''s lovely!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 11:14:12 PM
Author: Alison P
This may sound silly, but 2 carats on my little size 4 finger WITH the halo seems to appear so much bigger than I anticipated. I feel like it is quite possibly overkill on my hand. I''m not sure what to do, or if I''m just not use to it yet? I have quite a few friends that have a similar sized ring, but I never thought that theirs looked over-the-top. I thought radiants normally looked smaller than other cuts too...

It''s seems that everyone who sees it says something about how big it looks, and seems really shocked. I wanted something big and pretty and very unique (which it def is) but I don''t want it to look like I''m playing dress up either. I''m not filthy rich, don''t drive a fancy car... I''m just a normal girl. I don''t want it to seem like I''m trying to be someone I''m not. The design is so amazing - and I think that the wonderful craftmanship makes it look like about four times more than what we paid. I''m not sure why people thinking we dropped some huge amount of money on the thing makes me so uncomfortable. We really didn''t.

Anyway, I hope I can get a close up pic of the detail, because it really is a work of art.

I''m thinking maybe I should look into a band for work and casual situations? Or am I overreacting? Any advice??

Are you crazy woman? Wear that ring with pride! If you ask for a band just because you want to wear it to work or "casual" situations, you can kiss gifts of jewelry from the hubby goodbye!
40.gif

It''s gorgeous and you should be proud that you have something that looks so luxurious for a reasonable price. Mark T is the best!

And do a search on her for Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome (DSS). It''s scary and very real. Beware.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well first of all it''s gorgeous!!! But considering that most women have well under 1 carat AND that a halo drastically ups the bling factor AND that you have tiny fingers and it does make a recipe for potential overkill. A halo on a big stone can make it look SO much bigger. Add that to a stone that is already much bigger than the average woman''s and it does make it look huge.

And you say that you didn''t drop a lot of $ on it, but a 2ct stone is pretty pricey in the scheme of things especially since many people probably paid $3000 for a crappy .5 carat stone from Kays. Knowing Mark''s pricing, that probably barely covered the setting cost. So that is probably where people are coming from. Diamonds just aren''t a priority for some people. Crazy huh?
2.gif

So unless you live in NY or LA, a 2 carat stone in a halo IS going to be much fancier than most people''s rings...it''s a pretty big stone anywhere, especially if you don''t live in a big city.

It''s up to you whether you feel comfortable wearing it or not, but if you''ve got it flaunt it I say!
2.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
It is truly magnificant! And it is not TOO big. You will find in time to be just like little red riding hood...it is just right! It is so new to you right now...and your eyes are trying to soak it all in and there isn''t a resting spot for them just yet. When you become accustomed to it...you''ll feel better. Really.

You will always have BIG comments. Your pixie sized fingers make sure of that. Just let it roll off your back...smile and be glad you are blessed to have such a beauty!

Please work harder on the photos. We really must see what you and Mark designed. The ones so far are just a tease...not detailed enough. So get with it!

Hey, has anyone told you HOW BIG YOUR STONE LOOKS?
2.gif

DKS

Alison P

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. I hope I don''t come off as ungrateful.

The good news is, I do live in the LA area. (Palm Desert)

And wow!!! Does that halo ever change the size of the center stone!!!! I think I''m just stunned a little right now about all the factors you mentioned NeatFreak... you hit the nail on the head. I guess I feel a little bad because I designed it and picked the size and everything and so I should have realized these factors. Enough of my belly aching as this is supposed to be a happy time!

At the end of the day - I am really really lucky, not just about the ring, but mostly because I get to marry my very best friend in the whole world. Thanks everyone, for the nice comments on the ring.

Alison P

Rough_Rock
Thanks DKS!!! Your comments where put a big smile on my face. And NO!! You''re the first one!!!!
41.gif
Kidding...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is amazing and trust me you WILL get used to it! But you can get a pretty, thin diamond band to wear or even a plain one or a rolling ring if you are feeling on a given day you might be wary of wearing it, but it is STUNNING and you should enjoy it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! I wish I had your slim fingers.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alison, congratulations on your engagement. I love your ring; it''s gorgeous.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! That is absolutely stunning! You are one lucky girl! I can't believe how gorgeous that ring is on your hands...I need to go wipe some drool from my mouth!!! Wow, now you're making me rethink my plain solitaire I haven't even seen yet!!! Yikes! Wear that proudly and ENJOY it!!!

Congratulations on your engagement!

Harleigh

P.S. Do we get to hear the engagement story??? I think I see a little box with a bow wrapped around your cute dog's neck...am I right?

Elise

Rough_Rock
Congrats Alison! Your ring is a beauty! It does look rather significant but I don''t think it''s TOO big. Perhaps it might seem so cos you haven''t experienced DSS!
26.gif

Are you concerned about what your friends and family might say? If so, I would say just wear it with pride! Not everyone is lucky enough to have such a big beautiful ring and you are blessed to have such a generous loving FI to give you what you desire.

If you are concerned about safety issues, perhaps you can twirl it around to hide the stone on the underside of your hand in places where you feel it might be potentially dangerous?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it's really lovely! The setting is a knockout and the size is just perfect. It's not too big at all. It's substantial, without being overly large.
I love the lace style on the band. I also like that you decided to go with a thinner halo than the original design with two layers. It's really pretty and highlights your stone well.

ETA: If people comment on the size, you can always say that the halo makes the center stone look much larger than it really is...or something like that.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Alison, your ring is just stunning and it looks beautiful on you. Trust me, the day will come when you think you need a bigger ring
2.gif

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Alison... your ring is absolutely gorgeous and it looks wonderful on your finger. No need to explain anything to anyone!

And we really need more pix...

1.gif

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
MORE MORE MORE!!!!
30.gif
I need C L O S E U P S of that gorgeous ring! I''m so curious about the shank detail. What an incredible creation! And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE more details about the engagement, and stats on that beautiful stone
36.gif

I''m trying to avoid working here - c''mon, help a girl out!
28.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it looks STUNNING! You MUST get us better pictures or we''ll riot! It honestly doesn''t look too big or over the top to me! It looks perfect and gorgeous!

I think you''ll get used to the size of the ring very quickly. If you feel uncomfortable with people''s comments about it being big, just say the halo makes it look bigger and your fingers are small. Some people tell me my 1.5 radiant in a halo is big and I usually just shrug and make a joke about it, like "that''s what i was going for!" or something similar. If I start to feel awkward about it I point out the halo and say that it makes the stone look bigger.

I also think a lot of people don''t realize how much more you can get for your money when you shop online. At a local B&M, a very similar ring to mine (setting and diamond size) was literally twice the price of my ring! You just got more for your money because you''re a smart shopper!

Enjoy your new ring and don''t worry about it being too big! DSS will set in soon enough!
11.gif

FLgirl41

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/10/2007 11:14:12 PM
Author: Alison P

First of all congrats, your ring is beautiful. Like you I have smaller fingers. And I feel my stone looks bigger than it is. I have been having the same feelings to now that people have been seeing my ring. I just keep telling myself it is gorgious, and they don''t need to know we didn''t spend a lot of money on. Its just one of those things.

Just love it because your ring is stunning!!!!!!!!
30.gif

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
first of all, let me just say your ring is to DIE for, it is GORGEOUS!!
30.gif

secondly, i understand your concerns about what those around you think and feeling a bit self-conscious. however your fingers, though tiny, are also long so the ring looks proportional - albeit on the larger end of that scale. i think because it is a very classy design it looks beautiful, and definately not over the top. i remember when i first got my 1ct solitaire, i felt self-conscious about it and often hid my hand at my side around certain people (can you imagine?!). so i think it is very much a matter of just getting used to having a major piece of jewelry where there was none before! it took me about 6 months or so to get used to it, and once i was married and had the wband with it i felt MUCH better. odd, for a 1ct, i know, but i''m pretty conservative. now i''m upgrading the setting, with sidestones and a diamond wband, so see how it is?? [;-)

enjoy... it''s a stunner (in a VERY good way!)!

oh, and i don''t see anything wrong with, if you find you don''t get entirely used to wearing it in all situations, getting a modest ring to wear for those times when you prefer that look. or just get a wband that compliments your ering but can hold its own as well and just wear it alone sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results