shape
carat
color
clarity

My E-Ring Is Shrinking!!!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I found a three stone with much smaller side stones helps a lot! It gives a bit more bling and extends the amount of finger covered by diamond. Plus is a very classic and elegant look :))

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde said:
I found a three stone with much smaller side stones helps a lot! It gives a bit more bling and extends the amount of finger covered by diamond. Plus is a very classic and elegant look :))
This is a great idea. Then with a diamond eternity band, you'll blind those "moms" at the gym. =) If you get 0.50 on each side, you'll have a 2.5-carat ring. With another 1-carat for the eternity band, you'll have 3.5-carats on that finger!

jgny

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the "put it away". I have not had my RB for almost 2 months as it is being reset and I miss my bling. I'm sure when I get it back it will look HUGE to me. I would suggest taking the time to decide what you really want, and then change it down the line. For me, a lot of the pleasure of the process is designing and fleshing out what I really want. If you take the time to think through what you want, then no amount of seeing other women's rings will make you want *something else*. So I would suggest doing that and then if you want to change the actual setting, then do it at an upcoming anniversary.

In the meantime, maybe focus on the wedding band. Have you seen the Kate Beckinsale set - she uses a lot of small stacking rings.

FWIW, i think your ring looks beautiful on your hand! Simple, classic.

Kate-Beckinsale-Ring1-396x235.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can tell you honestly that putting it away is a great cure. I wear my ring only a couple of times a week. And when I have it on I feel like royalty. I have a halo which also helps.

Since you have a halo hope you don't mind if I share a few of my favorites with you?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ ... ct_id=5493 BGD's Sarah.

#151EE1 in the Pearlmans Bridal Collection http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelr ... gs/151EE1/

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelr ... /102PP1/7/ Beverky K airline halo.

http://shop.goodoldgold.com/index.cfm/a ... /catid/199 this Tacori halo with those drop dead gorgeous cadilac sidestone.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-ri ... ng-180.htm this style, a plain shanked halo is one of my favorite styles (my own ring is this style). So I thought I'd put an example out there for your consideration.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think your RB is lovely and it's my ideal size. i do think DSS is an evil creature and I have it too. My RB is 1 carat but the setting I chose (semi-bezel) seems to help it really look as big as possible without halo-ing it (I don't want to be responsible for any kind of pave/sidestones because I'm really busy with my hands). I think the classic tiffany setting isn't best at making diamonds look big, but that's just my opinion.

try googling "Grace Vatche"-- Whiteflash has that setting. It turns an RB into a square/cushion halo ring and it would add a ton of finger coverage. I love that ring, but it's just not "me".

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My advice is "don't do anything right now". This may not be popular, but I am not trying to be mean.

You have designed a ring and then chosen a different one for yourself, in a very different style - in 2 months. To me, it sounds like you don't know what you want yet. There are hundreds of lovely settings in the world, but you only have 1 e-ring (or maybe 2 or 3). I suggest you spend a lot of time lookng at settings, understanding their pros and cons so you don't get surprised again as in your original halo. Doodle rings until you are satisfied. Sleep on it for a few months until you are sure of the design, like you were getting a tattoo.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would focus on the wedding band - it can certainly turn up the bling factor on your already GORGEOUS ring!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain said:
My advice is "don't do anything right now". This may not be popular, but I am not trying to be mean.

You have designed a ring and then chosen a different one for yourself, in a very different style - in 2 months. To me, it sounds like you don't know what you want yet. There are hundreds of lovely settings in the world, but you only have 1 e-ring (or maybe 2 or 3). I suggest you spend a lot of time lookng at settings, understanding their pros and cons so you don't get surprised again as in your original halo. Doodle rings until you are satisfied. Sleep on it for a few months until you are sure of the design, like you were getting a tattoo.

Ditto this! Great advice. I am in a similar dilemma, and trying to take my time even though I want it to be done already, and have a gorgeous ring to wear. You will be wearing it a long time, and this decision making time is nothing in the long run.

I like the idea of the square-ish halo, it will be a perfect mix of your old and new rings.

TheMisses

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D said:
TakingthePlunge said:
I think whatever you decide you need to stick with it till youre actually married. It sounds like you need to step back and think this out cause at this point your throwing money away unless you have a great upgrade policy. If its gonna take a 3 carat then by all means get it but please be considerate to your fiance and dont waste money on "quick fixes" that wont last long

I agree with this actually. Don't do anything until you are sure it is what you want. If a larger diamond is what you really want, then a halo will not help that for very long. Save the pennies and work towards the upgrade. Does your jewler have an upgrade policy and good pricing? If then, then I suggest returning the ring (if you can) and buying from a online jeweler *if* upgrading is something you really think you will want to do.

But seeing your first e-ring, I really think that a halo that is more ornate will make you happy. A solitaire is pretty boring compared to your first ring!

My jeweler actually has a great upgrade policy, I can just hand this diamond in and get a new one with credit for what I paid for this one. I did want to wait until I was pregnant for a real upgrade, and putting it away for a while did help. I just can't wait until I get my bands because I think they will make a huge difference. Thanks for the advice!

TheMisses

Rough_Rock
Trade
Gypsy said:
I can tell you honestly that putting it away is a great cure. I wear my ring only a couple of times a week. And when I have it on I feel like royalty. I have a halo which also helps.

Since you have a halo hope you don't mind if I share a few of my favorites with you?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ ... ct_id=5493 BGD's Sarah.

#151EE1 in the Pearlmans Bridal Collection http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelr ... gs/151EE1/

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelr ... /102PP1/7/ Beverky K airline halo.

http://shop.goodoldgold.com/index.cfm/a ... /catid/199 this Tacori halo with those drop dead gorgeous cadilac sidestone.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-ri ... ng-180.htm this style, a plain shanked halo is one of my favorite styles (my own ring is this style). So I thought I'd put an example out there for your consideration.

These are delicious!!

TheMisses

Rough_Rock
Trade
starryeyed said:
Hi TheMisses! :wavey: You poor dear - DSS is a very real problem. You know what though? Whenever you look at your ring, you should think about the wonderful man who gave it to you. Don't worry about the diamonds other people have - it's just not that important. Heck, those big rocks may not even be real - CZ's are a HUGE industry. What matters is the guy and your relationship.

I really liked your first ring and your second one is wonderful too. Both look great on your finger. Maybe get a diamond eternity band for your wedding band. Then your e-ring won't be so lonely!

Let me ask you - are you happy with the guy though? I ask because before I met my darling husband, I was dating another guy who wanted to marry me. I remember thinking, "Well, if he gives me the 3-carat Cartier emerald cut ring, then I'll say yes." I realized that such a pre-condition was crazy and he wasn't the right guy for me. When my husband asked me several years later, he could have given me a soda can tab and I would have been thrilled.

I just don't want the DSS to really be a problem with the guy.

It is definately not him. I love him so much and he has been so perfect with me when it comes to this whole ring thing. I do think I will wait to upgrade. I will really try many different ones on and see what is perfect for me before I change it. Someone else on here said I don't know what I want and I think thats right.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D said:
Halo halo halo... I can see your halo.

It will make all the difference. Problem solved.

Yep.

A 1.5 carat in a halo will look huge and blingy. I think the reason you aren't happy is because the setting is so plain compared to what you had before (not that solitaires aren't lovely!).

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
Your mania seem to stem from wanting bragging rights. I must say that many of us upgrade or make changes for personal preferences versus bragging rights - ie. change shape, change color, go up in size, better cut. I have nothing against upgrades or changes and I am in no position to make comments on your financial situation (and in fact, I went through ering changes as well).

You noted that you don't want to make a change again because his mother and sisters think you are a spoiled brat and asked what you should do. My advice is for you to ask yourself if you are being a spoiled brat (nothing wrong with it as long as you actually recognize it). Your choice of words such as "yellow and cheap", "really want 3 carat, but can settle with 2", "seem so pedestrian" are not the words I typically hear someone describe their e-ring. I am sorry but I am just not as sympathic as the others here.

You want the ring to look bigger and more blingy ... go get a halo. Problem is that the melee is usually F or G so are you going to feel that the color difference is too great and your round diamond looks "yellow and cheap"? Your other option is to go up in budget and actually get a bigger rock but of course .. you and your fiance have to decide what makes sense.

Exactly this.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think as long as we love PS (and we do!) DSS is always going to be a problem. A halo is a great option if you are going for
more finger coverage. I loved your first ring too. I thought it looked great. It is important to have a ring you love, if you plan to
wear it for a lifetime. If you can afford the big 3 carat as a couple starting your life together, go for it. Many couples have so
many things on their plate at this time, it is just not feasible.

You do stand a real chance of being thought of as a brat by your FF family. If you stand back and look at it, it does look and sound
a little bratty. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. Sometimes, those early impressions are hard to change. But if you are
really unhappy with your ring, think hard about what you want, and then try to make the changes one last time.

If you are just wanting a 3 carat to keep up with others, then I would let that one go. You will never really be able to "keep up''.
There will always be someone who has a bigger rock or a setting you love.

It does help with DSS to put the ring away for a couple days and then look at it again. Hope you can find a solutions that satisfies
on all counts. Rest assured we all deal with this balance.

aandlshow2011

Rough_Rock
Both rings are simply beautiful and gorgeous! There are so many ways to go with this in terms of jazzing it up and making it more pleasing to the eye. Adding eternity bands, stacking or even haloing are options. You could even get a right hand ring (perhaps as a wedding gift from your FI) that is perhaps a bit larger which complements your e-ring/wedding ring. Or perhaps get that coveted 3 carat on your 3rd anniversary.

But seriously your ring is simply gorgeous.

afreebird

Shiny_Rock
I liked your first ring a lot better than the second one. The solitaire, while beautiful, does seem boring compared to your first setting. Also, if finger coverage is what you're going for, the first ring looked a whole lot larger on your hand than the solitaire. Just based on those pictures, it actually looks like you've downgraded.

I recommend just waiting. It kind of sounds like you don't know exactly what you want right now and are comparing yourself to others. That's a slippery slope, and it will lead to never feeling satisfied. I think an eternity band will definitely help snazz up your ring, after you get married.

Let your third ring be an upgrade for an anniversary or other special occasion. That way, it will satisfy you plus have some meaning other than being a big rock. If you wait for an upgrade, you shouldn't have to worry so much about what your soon-to-be inlaws think about it, because by then, you'll be the wife and they can't view you as a possibly opportunistic succubus.

goldeverything433

Rough_Rock
It sounds like you and your fiance need to educate yourself a little more on diamonds. Having a ring bigger than your head isn't necessarily what is important. A smaller size ring with better color, cut, and clarity than the rings you keep choosing might be a better choice for you. I think a diamond size around 1.51 carat with a good cut, SI1-IF clarity, and (D, E, or F) color added to a nice platinum Halo setting might be more satisfactory for you. It just seems like you two have little knowledge on diamonds or else you'd make a better choice. I color is awful and will never look nice regardless of the size. Also, where are you designing your rings? Bluenile.com has great prices on quality diamonds. You should look at rings in person to distinguish between different colors and clarity. Again, size isn't the most important part of buying an engagement ring (like so many women believe). If you're naive in your choice, you'll never be satisfied. My suggestion: Become more educated, look at rings in person, then make your next E-Purchase with a better idea of what exactly you want at a price within your budget. Good luck!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow, old thread! OP long gone?!

cheer--Sharon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1329237323|3126041 said:
HI:

cheer--Sharon

Yep, I hate it when old threads get pulled up...and the last couple of opinions??? "I color is awful and will never look nice regardless
of the size."...should be stated as an opinion.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't do anything right now, if you already changed it once.
I'm not saying changing it is wrong--but you can always change later.
If you're changing something a lot in a short period of time, it can be (it isn't always) something else is bothering you. Not necessarily the wrong guy--that's drastic--but weddings can make people nervous, there's a lot of planning involved and you're going into a whole new phase of life--it's nerve wracking. thinking about changing and changing and changing the ring can take your mind off that for a bit so that's how some people solve it.
But when the ring is changed to the point where you can't afford anymore (whatever that is, you sound like you are luckier financially than some, and it might take a while) then the real thing that is making you nervous is still there.
So I would say something to myself like, I won't change the ring until after the wedding--and then whatever you are really worrying about might become evident (and probably will turn out not to be a big deal).
And if it IS the ring, you'll still want to change after the wedding and can just go ahead and do it then, no sweat.

They are both beautiful rings BTW and both are very impressive--even if a few moms at the local gym do have bigger ones. Who knows what kind of debt they have or what they go home to (or even if they are not wearing realistic fakes. Some of that A--a or M------e can look very good in a 14k gold nicer setting, and you can get whatever size you want.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Whoops! Just saw that this is an old thread. Sorry.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333 said:
canuk-gal|1329237323|3126041 said:
HI:

cheer--Sharon

Yep, I hate it when old threads get pulled up...and the last couple of opinions??? "I color is awful and will never look nice regardless
of the size."...should be stated as an opinion.
agreed.

goldeverything433

Rough_Rock
Sorry, didn't realize this was an old thread. Came across it on Google and just wanted to give my opinion. And sure, me stating that I color is awful and doesn't look good on any diamond is completely opinionated. But who doesn't want a colorless diamond?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheMissus has left the building................ :shock: (She hasn't posted in 1.5 years)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
motownmama said:
TheMissus has left the building................ :shock: (She hasn't posted in 1.5 years)
I am curious now as to what happened,

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1329252957|3126211 said:
motownmama said:
she probably upgraded to a 2ct.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
goldeverything433|1329248173|3126159 said:
Sorry, didn't realize this was an old thread. Came across it on Google and just wanted to give my opinion. And sure, me stating that I color is awful and doesn't look good on any diamond is completely opinionated. But who doesn't want a colorless diamond?
uhhhh... tons of people? :nono:

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
+1. there are many people that have gorgeous I, J, K ,L, M, N, O-P colored stones. We can all show you NUMEROUS examples!!!! I love the irony of your post...you told the OP that she didn't know enough about diamonds and in just a few sentences you have CLEARLY demonstrated your ignorance.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
vtigger86 said:
Amys Bling|1329252957|3126211 said:
motownmama said:
she probably upgraded to a 2ct.

Maybe... :razz:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Kasey3|1329273782|3126447 said:
+1. there are many people that have gorgeous I, J, K ,L, M, N, O-P colored stones. We can all show you NUMEROUS examples!!!! I love the irony of your post...you told the OP that she didn't know enough about diamonds and in just a few sentences you have CLEARLY demonstrated your ignorance.
+1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results