shape
carat
color
clarity

my dream setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sleeping beauty

Shiny_Rock
Hello Everyone,

After looking through the web i think i have found my dream setting. It looks antique which i love. The only thing that kinda worries me is that i have never heard of the vendor before. The vendor is Sun jewelry. Has anyone heard of them? Let me know of your experience if you have done business with them. I think i attached the pic hope it worked. if not the link is below. Thanks for your help.

Here is the website:

http://sunjewelry.com/er3062.html

profileshot.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know there was a poster recently who purchased a stone & setting from Sun Jewelry. He was pleased afterwards though there were many posters who discouraged him.

I don't have any specific knowledge pro or con about Sun ... I DO think that the details in the "display" picture of your dream ring look slightly uneven to me ... which might worry me. If proceeding with Sun I highly recommend you stick with GIA certified stones and check out all stone stats through Pricescope resources & ask for pictures of the exact stones you choose BEFORE purchasing. Cushions are a tricky, tricky beast. Not many people have had good luck finding awesome ones without the guidence of an "expert" ... Mark at Engagementringsdirect.com has established a good reputation on Pricescope for having an "eye" for cushions (and at competative to awesome prices too).

Good luck ... keep us posted!

ETA: troublesome details I noticed in the pix: the side stones are set VERY unevenly, one sunk way down into the prongs. The center stone looks crooked. The bead work or miligraining seems blobby. The sizing bar doesn't look centered. FYI.

EETA: I see now it's actually an oval stones & oval sides ... same advice & feedback applies

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, the quality is not great. Would you consider having something similar custom made? Also, check out Tacori rings for antique designs done well (I''m biased since I have one, but I love it!)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spoke with them on the phone once about a piece of jewelery that they had that was of particular interest to me. The rep was nice; I got the impression that they had access to alot of merchandise but that they were not really familiar with any of it. They could just order it for you. If I was going to spend that amount of money, I would want to be able to speak to someone that had some knowledge of the piece or the manufacturer. I would probably email that picture to some vendors to see about having something similar to it made. It may cost more money, but in the end it could save you some headaches and heartaches.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Decodelighted summed it up nicely. I would be very worried about the quality of the setting when the picture doesn''t look like it is well made at all. The ring is $4800 which is a very nice budget. I would think you could get another vendor to make something similar for about the same about depending on what you chose for your center oval and you be guarenteed a better quality ring that will last for years to come
1.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one on Dimend Scaasi''s web site that looks similar to the one from Sun Jewelry without the engraving. It has the swoopy sides like the one you like. I bet they could make it with ovals instead of rounds and if I remember correctly, someone had Dimend Scaasi add engraving to the sides (I think it was Stonecrab??) A lot of people here have worked with this company and they have a good reputation. Maybe something to consider...
2.gif

http://www.dscaasi.com/engagement/3stone/pages/1B1.asp

dscassi3stone.jpg

miaomy

Rough_Rock
I spoke with them a number of times because I was impressed with the variety of e-rings settings they offer. I did not end up purchasing from them after I discovered this site and learned about the importance of the cut of the stones. Many of the stones are graded in house and they refer to them as "fine" or "very fine" cuts. I ended up going with a vendor offering ideal cut stones.

They are very accomodating if you email or call in.

sleeping beauty

Shiny_Rock
ETA: troublesome details I noticed in the pix: the side stones are set VERY unevenly, one sunk way down into the prongs. The center stone looks crooked. The bead work or miligraining seems blobby. The sizing bar doesn''t look centered. FYI.

decodelighted:
I didnt even noticed all that, of course after you mentioned it i couldnt takes my eyes off of it. Thanks for the FYI.

choochoo: Tacori has lovely rings but i think they might be a little out of my bf budget. I would rather have a no name setting and invest the rest of the money on a nicer stone.

pebbles: I liked that ring you showed, however what i liked most about Sun''s.. ring was the engraved part.

Overall, my bf and i werent planning on buying the ring as a whole. we were planning on purchasing the stone from another vendor. Maybe i can get something similar made without all the troublesome details. WOW, this is hard stuff, how dissapointed i am right now. i thought my search could have been over but it had just begun. (i really liked that) Any ideas who does custom work?

Thanks everyone for all you input.
36.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t despair! You''ve got a great idea about what you want & it''s totally doable. I''d search on pricescope for thread on "antique settings" or "engraved settings" ... lots of people have wanted antique-ish or engraved rings in the last few years and many, many companies make nice ones (not just Tacori ... who''s been having some quality control problems recently DESPITE their high designer prices)

I''ll be looking around to see if I see something similar to your dream ring, as I''m sure other P-scopers will.

Not sure where you''re located, but I found a great antique style setting in white gold & had it re-made in platinum from a place in the diamond district in NYC. If you want to go in person and see TONS of settings in person, NYC is a great place to visit!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
WF does antique style settings. For ideas you should also check out www.faycullen.com . Don''t despair as Deco said. Now you know what you want. That is half the battle. Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results