shape
carat
color
clarity

My Dream Ring: 8.1mm European Cut Diamond

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dreamer, I can see what you are saying with the first three, but I can't understand what is wrong with the 3 stone keystone? Mush? In which case, that is exhibited I think in one of my sidestones (the flatter crown one).

btw, I mentioned the seller you bought it from because I found an eternity ring she is selling (I knew the seller was familiar). She seems to sell for a bargain. If you have her saved, go look it up!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and yes...it's the brightness I noticed first on mine (I opened it in my office under fluoro lighting).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1342301085|3233963 said:
btw, the lady that you bought the 3 stone from...did you see that she had a 1.8 that she sold for $3500? I couldn't make much out from the pics, but she seems to have quite a collection....

Yes, she and I chat on e-mail and we talked about that stone! She buys at auctions near herself.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
She must buy for dirt cheap! I should probably save her as a seller! :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1342301270|3233964 said:
Dreamer your new ring is just beautiful! :love:

I am so happy that you found a ring that makes your heart sing. It's been a long, interesting journey but oh what a happy ending!

I truly am thrilled for you with your newfound happiness - must be such a satisfying feeling!!

Thanks! I feel very satisfied :D Size, color, cut, clarity, setting -- never had all those boxes checked before! I always compromised somewhere (never cut of course ;)) ) but in the end I needed everything to really be happy.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1342301967|3233970 said:
Thanks Dreamer, I can see what you are saying with the first three, but I can't understand what is wrong with the 3 stone keystone? Mush? In which case, that is exhibited I think in one of my sidestones (the flatter crown one).

btw, I mentioned the seller you bought it from because I found an eternity ring she is selling (I knew the seller was familiar). She seems to sell for a bargain. If you have her saved, go look it up!

Well, there is not much wrong with the 7mm, it is a classic OEC (I edited the post because the pics I had were confusing). It just does not excell in overhead lighting, like many stones from that era. But really, I just wanted a bigger one :devil:

I'll look her up now!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1342302942|3233985 said:
TravelingGal|1342301967|3233970 said:

Well, there is not much wrong with the 7mm, it is a classic OEC (I edited the post because the pics I had were confusing). It just does not excell in overhead lighting, like many stones from that era. But really, I just wanted a bigger one :devil:

I'll look her up now!

I just saw the comment about my stone's table. It does appear to have a pretty small table, but I don't have the numbers on it...even the basic measurements. :lol:

I think you will be QUITE impressed by me. I'm having a pair of earrings made by 23rd street...diamonds studs I won from ERD. This time I asked them to weigh them AND measure them :praise: (as I have no idea since they didn't come with papers.)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw, I am curious as to what was the issue with the space you did highlight on the 3 stone? If you hadn't, I wouldn't have seen anything in it (and I didn't obviously even though you highlighted it.)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw Dreamer, if you want a compliment on a job well done, here it is...

I felt I had seen your ring before....something was deja vu about it.

See below. First, the pic of George you posted. The next one is a CAD pic of my ring. Look at the facet pattern of the ideal old cut diamond they use for their computer renderings. Uncanny eh? ;)) (not to mention the setting and prongs itself!)

george_1.jpg

cad1.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1342302827|3233983 said:
MissGotRocks|1342301270|3233964 said:
Dreamer your new ring is just beautiful! :love:

I am so happy that you found a ring that makes your heart sing. It's been a long, interesting journey but oh what a happy ending!

I truly am thrilled for you with your newfound happiness - must be such a satisfying feeling!!

Thanks! I feel very satisfied :D Size, color, cut, clarity, setting -- never had all those boxes checked before! I always compromised somewhere (never cut of course ;)) ) but in the end I needed everything to really be happy.

To the victor go the spoils - you've scored pay dirt with this new ring!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Amazing! Beautiful! I would just love to see that stone in person.

(I have to admit that I'll be sad if this is the end of your quest as I've loved learning so much and getting to see several beautiful stones!)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that is one gorgeous stone!!! :love: :love: :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1342287166|3233873 said:
Gypsy|1342245452|3233685 said:
Gorgeous stone! Wear it in great health! I'm so happy you have found your love!!! Are you going to keep the setting as is? 1.8 carats high color and great clarity! What more can you ask for! Can I ask what you paid (ballpark? or at least a range)?

I am keeping the setting as it is, I love the specs. I paid more than I would usually pay on ebay because of the cut quality, but still a good amount below retail. If you can even find a diamond cut like this retail. I have not seen one at OWD or JBEG in years.

Oh I totally agree, I pay more when something is exactly what I want too. I think you got a great stone, and I'm glad you are keeping it in that setting, it's a very protective home for the stone and suits it's age. Congrats again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Family heirloom...perfect! :appl: It certainly will be one as I hope you'll eventually have a granddaughter to leave it to!!!

I have really appreciated all the info on light return on old cuts!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
It's absolutely gorgeous and looks amazing on you! Congratulations on another beautiful find. :love:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D,

It's absolutely beautiful! It's a nice size but doesn't look too over the top. I hope you enjoy wearing it for a very long time.

liz

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
It's a beautiful stone Dreamer! Congratulations!!

Cachette :))

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing diamond and ring, Dreamer! So glad you've found your dream ring! Wear it in good health!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a beautiful ring and stone!! I also saved this auction, and I believe the selling price was a goodly savings from the original price, way to go on the negotiations!

With a 1.9c size and a 8.1mm spread combined with the dead-on symmetry and almost lack of a culet, it definitely speaks more to the late transitional, early MRB look. It also is probably more likely it's a higher color, maybe not G but not the lower colors that so many of the older OEC's are known for. Will you have it unset and appraised and/or certed?

My 3.33 shows great arrow tips which at first I wasn't sure about, because I almost don't like seeing any hint of arrows in my old stones, if I wanted arrows I'd get a MRB! But those fatty chunky arrows are a lot different looking than the splintery arrows we see with the H&A stones, more appealing to me. and so much flashier on performance! I would imagine your stone throws a goodly amt of white light but maybe not so much on the fire? It also probably faces up whiter due to to the nature of the cut.

Now that I have a few bigger OEC's to play with, I like looking at the differences and comparing them. I find that I really love having a variety of the old stones to enjoy and appreciate. I love a great symmetrical transitional but also the truly old fashioned OEC's with still very good patterning and symmetry but might show some head obstruction. My 3.33 does not show one hint of head obstruction which is also why I really loved it over the other stone I was considering, for a ring stone I wanted one without head obstruction. But I have an OEC pendant and it shows some classic head obstruction when photographing but not on the neck because that's not how it's viewed... so those stones can be really great for pendants.

re: being a big solitaire girl, I could have told you that way back when, lots of things you have said really lend towards that feeling ...but sometimes it's fun to figure it out on your own!

More pics!! I can't wait to see what your journey is with this latest find!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1342324529|3234149 said:
what a beautiful ring and stone!! I also saved this auction, and I believe the selling price was a goodly savings from the original price, way to go on the negotiations!

With a 1.9c size and a 8.1mm spread combined with the dead-on symmetry and almost lack of a culet, it definitely speaks more to the late transitional, early MRB look. It also is probably more likely it's a higher color, maybe not G but not the lower colors that so many of the older OEC's are known for. Will you have it unset and appraised and/or certed?

I think G color is pretty optimistic, but I do think the stone is near colorless. WIll be curious to see what my appraiser says this week. There is a culet I can see with my naked eye, but yes it is super small. Wearing it and looking at it, it looks like a super duper chunkster RB, which I think is really ideal for me. I really like symmetry and I like how when you move the diamond the on-off-on-off is predictable around the diamond. It definitely gets that checkerboardy look in some lighting. I would like to get a lab report for it because I like that sort of thing, its interesting to have. I'd like a sarin too. But I don't really have anyone local I would trust to unset the stone :nono: So that will have to wait a while.

My 3.33 shows great arrow tips which at first I wasn't sure about, because I almost don't like seeing any hint of arrows in my old stones, if I wanted arrows I'd get a MRB! But those fatty chunky arrows are a lot different looking than the splintery arrows we see with the H&A stones, more appealing to me. and so much flashier on performance! I would imagine your stone throws a goodly amt of white light but maybe not so much on the fire? It also probably faces up whiter due to to the nature of the cut.

These arrows are quite different than MRB arrows, bold chunks rather than splinters. The stone has lots of good spectral colors but the major thing it does is scintillate really well, big boldflashes. I have never really been a fire type -- I am not sure if its my glasses or someting about my eyes, but I never really notice fire much. Its usually overcast here too ;)) So for me the main thing I want is bold flashy chunky scintillation with good patterning and edge to edge light play, and this stone has that in spades. In environments that pull for colored light return, like under a tree, the blocky rainbows on the diamonds are something else. It really is an ideal cut for me and what I enjoy about diamonds.

Now that I have a few bigger OEC's to play with, I like looking at the differences and comparing them. I find that I really love having a variety of the old stones to enjoy and appreciate. I love a great symmetrical transitional but also the truly old fashioned OEC's with still very good patterning and symmetry but might show some head obstruction. My 3.33 does not show one hint of head obstruction which is also why I really loved it over the other stone I was considering, for a ring stone I wanted one without head obstruction. But I have an OEC pendant and it shows some classic head obstruction when photographing but not on the neck because that's not how it's viewed... so those stones can be really great for pendants.

I'm pretty sure this will be my only really large diamond, but I would like to find a great cut in the style of TGals pendant one day, maybe under 1ct, because I agree, it is really cool to have different flavours.

re: being a big solitaire girl, I could have told you that way back when, lots of things you have said really lend towards that feeling ...but sometimes it's fun to figure it out on your own!

More pics!! I can't wait to see what your journey is with this latest find!

HA! You are prescient ;)) I think I was pretty convinced I could not find a stone this size in my budget that met my desires for near colorless and great optics -- an RB this big is out of my budget (what I am willing to spend, not what we could theoretically afford I mean). Anyways, this stone is a one in a million. I won't say its a forever stone for me, but I have no desire for larger or different!

My husband told me it is so big it looks like the headlamp on a miner's helmet. He is right. It is almost embarassingly large. I am sure I will get used to it. I can always reset this stone to a mount without the bezel which would make it a little less conspicuous :lol: Its true I get a little self-conscious about such a large diamond, but I tried smaller diamonds and bands and a three stone and it just did not cut it for me -- I wanted a big diamond. I like larger diamonds because they are bold but also because the optics are really totally different when you get into the bigger sizes. The light play on this stone is mind blowing! Bigger facets = awesomesauce.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1342310309|3234037 said:
Amazing! Beautiful! I would just love to see that stone in person.

(I have to admit that I'll be sad if this is the end of your quest as I've loved learning so much and getting to see several beautiful stones!)

Well I think this is the end of my quest for a big old cut. I suppose there are other reasons to buy diamonds! I don't seem to be able to resist.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, wow, wow!!! :love: :love: :love:

Dreamer, I have no idea how i missed this yesterday - congratulations on your long journey to get this GORGEOUS stone and ring. And it's all done - no resetting! How awesome! It's gorgeous - enjoy your beautiful ring!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Your dream come true. Soooo great! :loopy: I have been lurking a bit, but not posting much. I have learned so much
from you, thank you for sharing this long quest. That stone is phe nom en al. Good for you and good for all of us to learn.

I have backed off from Asschers a bit, and am thinking of a cushion in low Leon type claws kinda like a fat lozenge set low or an OEC in an octagon bezel. It is weird how there is a movement of people liking the same thing at the same time with the octagon shape. I was inspired by an oec in an auction catalog similar to yours a couple of months ago, but it was a pin and about 4 carats :Up_to_something: I'm concerned about keeping an Asscher really really clean to keep it sparkly. I'm sure George will have regular spa days all the time.
Long live George!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. This is an incredible find.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And I want to say thank you so much to everyone who has popped in to share in my excitement!

Demelza Ring twins!!!

Gypsy I want to see a nice big old cut on your hand soon.

ksmom I am thrilled. Your diamond is one I have admired and had in my head as a style of old cut I would love to find one day. Wouldn't it be fun to compare them in real life? Too bad we all live in different parts of the world.

armywife when are you going to share your own ring??

katsullivan Thanks! She knocks me out for sure.

HopeDream I plan to wear her every day! I need to resize the ring first -- its so huge right now it spins around and I need to wear a wb on the outside to prevent her falling right off!

Andelain Thanks! Welcome back too.

Ashleigh I said it before, but if you like this look an August Vintage OEC may be a good option.

Rosetta My sentiments exactly ;))

lknvrb4 Thanks!!

Yenny Well, I think YOUR ring is a match made in heaven. Mine is more mundane :lol:

missy Thanks! And I'll try for some more pics soon!

Alene Thanks! I love your reset too.

Thanks May! I hope you get your diamond set soon into something you love.

good_luxe_girl The setting is very delicate, I'm surprised it is so strong, but that is die struck methods for you, they are really strong.

bella haha.. no more. Seller mostly has tiffany and other ame brands.

mom2boys well I have no idea! I would like something antique with milgrain or engraving, but it needs to be pretty dainty, like 2mm wide but only about 1.2mm thick! I think it might be hard to find.

oooo-shiney Thanks!

rubybeth Yes, I will keep the setting as-is. It is really nice in person, not what I would have picked --- if I could ever pick :cheeky: -- but I like it. The stone is set about 1.5mm higher than I would like so perhaps one day I will reset, maybe, but not any time soon.

Thanks packrat!

charmypoo beat ya to it!

enerchi more photos coming soon!

stargurl I would love to keep the Aurora but George cost more than I had intended to spend, and I am a one ring kind of gal!

tigian I think so ::)

junebug your lovely ring was a big motivator for me, I love this size.

dani Thanks you!!!!

MrsM Thanks so much!

Mowtownmama Thanks! I dont have plans for the 7mm yet.

justginger well, George is no poppy :sun: but I do love her!

diamondseeker I can't imagine what would be a better one for me! I think my husband will send me to the funny farm if I ever wanted larger, but you never know! I'll keep you in mind as George's second owner ;)) Oh, and I was thinking -- if a three stone is what you are after then I think a smaller center IS the way to go. About 7mm with side stones would look really nice in terms of a balanced collection with your solitaire. Even 6.5mm with sides! Any bigger in the center and I think the three stone will just overpower your solitaire!

tyty Thank you my dear!!

sparklyOEC Thanks! Any luck finding your own dream stone yet?

libbyLA Thanks, I hope to enjoy her a good long while.

cachette thanks!

KimNAny luck in your search?

webdiva Thanks so much!

backwardsandinheels Yes, good spa days. I need a new US machine :read:

ame I agree!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I should be getting my baby around the end of August (happy dance :bigsmile: ), for now I have been making due with drooling over pictures Erica took. I really need to either find a better camera or get one of those clips for the iPhone before August because the macro on my camera is HORRIBLE!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1342376436|3234376 said:
And I want to say thank you so much to everyone who has popped in to share in my excitement!

sparklyOEC Thanks! Any luck finding your own dream stone yet?

No, not yet, but when our money isn't tied up, I'm seriously "calling" you on RT for your help!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Can I make a special educational purposes request? Do you have any H&A modern RB handy? Can you do a side by side photo comparison?

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer,
I am so happy for you! It is truly an exceptional stone. For some reason it reminds me of ocean, it looks like it reflects light "in waves", and the light moves from center to the edges of the stone. It gives an impression of constant movement.

Amazing find! I know i'm not the first one to say it, but if you decide to upgrade in the future, send me an email :).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1342398310|3234500 said:
Can I make a special educational purposes request? Do you have any H&A modern RB handy? Can you do a side by side photo comparison?

I wish I had some large MRBs laying around! But I have photos of my former RB at about the same angle as the arrow show, and I can post that. Maybe some other comparisons too. I have a favourite place and way to take photos of diamonds and so many of the shots and lighting and angles will likely look the same!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results