shape
carat
color
clarity

My CS Year 2015

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your kind words about the Amethyst, and I hope I shall have the means to set it soon as I love it.

DK :))

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DK sorry the stones are disappointing. Please post photos when you can so that others can learn from your experience. Can you return the stones?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1430519393|3870843 said:
Hi DK sorry the stones are disappointing. Please post photos when you can so that others can learn from your experience. Can you return the stones?

I can probably return them, however, at this moment in time, I lack the will to do so. Besides, keeping them will remind me the need to be more discerning and selective with my future purchases.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1430519704|3870845 said:
ricezo|1430519393|3870843 said:

I can probably return them, however, at this moment in time, I lack the will to do so. Besides, keeping them will remind me the need to be more discerning and selective with my future purchases.

Love this

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics of the two topazes that I bought from Caratsgems recently.

caratsgemsbluetopaz.jpg
caratsgemsblue_whitetopaz.jpg

I may set the blue topaz as it looks quite nice without a loupe.

Here are the comparison pics of the 11mm white topaz that had "precision" in its description, next to my 10mm+ white topaz from Jeff White:

whitetopaz_01.jpg whitetopaz_02.jpg
whitetopaz_03.jpg

Jeff's stone is in the foreground of the last pic, and it is deeper. I am no expert, however, I believe the last pic shows more light leakage in the bigger and shallower topaz.

Not sure if it is obvious in the comparison pics, however, JW's topaz is definitely superior in cut quality and more sparkly than the bigger topaz.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The blue pops on your hand! It looks good in the photo. Does it look less nice in real life then?

I love the high crown on the JW stone :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Different design + different level of skill = different performance + different pricing.

I would send it back anyway. Every bit of money back helps towards the next project! :lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Chrono: send back the stones you do not love. There is no use in keeping stones unloved and unset. Every penny that goes towards your dreamstones or a quality setting will be helpful.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am keeping the trillion blue topaz as I would probably set it for day wear when I have the money to spare, just a simple bezel setting in 14K WG, as it looks fine to my un-trained and un-aided eyes.

I paid very little for the white topaz, as I learnt that the vendor would accept "Best Offer" after bidding and winning the blue topaz, and deliberately went very low to test the water/limit, and was surprised to find my offer was accepted! :twisted:

It is more hassle than it is worth to return it to be honest.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom,

I did not want to thread-jack your thread, so here's my plan for 2015 and 2016.

Currently, nothing else except to continue to pay for my 17mm+ Danburite with Jeff W.

Still counting on Gene to cut me a green/blue tourmaline when he has the time to spare.

Hoping to set the RH amethyst before the year ends.

Nothing else planned until I have the money to spare, and spending money on jewellery is at the bottom of my list of priorities for the next 6 to 9 months. However, I would like to have my Sea of Cortez mabe pearl set if I have the money to spare, as it would be a nice ring to add to my "work jewellery" wardrobe. :))

If all goes according to plan, I am off to Hong Kong later this year, and I may just treat myself to some bling while I am out there, as the trip will coincide with the trade show for jewellery manufacturers. :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

For 2016, I am hoping for a bigger aquamarine by Jeff W. Again, if all goes according to plan, I shall be in LA to meet up with other enthusiasts of pearls for their annual ruckus in July, and I may treat myself for a few pearl items while I am out there.

Of course, everything can change at a drop of a hat, it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind afterall. :lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great short- and longterm planning DK! You truly have something to look forward to. Including pearl- and tradeshows :appl:
I have never been to one. Seems it requires enormous self control. I try not to look at the pearl thread here on PS. I love pearls!
Hopefully we can add that green of yours in the Precision Gem blue green Afghan tourmaline thread.

Ah, I can see what you mean by not seding the topaz back...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words.

My list of essential house maintenance just had another item added to it. I am sure the house is telling me to look after it more, and not to spend the money on jewellery. :rolleyes:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
DK I'm looking forward to seeing your danburite pearl clasp! What kind of pearls will you wear it with?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1430910454|3872858 said:
DK I'm looking forward to seeing your danburite pearl clasp! What kind of pearls will you wear it with?

ricezo,

My intention is to set the Danburite into a clasp that can take different strands of pearls, either a single strand of bigger pearls, or double strands of smaller ones.

With this in mind, I may have more than one clasp made, so that I can chop and change at will.

I have a heart shaped chequer board cut Chatham ruby already with the intention to set it as pearl clasp. Bought it off eBay a good few years ago as it is quite big (about 20mm), has quite a lot of silk so it is semi-opaque, however it has a lovely raspberry red colour that I love. Can't post pic as it is a synthetic, sorry.

May add a nice purple clasp to the collection. :)) Perhaps an aquamarine and a Sea of Cortez mabe too! :bigsmile:

Pearls that I would like to add to my collection:

A strand of round blue Tahitians (I only have 2 strands of baroques at present), AA/AAA quality, 13-15mm in size
A strand of silver South Seas baroques (my stand of silver SSP is quite decent, and can be converted if required), 14-16mm in size
A double strand of metallic Freshadamas in 7-8mm
A double strand of blue baroque Akoyas in 7-8mm (I may convert my existing strand instead, by adding a few more pearls to it, as it is quite decent)

That should do it for me with pearls, she says!

DK :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rough of my 17mm+ round Danburite from Jeff White:

jwdan003before.jpg

DK :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1430944708|3873154 said:
The rough of my 17mm+ round Danburite from Jeff White:

jwdan003before.jpg

Yay! I love photo's from rough! I can already envision a beautiful cut stone!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, looks like a piece of rock sugar!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It reminds me of a piece of broken glass.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1431002116|3873397 said:
It reminds me of a piece of broken glass.

:bigsmile: that too!

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
dk168|1430857896|3872569 said:
Thanks for the kind words.

My list of essential house maintenance just had another item added to it. I am sure the house is telling me to look after it more, and not to spend the money on jewellery. :rolleyes:

My house is telling me the same thing. New heating/air conditioning system, new pool stairs, kitchen reno..... Must stop looking at jewels... But seriously, I cannot wait to see how Jeff cuts that danburite!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news that you will be able to set your Ammy soon. And perhaps also acquire the gunmetal grey spinel 8-)
That danburite cannot be cut soon enough :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1431047043|3873735 said:
Great news that you will be able to set your Ammy soon. And perhaps also acquire the gunmetal grey spinel 8-)

Thank you!

I breathed a huge sigh of relief this afternoon after being informed I have a job lined up, it's for a 6-month contract, however, it is a start for certain.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1431047968|3873742 said:
Acinom|1431047043|3873735 said:

Thank you!

I breathed a huge sigh of relief this afternoon after being informed I have a job lined up, it's for a 6-month contract, however, it is a start for certain.

That's great news DK!! Congrats with this 6 month job. It sure is a great start. When is your first day?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1431048275|3873749 said:
That's great news DK!! Congrats with this 6 month job. It sure is a great start. When is your first day?

Mon 18 May, and no more dreaded polo shirts, and I can wear business bling!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats DK!! :appl:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations DK! What great news. Good luck with your first day!! :)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Congrats DK!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1431049435|3873759 said:
Acinom|1431048275|3873749 said:

Mon 18 May, and no more dreaded polo shirts, and I can wear business bling!

Enjoy a full week of pre-new-job holiday celebration!
And yay for no polo shirts and a lot of business bling. And yay to the gunmetal spinel :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations - its a win-win-win! 1) $$; 2) opportunity to wear bling!!! 3) Since you'll be working, less time to be tempted with more stones that you must have. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results