shape
carat
color
clarity

My Christmas Money Project!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Woooo-hooooo!!!!
After talking with the hubby about if I really needed to be practical with some money I got for Christmas, it was decided that I can use it to start a project! Given that we came in really under budget for the wedding, plus he just got offered a job, made for the perfect timing :)

This LOGR setting is what I''ve been looking at for a little while.

I''m looking for a deep red stone to go in here. Anyone want to help?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for a 6mm garnet. Did you have a specific budget for the stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2009 9:12:30 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Oh yeah! A reddish spessartite.
30.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 9:15:51 PM
Author: Chrono

Oh yeah! A reddish spessartite.
30.gif

I like the way you are thinking, Chrono! I got a reddish spess for my baby sis for Christmas and I loooove it.

charbie- a budget would help us search for you.

charbie

Ideal_Rock

not tooooooo specific. under $200 preferably. given what i''ve read about LOGR, its good stuff for the price, but obviously not top of the line, so i don''t want to drop tons on a stone when i''m not doing the same for the setting, you know?

i''m looking for a deep red, like a scarlet. This is going to be my Ohio State ring :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s slightly too large, but I don''t know what the LOGR wiggle room is.
Spinel

These are a pair, but still come in under budget, so maybe save the other for a pendant?
Barry garnet

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pretty 6 mm umbalite garnet from clearcutgems that comes in under budget at $90. Link Stone G8. And, he is currently having a 50% off sale, so if you decide this week, it will come in at $45.
2.gif
ETA - I see that this might be pinker than you are looking for. I'll keep looking.

clearcutumb6mmG8.jpg

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 9:29:58 PM
It''s slightly too large, but I don''t know what the LOGR wiggle room is.

Spinel

These are a pair, but still come in under budget, so maybe save the other for a pendant?

Barry garnet

craziness...i actually looked at both of those. i really liked barry''s pair, but i think they might be a bit too orange. and i don''t know if there is enough wiggle room for the spinel.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could also ask Bob Kast to cut something for you, his gems are very budget friendly, and a rich deeper red garnet shouldn''t be hard to find the rough for.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gary Dutton has a Burmese spinel that is the correct size and budget. Link It is red and the concave faceting will add a lot of sparkle.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 10:25:11 PM
You could also ask Bob Kast to cut something for you, his gems are very budget friendly, and a rich deeper red garnet shouldn''t be hard to find the rough for.

i emailed him! this is really starting to feel like a real project! yay!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 10:39:08 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Gary Dutton has a Burmese spinel that is the correct size and budget. Link It is red and the concave faceting will add a lot of sparkle.

very pretty...not sure i''m crazy about the cut, tho. thanks for looking...not sure it is my style.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 10:25:11 PM

Thanks, mtg! Bob is gonna cut a garnet for me, like you said he is friendly to the budget, perfect for this ring. Now on to order the setting!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
My garnet is here! Yay! 6.1mm, 1.27ct.
My hubby and his dad are working on our bathroom reno, and keep turning off the power, so I can''t upload pics right now since the internet is out. Ill be sure to post tomorrow! I love the color, and the cut is great! It does have an inclusion (gassy bubbles) but it shouldn''t be an issue for me.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t wait to see it.
36.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
And here it is!

charbieg9.jpg

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Now for the kicker. The inclusion. Here is a picture where you can see it. Opinions/Thoughts are welcome.

charbieg8.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s lovely Charbie!

I have a cushion red spinel in that LOGR setting, and I really love it!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
this shows the color. its more red in real life...not at pinky.

charbieg4.jpg

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i can''t believe the color. most garnets ive ever seen have been very dark/almost black or like merlot, which to me means ive never seen anything well cut :)

charbieg5.jpg

charbie

Ideal_Rock

charbieg3.jpg

charbie

Ideal_Rock
last one in case anyone has something more they''d like to see to give more advice :)

charbieg10.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
12.gif
Nice! I like the darker colours.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little dark but still quite nice for a garnet. Is it purplish red? The inclusion(s) is barely noticeable so nothing to be concerned over. The precision cutting should make the stone sparkly and attractive to the eye. Have you checked it out both indoors and outdoors? Fluorescent, halogen, and incandescent?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results