shape
carat
color
clarity

My Big Prasiolite "Fun Ring": What To Do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I need some advice. I''ve been mulling this over for a while.

In April, my dear husband took me into a jeweler''s store in the lobby of his studio. I suppose he wanted some birthday ideas, and this jeweler is v.reputable here, it''s a small personally-owned store, and it was closing due to the owner''s health issues. The owner was v.dedicated to his store and only employed two assistants, and it was not a custom work type of store. Just established jewelry lines.

Well, this big Prasiolite ring leaped out at me as being v.fun. (You''ve seen my first topic on the 12mm Amethyst Asscher -- I like them big!) Being Prasiolite, it was of course on the lower end of the price spectrum for PS lovelies, and after pricing out custom settings, I know the bulk of the value of the ring is in the setting and not the stone. Dare I use "affordable", even though my non-jewelry-loving husband would NOT agree that jewelry is ever "affordable"!

Lighting in the store was v.fluorescent and the picture seems a little darker than reality, but I never got the ring over to the window for some natural light. I know I know . . . I was not active on PS and we didn''t approach it as knowledgeable buyers. But . . . this is a FUN ring, not a major investment purchase. He took the camera to work the next day at my request, and took the pic I''m attaching. I sat here and looked at it a while, liked the overblown fun size of it, and then I was surprised the next week. The studio was having a release party that night for their new game, and he had taken the day off, but lured me back to the store by claiming he needed to submit some form or other, but really he was going to buy that ring. I tried it on again, looked around at the other fun sparklies on clearance, and then when I ran out to the car to check the meter, he bought it. My birthday was not for a few more days, but he wanted me to wear it to the release party that night. Woohoo!

But out of the store, I noticed a rather large "void" in the stone. Depending on the viewing angle, as much as 1/4 of the surface can be thrown into a shadow. This wasn''t so obvious in the store, but with hindsight I can look back on the store shots he took and see the precursors. Being a store closure, all sales were final, and I didn''t even bother pursuing it b/c I partially feel that either this is the nature of the cut, and/or that I was uneducated and that''s what I get. I know. I shy away from confrontation to a fault.

So! I''m not going to dwell on what''s done, I merely want to move forward and so this is what I want to accomplish here:

First, I want to know: Is this merely indicative of the cushion checkerboard cut? I''ve been trying to find similar stones, especially of this size, and viewing the spinning videos of stones on Paraiba International leads me to also see this shadow void effect. At least I think I see it.

Second, if this IS the result of a poor cut, is it something that could be remedied by sending the existing stone to one of the PS favorite cutters? Obviously since the majority of the cost of the ring was due to the setting, I want to ensure that the stone would still keep the top measurements to be fit back into the prongs with the same look. I wondered if the "remedy" could occur by only altering the underside of the stone. Does that make sense?

OR, is that more trouble than it''s worth, since it''s Prasiolite, and should I just scrap the stone and ask someone to please cut a new stone with these dimensions?

Here is the ring as it appeared in the store. More will follow that show the "void".

PixyPrasiolite1.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Is this perhaps a "window" problem that everyone mentions with a negative connotation?

PixyPrasiolite2.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
It just throws me off b/c here, looking at it head-on, it seems great.

PixyPrasiolite3.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Then your viewing angle changes ever so slightly, and you''re facing a big void.

This is why I''ve been paranoid that this is simply a characteristic of the cushion checkerboard cut.

Am I being clueless?

PixyPrasiolite4.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Last one.

This is v.similar to the second picture, and I''m betting at this size that you probably can''t tell, but the void when worn takes on a more fleshy tone, and in macro uber-big format, you can tell it''s fleshy b/c you can see the dry skin patterns. So . . . window??

PixyPrasiolite5.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fiery,
The head on picture looks great so it seems like you don''t have a window problem. What I suspect you are seeing is a window tilt which is normal. You will get it in a lot of gemstones depending on the style of cut and the material itself. In your case, I doubt it can be improved with a recut.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 4:13:34 PM
Author: Chrono
Fiery,

The head on picture looks great so it seems like you don''t have a window problem. What I suspect you are seeing is a window tilt which is normal. You will get it in a lot of gemstones depending on the style of cut and the material itself. In your case, I doubt it can be improved with a recut.

Agree. I think it is a very pretty statement piece, and doesn''t bother me at all. It''s lovely :)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a gorgeous ring!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, I think that stone looks pretty nice. I''ve got a few checkerboards myself: pink topaz. Yours is much nicer than mine!

Ditto what the others have said about the window!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "void" you're talking about appears to be a tilt window, and the result of a large gem with a low RI. I do not see a head on window, but it's difficult to tell from your pictures. If you're not truly happy with the gem, you can probably find another large inexpensive and callibrated gem to put in there, but the tilt window might not go away. A recut wouldn't be worth it since it's a very inexpensive gem. It appears to be a large stone so getting a rarer gem would be very expensive in that size. Perhaps another prasiolite, an amethyst, citrine, very light colored aqua. A jeweler can measure the setting for you to get the size of the stone you need. The setting is very nice, and if you didn't pay that much, it may be wroth obtaining a replacement stone for it if the window of the prasiolite is bothering you too much.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Whew! Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou.

I noticed on the Colored Stones page that there were responses, and I clicked with a little fear, worried I''d see "wow, that''s a laughably BAD stone". WHEW.

Chrono -- Thank you for being first and not having the feared comment.
36.gif

Burberry and Vesper -- Thank you!

Cellentani -- Thanks, and I love that bark detail!

TL -- Thank you. I think that it''s more the tilt window is different for me b/c I''m used to step cuts or the pinpoint sparkle of a round. It bothered me more that I might have a majorly flawed cut, but now that you guys have relieved me of that worry, I can embrace the difference.
1.gif
The stone is 14mm in both length and width, so it just missed my being able to plop my 12mm asscher into it. Now I can just ENJOY my "fun ring" like I''m supposed to, and not worry myself to death that my husband wasted his money. LOL!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a majorly fun ring. It looks better than most inexpensive rings, but it probably is a very nice ring to begin with. Just wear it and enjoy. Frankly, I enjoy some of my cheaper stones more, because I can wear them without worry. If they chip, I''ve already gotten my money''s worth, and a replacement won''t cost that much either.

Some day I''m going to get me one of those honking big rings! Thanks for the pictures!!
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a gorgeous ring. Tilt window drives me nuts too, luckily my stones are very small. But i''d say just enjoy it as a fun ring. Get something else down the road.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 4:13:34 PM
Author: Chrono
Fiery,

Chrono is right, as usual! You were drawn to the ring; enjoy it!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s really pretty! Have fun wearing it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy molly, 14 mm is very substantial so even if you go with a replacement stone, it’ll be difficult to find and/or expensive. It is a very pretty ring and I’m sure now that you understand about RI and tilt windows, you’ll come to see it differently and love it all over again.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your fun ring! Just wear it and enjoy it. It looks like a very nice stone and setting.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, everybody! :)

Fly Girl - Hehe, yes, everyone needs a fun "Big Honker"!

Chrono - Yep, I love it (again) already!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results